Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | What Do Our RFA's Sign For Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Do Our RFA's Get?

• Bouchard 1 Year up to $3 million

• Bouchard 1 Year $3-4 million

• Bouchard 1 Year Over $4 million

• Bouchard 2 Years <$3.5 million AAV

• Bouchard 2 Years $3.5-$4 million AAV

• Bouchard 2 Years > $4 million AAV

• Bouchard Longer Than 2 Years

• McLeod 1 Year >$1.5 million

• McLeod 1 Year $1.5 to $2 million

• McLeod 2 Years >$1.5 million AAV

• McLeod 2 Years $1.5 to $2 million AAV

• McLeod 2 Years Over $2 million AAV

• McLeod Longer Than 3 Years

• McLeod Traded

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
It really doesn't work that way.

If you are going to take that tact then we better wonder why we just gave a guy 4 million that played 4 games last year and 64 and 56 the two previous years.
Arbitration for a near rookie and signing a veteran to a contract are two different things.

Reactions: Anarchism

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Newhook at 4 x 2.9 is not a good sign for us. Not good at all. Mcleod will be awarded what, at minimum 2+? Probably closer to 2.5. It's hilarious how badly this is going to cripple us. The guy is a fourth liner.

Reactions: McDoused

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Newhook at 4 x 2.9 is not a good sign for us. Not good at all. Mcleod will be awarded what, at minimum 2+? Probably closer to 2.5. It's hilarious how badly this is going to cripple us. The guy is a fourth liner.
He's really more of a tweener. He's more than a 4th line center, but not a 3rd line center yet. He is growing into that role, but arbitrators shouldn't be giving out hopefully or what-if contracts

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Arbitration for a near rookie and signing a veteran to a contract are two different things.
That's a goal post shifter. Player paid value vs games played seemed to be your point.

A player that has arb rights is not a near rookie. Last two years mcleod has played 128 games. Brown 68.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
That's a goal post shifter. Player paid value vs games played seemed to be your point.

A player that has arb rights is not a near rookie. Last two years mcleod has played 128 games. Brown 68.
No it isn't. The topic is arbitration for a near rookie. You are the one who brought in an UFA contract signed by a team as a comparable.

Reactions: capazzo

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
That seems awfully low. They are taking Campbell and retaining 50% on Konecny? They probably don’t particularly want Ceci or McLeod either. I think we’d need to offer a lot more.

Well it depends what prospects/picks are included ultimately. On that deal above, ultimately you could take out Ceci (hes not needed to make the cap balance). I've said it before though, I dont think its a realistic trade.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Don't need Konecny. Spend dollars on things we need more. Were close enough that with the right couple of moves it could put us past Vegas and into the finals.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Don't need Konecny. Spend dollars on things we need more. Were close enough that with the right couple of moves it could put us past Vegas and into the finals.
Provorov would've been an awesome get. Funny how people are still looking at breaking the last we have of the bank on another player at the most unimportant position of the sport while our two biggest weaknesses are at defence and goaltending... (the two most important positions in my opinion).

What's Jake Virtanen up to? Gaetan Haas?

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Ken Holland inherited a team that was wading-pool deep and cap f***ed to Tuesday. A team that missed the playoffs twice in a row. A team that would immediately lose its under-priced top defenseman to a career-ending injury at 28 years old, which would put them into LTIR for four years. A team that based its top contracts around the idea of the cap going up, only for a pandemic to induce a three-year flat cap. A team that already had the challenge of being the Edmonton Oilers. And he's done a very good job with it despite all that IMO.

The Oilers have gone from a team that was pushing Ty Rattie and Alex Chiasson in the top six to a team that has Kane, Nuge, Hyman and Brown on a collective AAV of 16.5M dollars. It's the best top-six group in the league and they just put up one of the highest-scoring seasons in modern NHL history. Their bottom six, still a work in progress, just finished the year with 10+ goals each. At the time he started, it could politely be described as a group of non-NHL players.

The Oilers are identifying pro players far better than they have in decades. They're developing later picks into actual, promising young players. I don't think the Oilers have been a more functional organization since the 1980s. Seriously.

"The Oilers aren't good enough" Yes, they are. They've lost to a Colorado team at the height of their possible power which immediately lost half of its forward depth to the cap. They lost to a Vegas team running a 96M dollar roster (and gave it a better fight than anyone), and even that series turned on a goalie injury and a hot back-up.

No team is without flaws on July 1 in a flat cap. The Knights gave away Reilly Smith for nothing just to become cap compliant. Boston just lost so much talent. Toronto shuffled Bunting, O'Reilly and Holl for Bertuzzi, Domi and Klingberg. Tampa had to let Killorn walk. Florida replaced Gudas with Ekman-Larsson. Colorado added two players with negative contracts in order to rebuild some of its depth semi-affordably. The Wild are the same team pretty much completely. *THESE ARE THE OTHER GOOD TEAMS*

These are the good times. You can say "should have won the Cup" or "the Cup is the only success". I get it, I do, but you're calling a B+ job an F because it isn't an A and you're missing the good times. The times when we know the Oilers go into a season as maybe one of seven teams most people wouldn't blink at winning the Cup. The times where the Oilers make the playoffs with home ice advantage for 4 straight years. The times where the Oilers have their handcuffs off at the deadline.

46A7CC57-9676-4651-A018-F14557521B0E.gif

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Provorov would've been an awesome get. Funny how people are still looking at breaking the last we have of the bank on another player at the most unimportant position of the sport while our two biggest weaknesses are at defence and goaltending... (the two most important positions in my opinion).

What's Jake Virtanen up to? Gaetan Haas?
In order of importance....because of reasons...

1) 3rd pair vet RD (could even share position with Desi- 1st because easy to achieve and cheap)

2) Goaltending (2nd because our position here is awkward-Holland doesn't even try)

3) Third line centre ...no matter what Holland says McLeod is unready and may never be.

4) Grit/aggressiveness -- Nurse is toeing the line but shouldn't be obviously.

5) Power forward cycle guy for the 4th line and would be nice if he was a stand up guy too. Examples are Comtois, Olivier, Entwistle.

Fix any three of these five with the right guys and your looking at the finals.
Its achievable right now...but some hard decisions would have to be made including prospects and futures....and likely at least one current player.
But you know ....a 2nd round pick is so valuable here.
Is now not the time to mortgage the future?
Lets win the cup this year...next year we can sell high on Draisaitl and win the cup again. LOL how many angry bees will appear.

Last edited:

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
The band is playing. Holland has done okay.
Lets look at some things

Broberg vs. Zegras (yzerboys suggestion)
Anthanasiou --- the boy had the worst plus minus on the planet. (Yzerboy bent him again)
Duncan Keith -- the height of wasted opportunity costs. And he paid a middling price to do it.
Middle 6 -- Holland has tried for 4 years to fix the bottom 6 and in creative ways. Its far from fixed now.
Goaltending -- He tried three summers here and finally got desperate and handed a 5 x 5 contract to an unproven with obvious consistency problems.

Holland has done ok ...but with Connor and Leon in the stable far from perfect.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Here's the thing.

Yes, Holland has done some good and some bad. But is that good enough?

You want to talk about the cap situation. I get it. So... what kind of cap situation is he leaving the next man up? It's not good. Nurse and Campbell are albatross contracts, the prospect pool is poor, and - assuming Holland retires after next year - the next guy has the unenviable task of trying to get Leon Draisaitl to re-up for 80% of what he could likely get on the open market. The Kane and Hyman deals won't age well. Those things would be fine if this team had a Cup, or a finals appearance to show for it, but they do not.

So I ask... how do you give a B+ for three playoff series wins with two of the best players in the NHL, a capped out roster, a bottom five prospect pool. looming UFA for Draisaitl? I can't. I'd give him a C+. I'm not quite as doom and gloom as some, but this team is at a point where any season that's not a finals appearance is a loss. We were totally outclassed by Colorado. We showed better against Vegas, but they were still the better team by a good bit. Does getting the band back together + Brown tip the scales in our favour? Probably not.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Here's the thing.

Yes, Holland has done some good and some bad. But is that good enough?

You want to talk about the cap situation. I get it. So... what kind of cap situation is he leaving the next man up? It's not good. Nurse and Campbell are albatross contracts, the prospect pool is poor, and - assuming Holland retires after next year - the next guy has the unenviable task of trying to get Leon Draisaitl to re-up for 80% of what he could likely get on the open market. The Kane and Hyman deals won't age well. Those things would be fine if this team had a Cup, or a finals appearance to show for it, but they do not.

So I ask... how do you give a B+ for three playoff series wins with two of the best players in the NHL, a capped out roster, a bottom five prospect pool. looming UFA for Draisaitl? I can't. I'd give him a C+. I'm not quite as doom and gloom as some, but this team is at a point where any season that's not a finals appearance is a loss. We were totally outclassed by Colorado. We showed better against Vegas, but they were still the better team by a good bit. Does getting the band back together + Brown tip the scales in our favour? Probably not.

I'd agree but on top of that I'd add the blue line still isn't good and the goaltending ... lol. No one here really even knows who the starter on this team is or if we even have one, just a lot of hopes and wishes. After 4 years of work there should be more stability on the back end and in net.

Is Holland better than Chiarelli sure. But even an average GM given McDavid and Draisaitl are even better players than they were 4 years ago should be able to have a team that can make the playoffs without much fuss and win a round here and there (McDavid was a 40 goal scorer 4 years ago ... today he's a 60+ goal scorer) ... so I view the results as average given having McDavid and Draisaitl.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'd agree but on top of that I'd add the blue line still isn't good and the goaltending ... lol. No one here really even knows who the starter on this team is or if we even have one, just a lot of hopes and wishes. After 4 years of work there should be more stability on the back end and in net.

Is Holland better than Chiarelli sure. But even an average GM given McDavid and Draisaitl are even better players than they were 4 years ago should be able to have a team that can make the playoffs without much fuss and win a round here and there (McDavid was a 40 goal scorer 4 years ago ... today he's a 60+ goal scorer) ... so I view the results as average given having McDavid and Draisaitl.
"Good is the enemy of great". It's tempting to be satisfied with having a competitive team - a good team - after being shit for so long, but honestly, that kind of attitude holds the team back from achieving what it could, and should. a 150 point season and a 125 point season from two guys on the same team... to only win 6 playoff games, is a disappointment. People aren't talking about it as much because Boston crashed even harder, but the goal next season has to be Cup or bust. Nothing else is acceptable.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Totally unrelated, but I was pretty surprised to read that Matvei Michkov didn't want to be drafted by the Capitals. With all the Russians they've had I would have thought it would be a natural fit.

Didn't want to be drafted by the Coyotes either... but that doesn't surprise me

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
GMs that are better than Holland - who would we say?
Vegas, Avs, Tampa, Jersey, Carolina - maybe dallas - who else? I don't think it's that long a list and a few of those teams have also gotten lucky and have natural advantages over the Oilers based on their market.

It's one thing to say a GM on a rebuilding team like Chicago, Ottawa etc is doing good, but another to see how those teams actually shake out

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Vegas, Avs, Tampa, Jersey, Carolina - maybe dallas - who else? I don't think it's that long a list and a few of those teams have also gotten lucky and have natural advantages over the Oilers based on their market.

It's one thing to say a GM on a rebuilding team like Chicago, Ottawa etc is doing good, but another to see how those teams actually shake out

He's average at best IMO. As much I don't like the guy, give Treleiving McDavid and Draisaitl, I'm pretty sure he could have win two playoff rounds in 4 years.

Chevy is the best GM in Canada, he's just not lucky enough to be blessed with a superstar talent like McDavid or even Drai or Matthews. You look at that haul he got for a player that everyone and their grandma knew wanted out in PLD.

There's no team in Canada that I think has amazing management. The Cup drought is well deserved.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I think you have to consider having Florida on that list, after a President's Trophy and a Cup finals and it sure looks like they sold high on Huberdeau. Until recently I'd have had Yzerman on that list but he's done some weird shit this offseason. I'd consider having Seattle on that list too. Francis got dumped on for some of his choices in the expansion draft but the proof is in the pudding. Possibly St. Louis too.

I don't think it's as simple as looking at the good teams and going "those guys". Some of these guys are so new it's very hard to say.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The excuses for losing are completely internalized on this board. It's not hilarious it's sad.

Trade McLeod for starters. Holland, get your ass moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad