Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | What Do Our RFA's Sign For Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Do Our RFA's Get?

• Bouchard 1 Year up to $3 million

• Bouchard 1 Year $3-4 million

• Bouchard 1 Year Over $4 million

• Bouchard 2 Years <$3.5 million AAV

• Bouchard 2 Years $3.5-$4 million AAV

• Bouchard 2 Years > $4 million AAV

• Bouchard Longer Than 2 Years

• McLeod 1 Year >$1.5 million

• McLeod 1 Year $1.5 to $2 million

• McLeod 2 Years >$1.5 million AAV

• McLeod 2 Years $1.5 to $2 million AAV

• McLeod 2 Years Over $2 million AAV

• McLeod Longer Than 3 Years

• McLeod Traded

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
How much money do we think Jeannot is going to get? Tampa's over the cap already. Gave up a lot to get him at the deadline and he did nothing for them. Are they gonna be interested in making room for him?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Zadina brings nothing to the table. He was labelled as a scorer at the draft and he certainly hasn’t done so ever since. The most we should do is a PTO
Yup, I don't see the fit here for a player that's walked away from $4 million to bet on himself. There's potential to compete for the 3RW position but that's a tertiary role where he's not going to get PP time or top six minutes. It's not a good bet on himself to redeem his career (and future earnings).

I love reclamation projects on high pedigree talent. But Zadina will need and want more certainty to reboot his career.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Just out of curiosity I looked up some offensive stats for current and ex-Oilers and a few players that have been spoken about in threads/convos as possible adds to the Oilers...

Pts per 60 at 5v5 over the past 3 regular seasons:

McDavid 2.90
Draisaitl 2.51
E Kane 2.17
Hyman 2.17
Kostin 1.83
Connor Brown 1.72
Jesper Boqvist 1.70
Foegele 1.67
RNH 1.65
Maxime Comtois 1.65
Derek Ryan 1.62
McLeod 1.48
Pius Suter 1.46
Yamamoto 1.44
Denis Gurianov 1.43
Tyler Motte 1.42
Brendan Lemieux 1.39
Janmark 1.36
Noah Gregor 1.31
Devin Shore 1.28
Holloway 1.20
Caggiula 1.16
Zach Aston-Reese 1.08
Filip Zadina 1.07
Austin Watson 1.04
Brad Malone 1.01
Lane Pederson 0.83
Zack MacEwen 0.79
Greg McKegg 0.66

Bouchard 1.32
Nurse 1.09
Ekholm 1.03
Cam Dineen 0.89
Ceci 0.85
Broberg 0.82
Kulak 0.80
Desharnais 0.60
Niemelainen 0.14
% vs 5 Pts per 60 is an extremely noisy stat. If Leon Draisaitl is ranked at 41st and Morgan Geekie is 32nd amongst player playing 300 + minutes you know there is a problem.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It eliminates context entirely.
Exactly. It can be useful in certain situations. For example in comparing how a player produced with various line mates on the same team. But even then it still requires context.

BY the way Draisaitl is 41st not 451st. The later was a typo on my part.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Kostin is so terrible defensively that he's a +12 and Mcleod is a +4. Kostin is also a bruiser and brings a lot more grit than Mcleod

Except he never penalty killed with Edmonton and in playoffs he barely played late in games or overtime

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Is he going to want a two year deal given he's given up some money? Seems like he probably is going to look for the best fit for him and try makeup some money in year 2.

Maybe not. But that’s what I’d be offering him. No sense in pumping his value back up only to have to dump him, like Kostin

Zadina brings nothing to the table. He was labelled as a scorer at the draft and he certainly hasn’t done so ever since. The most we should do is a PTO

We’re talking about giving a contract that can be entirely buried to a 23 year old who was considered top 3 in his draft. He hasn’t done great, no. But that’s why he’d be available cheap to take a gamble on. The absolute worst case scenario is we’re paying him nothing against the cap to be in Bakersfield instead of a guy like Justin Bailey

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Maybe not. But that’s what I’d be offering him. No sense in pumping his value back up only to have to dump him, like Kostin

We’re talking about giving a contract that can be entirely buried to a 23 year old who was considered top 3 in his draft. He hasn’t done great, no. But that’s why he’d be available cheap to take a gamble on. The absolute worst case scenario is we’re paying him nothing against the cap to be in Bakersfield instead of a guy like Justin Bailey
Didn’t he have his contract terminated because he informed the Red Wings he would not report to the AHL if assigned?

Don’t get me wrong. I’m fine bringing him to camp on a PTO, but I wouldn’t bank on him as a Bakersfield guy if he didn’t make the team.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Didn’t he have his contract terminated because he informed the Red Wings he would not report to the AHL if assigned?

Don’t get me wrong. I’m fine bringing him to camp on a PTO, but I wouldn’t bank on him as a Bakersfield guy if he didn’t make the team.

Then he can request to terminate his contract again. The point is, there’s no downside

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yup, I don't see the fit here for a player that's walked away from $4 million to bet on himself. There's potential to compete for the 3RW position but that's a tertiary role where he's not going to get PP time or top six minutes. It's not a good bet on himself to redeem his career (and future earnings).

I love reclamation projects on high pedigree talent. But Zadina will need and want more certainty to reboot his career.
I see a fit considering we're pretty shallow at RW. A free wallet pedigree winger at under $1m just seems like the kind of gamble a competitive team should take.

It's a player that Holland and Wright both have a very good read on. And another rookie we're likely trying to ease into a full time role next season was a teammate, if not linemate in junior. Still need some clarification there.

Seattle made due last season running a skill fourth line giving them the soft parade. And if 11/7 is on the menu again next season a revolving door of Holloway, Zadina and Lavoie might make due up until the trade deadline. It's also a good, cheap fallback if Brown's knee doesn't hold up.

We've had a kid from Pardubice have some success here before.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I like Mcleod as a 4C but he has zero finish to be a 3C on a championship team. It's why we acquired Bujstad last trade deadline.
This isn't really accurate.

McLeod G/60 last year: 0.84
Bjugstad G/60 as a Coyote: 0.83

Bjugstad just got 2 minutes more a game in icetime.

Pacing for 16 goals and ~35 points as a 3C is pretty decent.

McLeod took a *very* team friendly deal last year and was likely promised it would be made up to him. I don't blame him in the least for taking the team to arbitration.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
This isn't really accurate.

McLeod G/60 last year: 0.84
Bjugstad G/60 as a Coyote: 0.83

Bjugstad just got 2 minutes more a game in icetime.

Yeah, Mcleod scored at a 16 goal pace last season playing bottom six minutes. That's not bad at all. Here's hoping he can take another step forward this season and not pull a Pulju/Yams on us.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I see a fit considering we're pretty shallow at RW. A free wallet pedigree winger at under $1m just seems like the kind of gamble a competitive team should take.

It's a player that Holland and Wright both have a very good read on. And another rookie we're likely trying to ease into a full time role next season was a teammate, if not linemate in junior. Still need some clarification there.

Seattle made due last season running a skill fourth line giving them the soft parade. And if 11/7 is on the menu again next season a revolving door of Holloway, Zadina and Lavoie might make due up until the trade deadline. It's also a good, cheap fallback if Brown's knee doesn't hold up.

We've had a kid from Pardubice have some success here before.
The team fit is absolutely there. What I posted is the player's perspective. He walked away from $4 million for greater certainty and situation to succeed as the high skill producer he was drafted as. That's not fighting for a 3W roster on a largely constructed roster.

I think I've heard of the kid from Pardubice. That's irrelevant to Zadina's situation of fighting to establish himself as an NHL skill player who's paid a $4 million price tag to find the best landing spot to redeem his career and significant lost career earnings. Like I posted, I love reclamation projects, especially high pedigree ones.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Woof that’s an ugly contract

I don't think there is a bigger litmus test for good vs. shitty GM than judging them on their impulse to overpay bottom 6 players, especially ones that are guaranteed to produce essentially zero offense.

The Nucks are pretty much the Nucks due to Dim Jim's impulse to do this annually.

I never understood the MacEwen love he is a nothing player at the end of the day.

It isnt as bad of a contract as you think it is 775k per year for 3 years. He got term at league min.

ah that makes sense. I read that as the AAV not the total deal.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I like Mcleod as a 4C but he has zero finish to be a 3C on a championship team. It's why we acquired Bujstad last trade deadline.
Why not?.. He was one of our best players in the Vegas series and he's poised for a breakout year. Nick was brought in for depth and help on faceoffs. Your tweet won't age well lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad