Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Vegas Claim & Somehow Assign Lavoie to Farm... because Oilers.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
Ultimately it’s the cap space. Also if they are considering signing one of Shattenkirk, Jultz, or Giordano, they’ll need it.

How much cap space do they clear? I'm guessing it's a little bit more with him gone entirely than him at Bakersfield? (Even if not, it's not like they had a choice since Vegas decided to f*** around to begin with)

How we just lost Lavoie is so screwed up. How another team can farm him makes no sense whatsoever. It’s just slightly less shady than Edmonton owes Calgary a 3rd.

Yeah, quite the garbage rule set. Did they just change this this season? Absurd, really

This has nothing to do with Vegas and everything to do with that “third team” that put in a claim when we were trying to pick him up and then not putting a claim today.

f*** you Colorado Vancouver or whichever other team did this

Not sure what the obsession other teams have with being cucked by Vegas. Goes back to the idiot teams that handed them good players in the draft

North

Jun 25, 2009
How much cap space do they clear? I'm guessing it's a little bit more with him gone entirely than him at Bakersfield? (Even if not, it's not like they had a choice since Vegas decided to f*** around to begin with)
I’d imagine whoever they do sign would be pretty much close to what Lavoie was making.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Please correct me if wrong, but doesn't Lavoie have to clear waivers again if called up to the NHL? Could we claim him back at that point?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I wonder if we'll find out what third team purposely screwed us over

Sure would be nice to know. Why would you put in a claim yesterday and not today unless it’s more or less collusion with Vegas?

Please correct me if wrong, but doesn't Lavoie have to clear waivers again if called up to the NHL? Could we claim him back at that point?

No. Re entry waivers are gone

North

Jun 25, 2009
It’s not like Vegas has a lot of great prospects so I’m not surprised they did this but Lavoie shouldn’t get too comfortable because he’ll most likely be a throw in for Vegas’ yearly shiny toy trade.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011

I don't think you need to clear waivers when called up. But if he doesn't stick and they waive him, the Oilers could put in a claim.

They have lost priority now, so that third team really f***ed them over (quelle surprise!)

Reactions: Bobieque

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
They changed that rule a while ago now, so re entry waivers aren’t really a thing anymore between AHL and NHL if they’ve cleared previously to go down.

Reactions: Bobieque

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
Another young prospect that oilers put into developing turns into smoke. Oilers are old and slow as shit with basically nothing in the pipeline. There was definitely some scheming going on in the background with Vegas and the mystery team. What a bloody joke.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It would seem to me its the Oilers fault waiving Lavoie in the first place and setting the table for that when we could use him as opposed to the several old deadweights the org decided to dress and have as starters.

This org in how it manages cap deserves to lose its prospects and has. Just more of that and the org being awful at asset management.
Well, he nearly backstopped them to one last season so not sure how you can say that with such certainty.
This is a guy who went toe to toe with Oettinger and Bobrovsky and it's not like the Oilers had a 70s Canadiens defense sheltering him. This seems to be forgotten because of 1 regular season game.

The reality is that I don't see how you can find a clearly better goalie than Skinner and what do you do? Trade Skinner in the package too because any high level starter is going to come with a big price tag.

The realistic path to improving the team is the defense. Skinner is good enough to win them a Cup, as evidenced by last season.
Sorry, but this is not cause and effect. The Oilers got to the SC final despite Skinner being a detriment in the Vancouver series. Without heroic efforts from many players we don't get out of the Vancouver series. Skinner is a sub average playoff goalie. The Oilers got to the final, and the causal relationship is due to several great players playing out of their minds.

Lol, dude- that's a horrible bet. the fact that you think Barrie is a top 4 d-man has you losing the bet. Most of Nurse being garbage is a result of Nurse making piss poor decisions that have nothing to do with his partner.
FWIW I watched the whole SJ game and Ceci looked better playing for them than he did here playing with Nurse. This not to be confused with the "I want Ceci back" type posts but I wish the Nurse contract was gone so that we could fill it with D even willing to defend.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Boner Pills

Jan 25, 2013
Edmonton
This whole Lavoie situation seriously pisses me off. What's the point of even drafting if it's not first overall.

And I know I'm in the minority, but I actually liked Ceci. For his $3M cap we get three million dollar turds in Stetcher, Dermott, and Brown, with the first two being Arizona's #6/7's.

My expectations couldn't be lower for this season.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
Another prospect from the previous regime gone, just like with Holland and being quick to part with Chiarelli's former picks.

As modern as a GM can be, this is something that I feel will likely never change.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I disagree, they got within one win in spite of Skinner, not because of him. He was pulled in the Van series and Pickard saved their asses in game 6. Thankfully he found his game in game 7. Their speed overmatched Dallas but he did play better. In the finals, in game 3 they were up then Florida pumped 3 goals by him in 10 minutes. Again, they were fortunate enough to drag it to 7 games after being down 3-0.

There’s a large enough sample size on him to show he’s wildly inconsistent and it’s hard to win with inconsistent goaltending. It’s no secret the defense and goaltending are the issues. With not much cap space Bowman will have some tinkering to do but I’d be more inclined to try and fix the goaltending than the D because good goaltending can bail out a mediocre defense but inconsistent goaltending won’t.
I've posted the game by game numbers of Skinner in the playoffs. He struggled in the early Vancouver series big time and got lit up a few times in the Kings series but there was a lot of 1's and 2's given up in the second half of the playoffs, he outright stole a few notable games as well the pivotal Game 4 of the Kings series and the Western Conference clinching Game 6 against Dallas. He has inconsistencies like most goalies in the league nowadays mainly because scoring is way up in the league for whatever reason.

My general point isn't to say that Skinner is without flaws. My point is that he was good enough to backstop the team to a Cup victory as illustrated by them making it to Game 7 of the finals and only giving up 2 goals in that Game 7 although the GWG was a stinker.
My other point is that I don't see a pathway to bringing in a goalie that is CLEARLY better than Skinner unless you have some names that are available that can fit that bill.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It would seem to me its the Oilers fault waiving Lavoie in the first place and setting the table for that when we could use him as opposed to the several old deadweights the org decided to dress and have as starters.

This org in how it manages cap deserves to lose its prospects and has. Just more of that and the org being awful at asset management.

Sorry, but this is not cause and effect. The Oilers got to the SC final despite Skinner being a detriment in the Vancouver series. Without heroic efforts from many players we don't get out of the Vancouver series. Skinner is a sub average playoff goalie. The Oilers got to the final, and the causal relationship is due to several great players playing out of their minds.

FWIW I watched the whole SJ game and Ceci looked better playing for them than he did here playing with Nurse. This not to be confused with the "I want Ceci back" type posts but I wish the Nurse contract was gone so that we could fill it with D even willing to defend.
Lavoie is not really the main issue here. The overreaching topic is asset management.

How many high draft picks walk out the door with little or no compensation?

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
This whole Lavoie situation seriously pisses me off. What's the point of even drafting if it's not first overall.

And I know I'm in the minority, but I actually liked Ceci. For his $3M cap we get three million dollar turds in Stetcher, Dermott, and Brown, with the first two being Arizona's #6/7's.

My expectations couldn't be lower for this season.

Nah, you're not alone, at least not anymore. Plenty of fans of Ceci now that he's gone (not saying that you weren't a fan of him before, but some, I would question if that's actually the case).

Reactions: Boner Pills

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I wish nothing but misery and torture for that Vegas org
Well, the Oilers could have like not waived him not once but twice. The vitriol should be reserved for Oilers management not Vegas.

With that said, it's not like Lavoie is a critical piece but just more evidence of this organization not prioritizing development through how many regimes now, since the 80s?

They better win the Cup this season because they're pretty much going to be cooked in the not too distant future unless they can magically unload the Nurse contract and, no, this has little to do with losing Lavoie.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Lavoie is not really the main issue here. The overreaching topic is asset management.

How many high draft picks walk out the door with little or no compensation?
What greater display of poor asset management prospect mismanagement do we need than losing 4 top prospects in one offseason?

This org is terrible at it since Booch. To the degree that maybe its moot point it throws drafts away like confetti. We lose the good ones anyway.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
We can’t afford him because we signed 15 3rd pair Dmen, but Lilligren from the Leafs apparently requested a trade and is miles better than any of our 2RD options now. He’s a bit soft which might be an issue in playoffs but as of now he’s comfortably better than Emberson, Stecher or Dermott.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad