Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
B/c I don't think Jackson is that dumb to just create that much negative PR. What is the point? He skewered CHI cap.

Then again, you assume Katz isn't this dumb either. It just smells of EDM thinking they are smarter than other teams IMO. I'm an EDM fan too.

I cannot even think of a logical point to hire him if this scandal stuff never even happened.

I read into some of that. Don't know what it's about. We have some bad owners like Vancouvers
Whoever Jackson hires it will be his decision. The guy didn't leave a lucrative career with autonomy and far less exposure to be a yes man to a meddlesome owner.

If people trust Jackson for the decisions he's made since taking over the same the same principles apply with the process of making his most important hire and the most important hire moving forward for this franchise's success short, midterm, and long term.

Jackson's been a bold and assertive decision maker since taking this job and jumping into the fire of an organizational CEO position. Everyone is removed from his job search process and due diligence so we wait and see who he arrives at. Make zero mistake though this is Jackson's hire. He'll report his decision to Katz along with the rationale and instincts which have been solid to date.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Hey Henrique. I know we just traded for you, but how about a 3x2 in the off season? C'mon man...Anything is a possibility, but the timing of the reported signings indicates otherwise. I have no idea why Louis got his panties in a bunch when i praised JJ for doing a good job. There was at least one report of Holland not being happy when he left, and it's fair to surmise that the hiring of JJ above him being the main cause. Holland may have advised JJ, but he certainly wasn't calling the shots.
One thing is for sure. Holland was sure AF not advising during the draft OR FA.
Not sure why things have to be a binary Jackson or Holland. It's far more likely a case of Jackson and Holland. By all reports Jackson had great respect for Holland and the two worked well together through an awkward external imposed change in succession plan.

We don't know specifics about Holland not being happy when he left just innuendo made from Maclean and Shannon in a podcast. Reality is that Katz's reputation as an interventionist owner extends back to the Yakupov/Murray draft. What we also heard was that Holland allegedly having a likely professional conversation clarifying with his boss that Jackson likely wanted his own guy in place for the GM position. Some talk though that Jackson and Holland did speak about a form of senior advisor role to stay. But like in Detroit that didn't have appeal for autonomous Holland.

Lots of great forward movement this summer. Reality is likely that alot of it builds from a positive, professional transition period that saw the team go to game 7 and two goals away from a Stanley Cup. A great base to build from with the moves made this summer and the next phase beginning soon under a Jackson new GM and their leadership team.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Not sure why things have to be a binary Jackson or Holland. It's far more likely a case of Jackson and Holland. By all reports Jackson had great respect for Holland and the two worked well together through an awkward external imposed change in succession plan.

We don't know specifics about Holland not being happy when he left just innuendo made from Maclean and Shannon in a podcast. Reality is that Katz's reputation as an interventionist owner extends back to the Yakupov/Murray draft. What we also heard was that Holland allegedly having a likely professional conversation clarifying with his boss that Jackson likely wanted his own guy in place for the GM position. Some talk though that Jackson and Holland did speak about a form of senior advisor role to stay. But like in Detroit that didn't have appeal for autonomous Holland.

Lots of great forward movement this summer. Reality is likely that alot of it builds from a positive, professional transition period that saw the team go to game 7 and two goals away from a Stanley Cup. A great base to build from with the moves made this summer and the next phase beginning soon under a Jackson new GM and their leadership team.

I think Jackson respects Hollands experience and I think they both kept it professional but I doubt they were overly buddy buddy with each other.

Its clear that Jackson wasn’t happy with Hollands drafting and development. But overall he probably appreciated the job he did.

Holland probably didn’t like that he was overstepped. I mean he joined here as president and GM so he had full control. Katz hired and created a new position to put someone above Holland. It obviously rubbed Holland the wrong way, but he’s professional enough and knew that it was his last year.

Things seemed amicable and professional. Nothing wrong with that.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think Jackson respects Hollands experience and I think they both kept it professional but I doubt they were overly buddy buddy with each other.

Its clear that Jackson wasn’t happy with Hollands drafting and development. But overall he probably appreciated the job he did.

Holland probably didn’t like that he was overstepped. I mean he joined here as president and GM so he had full control. Katz hired and created a new position to put someone above Holland. It obviously rubbed Holland the wrong way, but he’s professional enough and knew that it was his last year.

Things seemed amicable and professional. Nothing wrong with that.
We have no information on this to draw a conclusion. Jackson's a professional negotiator who by occupation has had to work effectively with a wide variety of personality types. He also had a longstanding business relationship with Holland. And Holland as such as well.

Holland had an extremely long leash in Detroit in a sustaining phase of a highly successful franchise. He came into a highly dysfunctional organization and delivered stability. He's also been around the block enough to know that a clear succession plan is required for any operation. It changed with decisions above him to bring in Jackson. The key word is professionalism. Don't have to like it but there's always an open door to choose to leave if not in agreement or alignment or lack of respect involved. Holland had already earned the highest financial compensation awarded for this job for his tenure in Edmonton.

Holland did a lot of good things to bring stability and nurture a winning culture. But there were most definitely some blind spots like draft and development; traditional, more methodical decision making (aka slower); contract negotiations often player friendly (keeping with Oiler historically overpaying).

Jackson came in to modernize the organization's approach. Certainly this can't be easy for the incumbent guy's ego or pride. But by action alone the transition pulled a lot of aces with new head coach hiring; patience not panicking on goaltending; effective trade deadline and subsequent re-signing. We don't know about replacing Wright with Pracey but a key first round pick was stagnating in Bakersfield and not alot of depth help showing.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
It's not a rumor if it came straight from JJs mouth.

He did a podcast and said something like 'we would love to have Paul back on the coaching staff next year'. He said how he and Coffey live in Ontario with family/business commitments which makes it very hard to be with the team everyday like required by a GM / coach.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Stauffer has been hinting for about a week that he thinks Coffey will be back
If Coffey can smell a cup I suspect he would want to be part of that.

His legacy with the Oilers was slightly tarnished with how his departure went down. Not that I think this plays a role in his decision but what better way to go out than to be a big part of another win.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Hey Henrique. I know we just traded for you, but how about a 3x2 in the off season? C'mon man...Anything is a possibility, but the timing of the reported signings indicates otherwise. I have no idea why Louis got his panties in a bunch when i praised JJ for doing a good job. There was at least one report of Holland not being happy when he left, and it's fair to surmise that the hiring of JJ above him being the main cause. Holland may have advised JJ, but he certainly wasn't calling the shots.
One thing is for sure. Holland was sure AF not advising during the draft OR FA.
There was talk soon after the trade that Oilers wanted Henrique to resign. Very good possibility thre offer was already presented and Henrique wanted to see what else was out there.

Reactions: McDoused

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

His legacy with the Oilers was slightly tarnished with how his departure went down. Not that I think this plays a role in his decision but what better way to go out than to be a big part of another win.
I think while Coffey would prefer to be in the C-suite instead of on the bench and that’s the plan long term, I also think all of him, Jackson and Knoblauch that continuity is going to be key this season and the team would be best served with him on the bench.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
We have no information on this to draw a conclusion. Jackson's a professional negotiator who by occupation has had to work effectively with a wide variety of personality types. He also had a longstanding business relationship with Holland. And Holland as such as well.

Holland had an extremely long leash in Detroit in a sustaining phase of a highly successful franchise. He came into a highly dysfunctional organization and delivered stability. He's also been around the block enough to know that a clear succession plan is required for any operation. It changed with decisions above him to bring in Jackson. The key word is professionalism. Don't have to like it but there's always an open door to choose to leave if not in agreement or alignment or lack of respect involved. Holland had already earned the highest financial compensation awarded for this job for his tenure in Edmonton.

Holland did a lot of good things to bring stability and nurture a winning culture. But there were most definitely some blind spots like draft and development; traditional, more methodical decision making (aka slower); contract negotiations often player friendly (keeping with Oiler historically overpaying).

Jackson came in to modernize the organization's approach. Certainly this can't be easy for the incumbent guy's ego or pride. But by action alone the transition pulled a lot of aces with new head coach hiring; patience not panicking on goaltending; effective trade deadline and subsequent re-signing. We don't know about replacing Wright with Pracey but a key first round pick was stagnating in Bakersfield and not alot of depth help showing.

Well I recall Jackson basically saying that when he was hired, it was pretty much acknowledged by Holland that he would finish the year and then part ways.

Wright got fired. And Pracey/Larsson got hired while Holland was GM. Pretty sure neither guy was a Holland hire. Knoblauch also wasn’t a Holland hire.

You can pretty much read between the lines.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Pocklington wanted to pay him with an apartment building. A walk-up I believe.

Cant blame the guy for saying no to that.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
It's not a rumor if it came straight from JJs mouth.

He did a podcast and said something like 'we would love to have Paul back on the coaching staff next year'. He said how he and Coffey live in Ontario with family/business commitments which makes it very hard to be with the team everyday like required by a GM / coach.

There was talk soon after the trade that Oilers wanted Henrique to resign. Very good possibility thre offer was already presented and Henrique wanted to see what else was out there.
Considering he took quite a pay cut to sign with us, you'll have to excuse my doubt.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Well I recall Jackson basically saying that when he was hired, it was pretty much acknowledged by Holland that he would finish the year and then part ways.

Wright got fired. And Pracey/Larsson got hired while Holland was GM. Pretty sure neither guy was a Holland hire. Knoblauch also wasn’t a Holland hire.

You can pretty much read between the lines.
They're running a billion dollar business not a social club. Both men acted professional and the outcome of their collaboration served the team well. Reading between the lines both delivered their professional paid duties with respectful collaboration as anticipated. And by reputation placing the good of the organization over any personal differences.

Reported that Holland suggested to Jackson that he likely wanted to hire his own guy and have the room to build the organization's future. Just like in Detroit where Holland was replaced by pupil Yzerman and chose to leave rather than take a senior advisory role within the only organization he'd ever known. He's been in this business like a half century and understands deeply how it operates and respects it. No idea if they'll exchange Christmas cards...

In the big picture it is likely a smart decision to hire their golden goose's agent to take over the club at this critical junction including need to resign McDavid. But the leadership decisions to date have all been positive through the succession plan season with Holland.

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
What do you think he is worth and tell me what his other offers were?

Pretty easy to do a google search. Hell, i even found it on the same site you referenced.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The less we talk about what Pocklington did in the 80's the happier we will be
He did own a team that won 5 cups.

Those banners are still hanging there. No buy low on Gretzky, no championships. No sell high, no hatred.

Truly stayed around long enough to be a villain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad