Biggest pet peeves in hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Loud obnoxious drunks in the stands near me.

Public intoxication used to be a crime.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Haven't read much of this thread but...

Pulling your goalie with more than 90 seconds left in the game, and the other team clinches it through an ENG within 10 seconds of being pulled. You still had some time left to pressure 5 on 5 but now, with 2 precious minutes left, the game is over.

A team is flying on a PP rush, entering the zone with speed and control and you can see the other team's Pkers racing back furiously. But the guy with possession stops and buttonhooks, allowing the PKs defense to get set and into position. Drive to the net like you wouuld 5 on 5! Just because you practiced the powerplay a certain way doesn't mean you have to always set up that position!

Last edited:
Reactions: Stive Morgan

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
When the idiot GM of my favorite team trades away one great goaltender for peanuts and then f***s up negotiations with the other great goaltender to the point where he likely loses both of them and starts the season with a corpse that leads the league in goals on first shot attempts; and leads by a large margin.

• Haha
Reactions: Look Up and gsharpe

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Many fans know almost nothing about the history of the game. Hasek, McDavid, & OV are top ten all-time? :laugh:

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
My list...
- Everybody on the ground in the crease whenever the puck gets there. Just looks like an uncontrolled mess, and if anybody scores, it's pure luck instead of skill.

- Everybody blocks shots. When players had foam pads, players would avoid getting in the way of shots except for a select few.

- Offsides line...especially on goals being called back. Make the blue line wider by a few more inches.

- What I used to hate with a passion. The 2 line offsides. Those who didn't grow up with it don't realize how much MORE damage a player like Lemieux would have done if he didn't have to deal with that. Glad they got rid of it!

- Players don't have a personality. It's boring! Everybody is afraid to say anything interesting, that may potentially p**s someone else off, and get retaliated against on the ice.

- Goalies with 6x4 pads (essentially). Cut the equipment size down!

- Changing the rules for the playoffs. Fine I expect some leniency in the playoffs, but the game shouldn't be so different. It's like you have develop as 2 different hockey players.

- Meaningless games for those knocked out of the playoffs. They need to create some sort of incentive. Maybe bottom 10 teams fight for additional cap space for following year, based on points.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
When the idiot GM of my favorite team trades away one great goaltender for peanuts and then f***s up negotiations with the other great goaltender to the point where he likely loses both of them and starts the season with a corpse that leads the league in goals on first shot attempts; and leads by a large margin.
At least your team regularly has good-elite goaltending, not everyone can say that.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
- Collapse and shot block hockey. It's boring. unfortunately it's really effective.
- The rules in front of the net are MUCH different then the rules in other places on the ice.
- Playoffs tend to get less entertaining as they move on. The players just kill each other and wear each other down.
- Player Freedom came at the expense of the fans. Somehow they managed to convince us that playing in the NHL was a right and not a privilege. Calgary, Winnipeg get bent over. College hockey players play for who drafted them.. or go find another league.

Reactions: the valiant effort

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
- What I used to hate with a passion. The 2 line offsides. Those who didn't grow up with it don't realize how much MORE damage a player like Lemieux would have done if he didn't have to deal with that. Glad they got rid of it!
The two line pass rule was f-ing AWFUL, and I'm SO glad they got rid of that rule. It was archaic and had no place in the modern game.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
- Player Freedom came at the expense of the fans. Somehow they managed to convince us that playing in the NHL was a right and not a privilege. Calgary, Winnipeg get bent over. College hockey players play for who drafted them.. or go find another league.
I don’t think anyone thinks it’s their “right” to play in the NHL. Just because someone is aware of their own value as a prospect doesn’t make them entitled. Prospects have been using whatever leverage they have to circumvent the draft and to maneuver into better situations for decades. See Gretzky, Jagr, Lindros, et al.

Kids who work hard enough in the classroom and on the ice to end up as highly regarded student athletes in the Big Ten, Ivy League, etc, deserve every bit of leverage they’ve earned.

Places with suspect team culture or prospect management like Winnipeg and Philly have done a good job casting blame elsewhere when their draft picks spurn them. Tkachuk wanted to sign long term with Calgary but they chose to lowball him, and when he eventually decided to move on the narrative became “Canadian teams shouldn’t draft Americans because they’ll leave the first chance they get.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad