Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Here's a question, I'm pretty sure you can't mutually agree to terminate a contract (player and team) and then resign the player to a new contract ... or can you?

If Nurse terminated his contract we could offer him a new 8 year deal at even more money than what he figures to make from here on out.

12/10/8/7.2/7.2/7.2 is what is left on his deal

If you were allowed to terminate the contract (agreed upon by both parties) you were able to resign him to like a 8 year deal like

10/10/10/7.2/7.2/7.2/5/5 = 7.7 mill cap hit, but Nurse would effectively be getting 10 million more dollars because of the two extra 5 mill per years tacked on while still making the exact same amount for the next 6 years.

I think the player has to go through unconditional waivers if their contract is terminated, although I guess what happens if the player says he will only sign with one team?

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Here's a question, I'm pretty sure you can't mutually agree to terminate a contract (player and team) and then resign the player to a new contract ... or can you?

If Nurse terminated his contract we could offer him a new 8 year deal at even more money than what he figures to make from here on out.

12/10/8/7.2/7.2/7.2 is what is left on his deal

If you were allowed to terminate the contract (agreed upon by both parties) you were able to resign him to like a 8 year deal like

10/10/10/7.2/7.2/7.2/5/5 = 7.7 mill cap hit, but Nurse would effectively be getting 10 million more dollars because of the two extra 5 mill per years tacked on while still making the exact same amount for the next 6 years.

I think the player has to go through unconditional waivers if their contract is terminated, although I guess what happens if the player says he will only sign with one team?
No you cannot do this.

Reactions: Mr Positive

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Besides some extensions, we’re likely seeing the roster going into next season as is. I’m betting Kane starts on ltir and they don’t trade Ceci until they see how Broberg, Stetcher, Brown look and also let the trade market develop.

We’re probably starting the year with a combination of Broberg, Kulak, Ceci, Brown in the 4-5-6-7 spots with Stetcher starting in Bako to get up to speed. He’ll probably be called up and in the mix before Christmas if they feel comfortable trading Ceci or if they send Brown down for Stetcher but giving Brown a 3 year deal probably means they see him being on the roster.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Besides some extensions, we’re likely seeing the roster going into next season as is. I’m betting Kane starts on ltir and they don’t trade Ceci until they see how Broberg, Stetcher, Brown look and also let the trade market develop.

We’re probably starting the year with a combination of Broberg, Kulak, Ceci, Brown in the 4-5-6-7 spots with Stetcher starting in Bako to get up to speed. He’ll probably be called up and in the mix before Christmas if they feel comfortable trading Ceci or if they send Brown down for Stetcher but giving Brown a 3 year deal probably means they see him being on the roster.
Wouldn't that mean the RFA's will have to skip training camp? When would the earliest Kane could go to LTIR?

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
I haven’t played any kind of sports video game in a lot of years. Now that they’re all web-based, do the games automatically upload and update all roster changes?
My kid has some PlayStation pass, I downloaded NHL a few days ago for fun. They have a place to download rosters that people upload. People put a lot of work to keep it updated apparently.

No need for NHL 25 I guess haha

• Haha
Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Wouldn't that mean the RFA's will have to skip training camp? When would the earliest Kane could go to LTIR?
You can be 10% over the cap until the season starts.

There are two ways to go with LTIR, in-season and off-season. Differences in the two are subtle. To go in-season, which is slightly more preferable, they would have to be under the cap on day one with Kane on the roster. Depending on what Broberg and Holloway get this should be possible by waiving J. Brown, Stecher and Ryan.

Reactions: jeblers

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
All I have to say is playing NHL 24 with all the recent signings is pretty fun. Not a bad offensive line.
I signed Nylander in free agency then traded him for skinner and Savoi. Savoi on 3rd line with Henrique and Kane In the game is fun.

Reactions: McDoused

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
You literally did the same thing you berated me for. If you can't see the obvious idiocy in that, well i'm not surprised. You're saying JJ made those deals before free agency? Think about that for a second, and then think about if that's allowed, and then think about how that would go if JJ said he was actually doing that in an interview. Maybe, just think before posting?
No I said Holland had those conversations before free agency.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He was fine on the Oilers and at 775k that's a steal.
Who do we ship out? Brown? Holloway?Henrique? Arvidsson?Skinner? Janmark?

Kane,McD and Drai, Hyman, Nuge have NMC

A PTO perhaps to let him fight Perry for #13/#14 spot even after assuming Jarventie, Lavoie and Savoie start in AHL

Reactions: Oilhawks

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

I think Stecher is going to surprise making the team out of camp. RD with a $787,500 cap hit for two seasons.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Any interest in John Klingberg at league minimum? Seems like a no brainer to me as a guy who wants to reestablish himself in the NHL?

He said he wants to wait until he’s healed, but I’d be totally fine trying to get him signed for league minimum and immediately waive him to get him in the minors.

This version of the team is just too deep. There is no place for him.

Disagree. Yamo would be fine in a depth role. He’s a glue guy in the locker room too

Reactions: frag2 and McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Who do we ship out? Brown? Holloway?Henrique? Arvidsson?Skinner? Janmark?

Kane,McD and Drai, Hyman, Nuge have NMC

A PTO perhaps to let him fight Perry for #13/#14 spot even after assuming Jarventie, Lavoie and Savoie start in AHL

That's 12 players including Perry and Kane. Assuming we run 13 forwards we still have room for 1 forward (2 if Kane is on LTIR).

Lavoie and Pederson might fill those slots but adding 1 more forward doesn't mean we have to move anyone out.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Ship has sailed on Yamamoto. He was a good transition player on a developing fringe and then entry level playoff team.

Grinding out a four round playoff reinforces the importance of hard support depth that are durable and can withstand the marathon grind game of the second season. If anything, the Oil could use a heavy ice player who can win puck battles, engages physically and offer some functional toughness shotgun support.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Keep him far far away from the Oilers
Why? Seems like a great reclamation project to me, if he takes a small cap deal

I don't like him much but I also know that 2nd pair RD seems like it will be our main point of weakness this year. I'd rather not hinge everything on Ceci and Stetcher

Reactions: McDoused

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
He said he wants to wait until he’s healed, but I’d be totally fine trying to get him signed for league minimum and immediately waive him to get him in the minors.

Disagree. Yamo would be fine in a depth role. He’s a glue guy in the locker room too

Disagree. I want my depth players to either be big and/or physical (Kane/Holloway/Perry), good defensively and kill penalties (Henrique/Janmark/Brown/Ryan), or have a good enough shot/scoring ability to contribute the odd goal(Perry/Kane/hopefully Brown)

He doesn't have any quality that I would consider valuable for a depth role.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Stetcher didn’t play much hockey in the second half of last year and then had surgery. I’m guessing they give him some time in Bako to get up to speed while they evaluate the Ceci/Broberg/Brown situation.
Two to four months recovery time and he missed the playoffs completely, he should be ready for camp.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Whose ice time would you take to give to Yamo?

Nobody. I’d have him as the Gagner replacement. He can be the 13th forward and locker room presence, who comes in when there’s an injury, or someone’s struggling.

Disagree. I want my depth players to either be big and/or physical (Kane/Holloway/Perry), good defensively and kill penalties (Henrique/Janmark/Brown/Ryan), or have a good enough shot/scoring ability to contribute the odd goal(Perry/Kane/hopefully Brown)

He doesn't have any quality that I would consider valuable for a depth role.

He played a minute and a half a night on the PK his last year here, and has a 20 goal season. That’s pretty much what you’re describing. It’s better than counting on a guy like Lavoie who doesn’t PK, and has never scored a point at the NHL level

Reactions: guymez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad