Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Parayko would be great, but he doesn't work if Nurse is still here too, too long for guys who aren't the feature players with all the feature players needing extensions.
I am not sure that is the case. Kulak and Ceci out is 6 million We are adding 500K and a bottom pairing for around a million. If Broberg was covering for Nurse in the playoffs he should be able to cover for Brown on the bottom pairing will brown can make sure no one runs Broberg. We up grade our D and cap will continue to rise. The league won't be carrying the corpse of Arizona and Utah should raise the league income plus the normal growth

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Parayko
Broberg Brown/XXX

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Two year deals could be risky. That's going to take them right to an arbitration they probably can't afford.
You are correct that arbitration could be an issue. But it also takes you past the 2025-26 season which could very well be the tightest year cap-wise. If McDavid keeps his demands under control, with the expiry of the Kane deal the Oilers should be in good shape that year. One wild card would be Ekholm. It is possible that by going with term they could resign him for less than his current deal.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I’d like to see a RD upgrade before the season. I like the idea of having as few holes as possible going into the season.

But I think RD upgrade is very hard to obtain especially with our cap constraints. As others have mentioned, I see potential upgrades as Parayko, Andersson, Larsson, Pionk?. There might be a couple others. But I think these trades are hard to pull off due to cap, costs, rival status, personal issues etc.

At this point it’s probably just better to run Broberg as RD2 and see how he does. Can address at the deadline and make changes accordingly.

On other hand it would be dumb to waste a bunch of assets if Broberg turns out to just be as good as the players above.

Last edited:
Reactions: oobga and McDoused

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I’d like to see a RD upgrade before the season. I like the idea of having as few holes as possible going into the season.

But I think RD upgrade is very hard to obtain especially with our cap constraints. As others have mentioned, I see potential upgrades as Parayko, Andersson, Larsson, Pionk?. There might be a couple others. But I think these trades are hard to pull off due to costs, rival status, personal issues etc.

At this point it’s probably just better to run Broberg as RD2 and see how he does. Can address at the deadline and make changes accordingly.

On other hand it would be dumb to waste a bunch of assets if Broberg turns out to just be as good as the players above.
The only realistic chance for a RHD upgrade on Ceci involves Kane either on LTIR long term or traded. Otherwise there is simply no way to make the cap work. So I think it will play out that they try Broberg as the #2RHD to see if that works. If not then something might be doable at the deadline depending on the cap situation at the time.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
The only realistic chance for a RHD upgrade on Ceci involves Kane either on LTIR long term or traded. Otherwise there is simply no way to make the cap work. So I think it will play out that they try Broberg as the #2RHD to see if that works. If not then something might be doable at the deadline depending on the cap situation at the time.

I'd like to hold on to Kane. When healthy he's a unicorn and something this team is lacking. If he isn't healthy we can use his cap space on LTIR. We also don't know who else might be injured at the deadline. If Nurse or Arvidsson are injured we could use that space to get an upgrade at the deadline.

I think trading Ceci is the first shoe to drop just to make us cap compliant and provide us with more flexibility. He's easier to move now than at the start of the season.

I'm actually more worried having the assets at the deadline to meet the necessary cost. We don't have a 1st round pick anymore.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'd like to hold on to Kane. When healthy he's a unicorn and something this team is lacking. If he isn't healthy we can use his cap space on LTIR. We also don't know who else might be injured at the deadline. If Nurse or Arvidsson are injured we could use that space to get an upgrade at the deadline.

I think trading Ceci is the first shoe to drop just to make us cap compliant and provide us with more flexibility. He's easier to move now than at the start of the season.

I'm actually more worried having the assets at the deadline to meet the necessary cost. We don't have a 1st round pick anymore.

Hopefully trading the first on O’Reilley doesn’t hurt us a at the deadline. On other hand, if he really takes off maybe he has more value than a late first. Savoie could also be trade chip depending on how hes looking.

Nice thing about next years deadline is that we shouldn’t have that many holes to fill so we shouldn’t need as many assets.

Previous years it was like top 6 winger, 3C, Defense, depth upgrades etc

Reactions: McDoused

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

They do have the 2025 first if they want to use it. But if they do they won't have either the 2025 1st or the 2026 first.

Savoie helps a lot in this regard.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I think they like Kulak a lot more than Ceci.

I wouldn't really say the right side is all that weak either. If Broberg earned a spot on the roster with his play in the playoffs, it only makes sense that it's probably where he played in the playoffs. Stecher and Brown are nice depth too.
If Bouch gets hurt and no Ceci we have nobody. Brown may go to the minors and Stecher is a #5 at best. Broberg on his weak side would be our #1.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Not every team you think is going to make playoffs will, and I'd even take a guy playing his off side as a LH shot over Ceci on this team come playoffs.

I'll run through every possible option for you.
Anaheim - Cam Fowler 1 year left, Dumoulin pending UFA. Not sure if Dumoulin is an upgrade, I know he used to be but haven't followed him since his time with the Pens.
Calgary - Andersson 1 year left - RH shot, definitely a massive upgrade on Ceci.
LA - Gavrikov - LH shot, LA could very easily miss this year
Seattle - Larsson RH shot, could very easily miss this year
Vegas - Theodore LH shot, but plays the right side as well. Could easily miss if they get into injury troubles or if their goaltending gamble falls apart.
Columbus - Provorov, LH shot but an upgrade on Ceci
St. Louis - Nick Leddy 1 year remaining, LH shot but and upgrade on Ceci
Winnipeg - Pionk, RH shot. Someone might drop out of the Central with Nashville's retool and possibility of Minnesota bouncing back.
Pittsburgh - Pettersson - LH shot but upgrade on Ceci
Washington - Chychrun LH shot who can play R side. Not sure I'm sold on him but might bounce back this year.
Buffalo - Jokiharju RH shot. Possible upgrade depending how he continues to develop.
Detroit - Jeff Petry - not sure if he's still an upgrade haven't watched him recently.
Montreal - Savard (not my favourite pick but probably still an upgrade), Matheson LH shot 1 year remaining.

There's options out there for sure.
We need Right shot defensemen. We can't go back to Chris Russels playing on their weak side trying ringing the boards to get it out.

Reactions: OilerTyler

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
If Bouch gets hurt and no Ceci we have nobody. Brown may go to the minors and Stecher is a #5 at best. Broberg on his weak side would be our #1.

First off, you can't make decisions based on ifs. Let's look at an immediate problem now (we are over the cap) instead of something that might not even happen. Don't go borrowing worries.

Second, do you really want ceci on the top pair? At that point you can make a trade or move guys around. Ceci on the top pair isn't the answer.

I dont get the ceci love all of a sudden. He doesn't fit here. He makes too much money. He needs to go.

We need Right shot defensemen. We can't go back to Chris Russels playing on their weak side trying ringing the boards to get it out.

At this point Kris Russell would be an upgrade on Ceci because he would be making a 1/4 of what Ceci does.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I would definitely trade for jiricek if they are willing to move him.

Not sure I would move Savoie but Ceci akey and a high pick

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Would you do the suggested trade from Gregors show?

Jiricek
For
Ceci, Savoie, Akey

Would the Blue Jackets?
The Jackets wouldn't. I don't think Savoie holds a lot of value to them. They're lacking established scoring.

I'm not a big fan of moving prospects before we know what we've got with them though. Savoie's value alone is fairly low as it stands. And Akey could explode this year if he stays healthy.

Jiricek would be an exciting add. But that's a raw defenseman essentially being thrown into a shutdown role. That could backfire.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I wouldn’t be against giving Kylington a shot. He has some holes in his game for sure but he’s an elite skater which is what we need and he’s a decent gamble to outperform his contract (which we need as a cap team).

This is still an expensive third pairing but we have good cover if Broberg doesn’t develop as expected.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Broberg
Kylington-Kulak
What was kylington’s issue in Calgary? Seems in the last 2 years every time I looked at their lineup he was out for personal reasons.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The reverse is, with Kulak traded, they wouldn’t even have a third pair leftie with a leftie injury.

I think they loaded up on rightie depth for a reason.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not an advanced metrics nerd, but I do remember saying we should take a look at throwing Arizona a bone for Valimaki after Arizona claimed him (obviously the inbred Flames wouldn't deal him to us).

1720757782513-png.894353

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nurse vs Klefbom isn't much of a debate. Nurse at his best was better than Klefbom but Klefbom was younger and had a better brain. AS it stands we will never know what Klefbom could've become if his shoulder was good. The better comparison would be who was the best bang for your buck and it is hands down a healthy Klefbom.
That’s just the comparison that favors Klefbom. It’s not Nurse’s fault the team bridged him to UFA status and then had to overpay.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
The reverse is, with Kulak traded, they wouldn’t even have a third pair leftie with a leftie injury.

I think they loaded up on rightie depth for a reason.
Lefties are much easier to find. We have a bunch in the minors that could be useful. Bako is slim on RD I think too.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

But I think RD upgrade is very hard to obtain especially with our cap constraints. As others have mentioned, I see potential upgrades as Parayko, Andersson, Larsson, Pionk?. There might be a couple others. But I think these trades are hard to pull off due to cap, costs, rival status, personal issues etc.

Definitely would be ideal to give Knob a solid top 4 D ASAP. He wasted a lot of energy last season on trying to figure out how to minimize the damage of his bottom 4 D group. Burned us a lot through the playoffs too. Getting most of the year to figure out the best game plan with actually reliable top 4 D would be great to set up for playoffs.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Would you do the suggested trade from Gregors show?

Jiricek
For
Ceci, Savoie, Akey

Would the Blue Jackets?

It's pretty crazy how the 2022 draft was only 2 years ago and Gauthier, Savoie, Geekie and probably McGroarty are all traded. If you add Jiricek to the list that would be 5 guys in the top 15 already traded.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What was kylington’s issue in Calgary? Seems in the last 2 years every time I looked at their lineup he was out for personal reasons.
Same thing that afflicted Johnny and Chucky, fear of the Oil, except he didn’t have a way out through free agency so he took a mental health break. Or maybe it’s just a personal issue, but I like my theory better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad