Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't know how you can watch 2 straight playoffs series against LA and want Nurse over Doughty. One dman shows up in the playoffs, the other folds or cost the series. We criticize Drai and McDavid as well. Fans do that all the time.
I'm not saying you can't criticize them, I have no issue with criticizing Nurse for his playoff performances, or the terrible reads he makes, whatever. On the whole though, he's a lot better than many people here give him credit for.

Nurse has also been fine to great in all three of the LA series.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Drew Doughty is -9 over the last 2 playoff series he has played. The Oilers have beaten him like a rented mule.

It sure is weird how the guys who discount statistics because 'you have to watch the games' don't actually watch the games and instead just bank on reputations that are half a decade out of date.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Drew Doughty is -9 over the last 2 playoff series he has played. The Oilers have beaten him like a rented mule.

It sure is weird how the guys who discount statistics because 'you have to watch the games' don't actually watch the games and instead just bank on reputations that are half a decade out of date.

In fairness though he is going into the eye of the storm against McDavid and Draisaitl, no other team has two offensive options that can do a number on a D's stats like they can. Other problem for LA is the longer McDavid/Draisaitl play an opponent the better they get I feel. The more time they get to "figure out" an opponent, the more likely it is they will do exactly that and exploit weaknesses they find.

Can you imagine Nurse having to play McDavid/Draisaitl in a playoff round? He would get absolutely dummied.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
In fairness though he is going into the eye of the storm against McDavid and Draisaitl, no other team has two offensive options that can do a number on a D's stats like they can. Other problem for LA is the longer McDavid/Draisaitl play an opponent the better they get I feel. The more time they get to "figure out" an opponent, the more likely it is they will do exactly that and exploit weaknesses they find.

Can you imagine Nurse having to play McDavid/Draisaitl in a playoff round? He would get absolutely dummied.

Not only that, but it has always been the opening round where those two are the healthiest

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Here's a fact that you have repetitively ignored in this thread - Nurse was 5th in the league in controlled zone exits in 19-20. His game has devolved since then, but you have a hard time recognizing it for some reason.

I don't know if reading comprehension is a problem for you or not, but I'll state again - Nurse sucks at passing, especially stretch passing. Nurse is good at skating. When he leads the breakout with his feet, he is much, much more likely to make it to the red line and dump, create an odd man rush, or shorten passing lanes to forwards to actually hit a breakout pass in motion. He has done these things before successfully (19-20 referenced ad nauseam). For whatever reason he no longer leverages this strength anymore, and his game has gone down the gutter as a result.

He's better than this, has played better than this before, and is more than capable of playing better than this again if he gets out of his own way. If he isn't moving his feet he is absolutely useless as a defensemen. I think he has more room to free his feet up if he's with a steady defender that can clean up mistakes if he rushes up ice. I'm sorry that your opinion doesn't align with that.
I’m done arguing. Keep expecting him to lead breakouts. 19/20 had many other variables that are being ignored. But sure- keep expecting it-

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I’m done arguing. Keep expecting him to lead breakouts. 19/20 had many other variables that are being ignored. But sure- keep expecting it-

Of course you are, you're basically shouting at clouds at this point.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
So, trading Ceci at this point is inevitable. I do think we see something sooner than later to help mitigate the potential of an offer sheet.

The only path forward for Ceci to stay on the team is if Kane goes on LTIR. Even then, he isn't going to be around by the time the deadline rolls around.

Trading Ceci now when teams haven't completed their rosters makes sense. Trading him at the start of the season might not be possible. I don't understand what the delay is.

1. Trade Ceci for whatever you can get.
2. Sign Holloway/Broberg for 1M each.
3. Send Ryan down and bring up Lavoie
4. Run a 22 man roster with around 1M in cap which will accrue throughout the season.
5. Now you are flexible if a defenseman becomes available.

1720817148977.png

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I would almost rather trade Kulak for an upgrade on right D and move Ceci down. Roll with
Ek - Bouch
Nurse - XXX
Broberg - Ceci

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I would almost rather trade Kulak for an upgrade on right D and move Ceci down. Roll with
Ek - Bouch
Nurse - XXX
Broberg - Ceci
The problem is that we'd in theory have 3 3rd pairing RHD in Ceci, Stetcher and Brown. I too would like to see Broberg on the left side, but for that to happen and for us to get a big upgrade on Ceci we might need to move Ceci and Kulak.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So, trading Ceci at this point is inevitable. I do think we see something sooner than later to help mitigate the potential of an offer sheet.

The only path forward for Ceci to stay on the team is if Kane goes on LTIR. Even then, he isn't going to be around by the time the deadline rolls around.

Trading Ceci now when teams haven't completed their rosters makes sense. Trading him at the start of the season might not be possible. I don't understand what the delay is.

4. Run a 22 man roster with around 1M in cap which will accrue throughout the season.

View attachment 894548

I don't think they have any intention of trading him.

I think they are going to submit a 20-man roster on day 1 and then put someone on LTIR.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Are there any non playoff teams that might have a 2nd pairing RHD that they'd be looking to move for a solid 3rd pairing making $6 million AAV? :sarcasm:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They're going to trade him, because even if they just trade him for cap space, they are better than if he stays on the team.

The truth is his numbers without Nurse were fairly decent, he showed up big for the Oilers in both game 7s in the playoffs, and was a key cog of the top end PK.

I don't think JJ wants to move him as much as fans assume he does. Nurse and Ceci together are a train wreck, but there's no law saying you have to play them together.

It looks to me like they are betting on someone being on LTIR to start the year.

Otherwise they could have moved Ceci easily already. There would be a lot of takers for a guy who good advanced metrics away from Nurse and has the type of big game playoff experience he has. 3 million is peanuts for a right shot D in this market.

I believe the Oilers can submit a 20 man roster on day 1 of the season and be cap compliant as is.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

View attachment 894548

I’d like to see the team keep Lavoie on the roster and give him a chance. Swap him in with Perry when necessary. I really don’t want to see both Perry and Ryan on the roster.

Will be interesting to see if KK tries the four centers you have. I really hope just roll lines 5 on 5. We have enough talent and wingers to make it work.

Reactions: McDoused

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Why would we trade a RHD when its our position of weakness?

If anyone goes its Kulak, imo
I think they like Kulak a lot more than Ceci.

I wouldn't really say the right side is all that weak either. If Broberg earned a spot on the roster with his play in the playoffs, it only makes sense that it's probably where he played in the playoffs. Stecher and Brown are nice depth too.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
They're going to trade him, because even if they just trade him for cap space, they are better than if he stays on the team.

Thats absurd. The guy is criminally underrated here. Who else had points in game 7 of the SCF? which other D scored in game 7 of the division finals? He was a mainstay on the best PK in the NHL, he can play all over the ice surface in any situation, but the defining characteristic is that for an RHD he gets paid peanuts. Where are you going to find a RHD you can (and do) play against opposition elites for under 4M? Other than top draft picks still on ELCs.... where can Edmonton get better value than Cody Ceci?

If we trade him for cap space we're going to have to watch Mikael Backlund and Elias Petterson make an absolute pilon out of Josh Brown all year long.

You cut yoyr 2 best defensive RD (Desharnais/Ceci) in one offseason and dont replace them and you're kneecapping this team.

Im all for upgrading the position but if you trade Jordan Eberle for peanuts and roll into the season without a right shot in the top part of the lineup, you're Peter Chiarelli. (aka diarrhea)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Then we'll have to fill the hole that Ceci makes, but for cheaper?

I don't see it happening.
Well if Ceci is gone then 1 of Brown or Stetcher step in as the 3RD and they are considerably cheaper than Ceci. We'll likely have to pay more for an improvement on ceci which is why I've also mentioned that maybe Kulak has to go as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad