Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Klefbom missed his assignment around the net more than any Oiler I can remember. The Klefbom people pretend we had never existed. He was like an OEL without any actual offensive ability. He bled goals against and was about as effective offensively as Kris Russell was. He just got all the top unit PP time with two generational players.
Our team bled goals against

If Klef was playing in this zone system, with this team, he would have great stats, because he could play simple hockey. No matter the team or system, nurse is going to nurse.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Our team bled goals against

If Klef was playing in this zone system, with this team, he would have great stats, because he could play simple hockey. No matter the team or system, nurse is going to nurse.
Did all of you forget that Nurse played on that exact same team?

Klefbom's final three seasons as an Oiler he was -40 and was our #3 5v5 d-man in TOI/game. Over that same span Darnell Nurse was +8 and was our #1 5v5 d-man in TOI/game. Nurse had better GF/60 and GA/60 numbers and he dominated Klefbom in 5v5 offensive production. Both overall and per/60 (since for some reason people always like to point out that Klefbom was hurt all the time as if that made him more valuable rather than less valube).

It's literally not even close. Y'all are letting Nurse's recent shitty playoffs cloud the fact that he was a better d-man than Klefbom for basically all of their respective time here outside of his first couple of seasons when he was 20/21 years old.

The Klefbom-Larsson pairing was a bad top pair in this league. It's incredible how much Oiler fans overrate both of these two players. The one year the team was actually good with those two here it was Sekera-Russell that was the teams best pairing.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ekholm and Hyman were amazing adds. Such classy guys. Teams win with character like this.
I still remember reading a post on the Preds forum the day he was traded away how he was going to make Bouchard into a great d-man. Not only a great player, but a great mentor and a great example on how to act on and off the ice, both in the dressing room but also publicly.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018

Klefbom's final three seasons as an Oiler he was -40 and was our #3 5v5 d-man in TOI/game. Over that same span Darnell Nurse was +8 and was our #1 5v5 d-man in TOI/game. Nurse had better GF/60 and GA/60 numbers and he dominated Klefbom in 5v5 offensive production. Both overall and per/60 (since for some reason people always like to point out that Klefbom was hurt all the time as if that made him more valuable rather than less valube).

It's literally not even close. Y'all are letting Nurse's recent shitty playoffs cloud the fact that he was a better d-man than Klefbom for basically all of their respective time here outside of his first couple of seasons when he was 20/21 years old.

The Klefbom-Larsson pairing was a bad top pair in this league. It's incredible how much Oiler fans overrate both of these two players. The one year the team was actually good with those two here it was Sekera-Russell that was the teams best pairing.
Absolutely, I don’t care for his contract but he’s a f*** of a lot better than Oscar Klefbom.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Playoff Kulak is the new Klefbom was a number 1 defenceman. :D

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
A lot of people here seem to agree with me that he is more than capable moving the puck with his feet. He doesn't do it enough and defers to stretch passes, which he sucks at, but that doesn't mean he's not capable of it or not any good at it.

When he is moving his feet he's usually at least decent, when he's trying to do "less is more" he stands around and f***s up basic plays. The difference in his game when he has his feet moving is night and day.
That’s great people agree with you, but it does t align with the facts. Why hasn’t he done it all these years? Is it something he is just going to pick up as he nears 30? Here’s an interesting fact- you know who the worst on our team (defence) is the worst at puck retrievals? Nurse. You know who is the worst in controlled exits once puck is retrieved- Nurse. Final metric- you know who leads the team in uncontrolled exits (throwing the puck out to no one) Nurse. So, Nurse can’t get the puck to skate it out. When he does he usually ices it. When he doesn’t ice it- he can’t exit controlled. A stay at home d man isn’t going to fix that.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
"Nurse has never been able to move the puck in his life time"

*reads article that shows he had elite puck-moving numbers a few years ago*

"Exactly as I said"

:laugh:
Did you read the article and understand what it said? Did you understand what I said or did that go over your head too?

A) I said Nurse needs a strong puck retriever and someone to outlet the puck. Article said the same

B) I said Nurse has never been able to move the puck his entire career. Article said the same thing. Bear was moving the puck.

C) Do you think that 1 year is who Nurse is or the other 10? lol.

You’re right. Nurse is Paul Coffey lite and all these years he has been fooling us. He’s going to get 80 points next year!!!

Now do the rest of his career- try not using someone else’s work.
😂

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Did you read the article and understand what it said? Did you understand what I said or did that go over your head too?

A) I said Nurse needs a strong puck retriever and someone to outlet the puck. Article said the same

B) I said Nurse has never been able to move the puck his entire career. Article said the same thing. Bear was moving the puck.

C) Do you think that 1 year is who Nurse is or the other 10? lol.

😂
You might want to read it again if that's what you got from it haha.

It doesn't say anywhere that he needed a puck retriever or someone to outlet the puck. It just showed that Bear had more passes in the zone while Nurse had vastly more carry outs and pass outs.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
You might want to read it again if that's what you got from it haha.

It doesn't say anywhere that he needed a puck retriever or someone to outlet the puck. It just showed that Bear had more passes in the zone while Nurse had vastly more carry outs and pass outs.
Ha got it- you have no idea how to get that data. See, the problem with Jason is he doesn’t look at the whole picture. You need to retrieve the puck to move it. Bear did both. Nurse was his out let. There are much better people to quote on analytics than Jason. What happened when Bear was no longer his partner?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Ha got it- you have no idea how to get that data. See, the problem with Jason is he doesn’t look at the whole picture. You need to retrieve the puck to move it. Bear did both. Nurse was his out let. There are much better people to quote on analytics than Jason. What happened when Bear was no longer his partner?
I think you missed the part where it says those outlet passes are only passes up ice and don't include passes to their D partner or passes off the boards behind the net.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Just to have something to talk about. How many goals do the Oilers score next year with the new additions?

Last year we finished 4th in league scoring with 292 goals. This year I think we absolutely blow past 300.

In my opinion here are some pretty realistic predictions for next year:

Draisaitl - 50 (41 last year / +9)
McDavid - 40 (32 last year / +8)
Hyman - 40 (54 last year / -14)
Skinner - 30 (24 last year / +6)
Nuge - 25 (18 last year / +7)
Arvidsson - 25 (6 last year / +19)
Kane - 25 (24 last year / +1)
Henrique - 15 (24 last year / -9)
Bouchard - 15 (18 last year / -3)
Brown - 12 (4 last year / +8)
Holloway - 10 (6 last year / +4)
Ekholm - 10 (11 last year / -1)
Nurse- 10 (10 last year / 0)
Janmark - 8 (4 last year / +4)
Perry - 5 (12 last year / -7)
Broberg - 5 (0 last year / +5)
Kulak - 3 (3 last year / 0)

(+5 depth guys for 8 more goals)

= 336 goals

Obviously some injuries are going to happen but if healthy we have to have the best offense in the league.

1. Connor Brown in his career has averages 15 goals over a full season (94 goals in 519 games).

2. Viktor Arvidsson averages 27 goals over a full season (179 goals in 546 games).

3. RNH averages 23 goals over a full season (251 goals in 881 games).

4. Jeff Skinner averages 29 goals over a full season (357 goals in 1006 games).

5. Evander Kane averages 29 goals over a full season (326 goals in 930 games).

6. McDavid averages 43 goals over a full season (335 goals in 645 games).

7. Draisaitl averages 40 goals over a full season (347 goals in 719 games)

I think the only real stretch I'm making her is Draisaitl getting 50 again. He's done it a few times and I think he gets back with better linemates.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Just to have something to talk about. How many goals do the Oilers score next year with the new additions?

Last year we finished 4th in league scoring with 292 goals. This year I think we absolutely blow past 300.

= 336 goals

Obviously some injuries are going to happen but if healthy we have to have the best offense in the league.

1. Connor Brown in his career has averages 15 goals over a full season (94 goals in 519 games).

2. Viktor Arvidsson averages 27 goals over a full season (179 goals in 546 games).

I think the only real stretch I'm making her is Draisaitl getting 50 again. He's done it a few times and I think he gets back with better linemates.
I want 400 goals next season.

• Haha
Reactions: McDoused

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

= 336 goals

I say the team scores a minimum of 328 4 goals a game they scored 325 with a much weaker roster in 22-23 and would not be surprised if they score more than the 2021-22 Florida panthers who put up 340 the most since the early 90's

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I want 400 goals next season.

I mean realistically we saw Foegele (20 goals) and McLeod (12 goals) leave. They averaged about 12:30 even strength and played majority of the season.

By contrast Arvidsson and Skinner play about 13:30 (1 more minutes even strength) and could easily bring in 60 goals between the two. That right there is an extra 30ish goals in the lineup playing with Draisaitl.

Another upgrage is Henrique for the full year. I understand his role will be different here but he averages double (24 goals a season pro-rated). I put him around 15. Even if you replace Ryan with Henrique that's an extra 10 goals.

So thats 40 goals extra without adding in additional production from Evander Kane, Connor McDavid and Connor Brown should be healthier this year. They won't be taking icetime from anyone, rather they will be more effective with it.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I think you missed the part where it says those outlet passes are only passes up ice and don't include passes to their D partner or passes off the boards behind the net.
You’re right. He’s a great mover of the puck. Has been his whole career. Will be next year too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad