Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Reactions: CycloneSweep

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Anyone else having an issue with a weird pop up ad in the midddle of your screen?

It stays there as you scroll down. I have a normal adblock that allows some ads. Perhaps I need to change.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
It’s not even remotely close either.

Klefbom put up sub ~0.5ppg playing 1st unit PP time on a unit with McDavid and Draisaitl. Nurse has 7 consecutive seasons now of being a better 5v5 producer than Klefboms best season. The only thing Klefbom had over Nurse was a harder point shot and maybe a slightly better first pass (although nothing particularly outstanding). Everything else is an edge to Nurse.

Klefbom was great at two things as an Oiler. 1) being injured and 2) getting scored on. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the team took a step forward when Nurse took on a bigger role once Klefbom was gone.
I'm only going to address this once cause I don't think ancient history like Klefbom belongs in the rumors and proposals thread.

First off points is not the best way to judge a d-man, if we are doing that Bouchard with his 82 points this season has more points in a single season than any of Lidstrom, Niedermayer, or Pronger are we going to act like he is better than them?

I will also fully agree that Nurse is phenomenal 5 vs 5 point producer, it's the strongest element of his game. What Klefbom had over Nurse besides what you mentioned was predominantly hockey IQ, he's a smarter player who sees the ice better and better managed risk, he also had a better stick both for pokechecking, but also pass interception, and he was better at defusing or escaping from forecheck pressure than any Oilers d-man I can recall in the past 20 years (a crippling weakness of Nurse & Ceci in the playoffs).

I don't even blame people for being overly critical of Klef cause like you say he was always injured and its hard to separate the little nuggets of time where he said his shoulder wasn't bugging him as much as usual from the vast majority of the time where it was bugging him and effecting his play in a number of meaningful ways.

As for your getting scored on comment, Klef despite being on weaker Oiler teams, with less structure, less team buy-in, and plenty of youthful mistakes, and him always being injured his career GA per 60 at 5 on 5 is 3.1 to Nurse's 3.2 and his PK on-ice goals against per 60 is 7.6 to Nurse's 9.3. I will also agree that Nurse when he stepped up was superior to Klef as he was leaving and I'll go even further say current Nurse with all his warts is better than Klefbom was for the vast majority of his career, but those little unicorn moments where Klef was healthy and feeling good I'd take him over Nurse.

and for people who think it's a biased or rose colored interpretation of history, I'll say maybe you aren't properly factoring in Nurse's flaws dude got straight up dominated 2 playoffs in a row, he has warts in his game that have always been there, it just took a little scouting and game planning to fully expose them.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Klefbom missed his assignment around the net more than any Oiler I can remember. The Klefbom people pretend we had never existed. He was like an OEL without any actual offensive ability. He bled goals against and was about as effective offensively as Kris Russell was. He just got all the top unit PP time with two generational players.

Hard to say how bad his shoulder was impacting him at the time, but Klefbom was horrendous against the Blackhawks in the play in series before he retired.

I liked Klefbom. If I had to make a choice right now between keep Nurse or import 2017-19 Klefbom I would take Klefbom. I agree though that he’s getting the benefit of historical revisionism. He was good, but not that good.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
lol maybe some.
A lot of his shots were set plays. The league figured him out cause that's what he was going for 97% of the time. I rather have that than Nurse entering the Ozone and having no clue what to do next, star-fishing or screening the goalie or the deflecting the pucks into our own net

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Some alarm bells ringing here.

"Let's copy CapFriendly down to the UI design and try to drive as much traffic as possible before people realise we can't keep it updated due to lack of sources and development resources."
Who cares, they aren't taking our money but providing the numbers..
Maybe with high traffic and ads they will be able to hire staff to keep it updated..
Better than nothing and I would support it with a couple bucks if needed

As of right now we do not own our 2025 1st or 2nd round picks
Someone is suggesting that Oilers should offersheet a RFA? Funny stuff.. we would surely lose both Broberg and Holloway if we did.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
A lot of his shots were set plays. The league figured him out cause that's what he was going for 97% of the time. I rather have that than Nurse entering the Ozone and having no clue what to do next, star-fishing or screening the goalie or the deflecting the pucks into our own net
I don’t agree. Rocketing a 100km slapshot 4 feet over the net isn’t good.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Who cares, they aren't taking our money but providing the numbers..
Maybe with high traffic and ads they will be able to hire staff to keep it updated..
Better than nothing and I would support it with a couple bucks if needed
Yeah it was more about tempering expectations. The fact that it looks exactly like CF is a bad sign rather than a good one.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Do it you will not regret it at all
computer-funny.gif

Last person that said this, this is what happened to my PC.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
View attachment 894118

Last person that said this, this is what happened to my PC.
Well don’t believe if you don’t want to lol. But I’m telling you using brave is like coming on HF 10 years ago. No adds anywhere and you never lose a post you are trying to make because of a refreshed page. I switched right before FA and will never go back :laugh:

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
So I was reading through the thread and am amazed at the revisionist history going on concerning Klefbom. He was easily tracking to be a legit Number one d man in this league before his shoulder injuries. People are balking at his 38 points but forget he was also playing with much worse players than we have today. Give Klefbom the forwards on the team now and he’s a 60-70 point guy IMHO. Losing Klef and then Larrson in subsequent years really set this team back and it took a long time to recover those losses.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So I was reading through the thread and am amazed at the revisionist history going on concerning Klefbom. He was easily tracking to be a legit Number one d man in this league before his shoulder injuries. People are balking at his 38 points but forget he was also playing with much worse players than we have today. Give Klefbom the forwards on the team now and he’s a 60-70 point guy IMHO. Losing Klef and then Larrson in subsequent years really set this team back and it took a long time to recover those losses.

Klefbom is a better player than Nurse.

On this team, with this coaching, higher scoring era, the 2017 version of Klefbom would have far better numbers IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad