Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Honestly we should consider offer sheets if there is any young studs with our teams age.

Obviously need the proper picks. I think jiricek out of Columbus would be a great target
We don’t have cap space or picks for an offersheet. The max the team could sign a player for is 2.2m where the compensation would be a 3rd round pick. We don’t have the picks otherwise

No young stud is accepting a deal for that amount. That amount also isn’t scaring a team off from matching.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Well taking a quick look at the caps around the league, both the Sharks and Columbus have cap space and probably could use a RD. Not seeing anything enticing from either of their rosters though. It's a shame we lost Kesselring, he's a RHD and would be the exact type of cost controlled, emerging D they could plug in. Damn you Holland.
I heard he didn't want to play in Canada. Could be BS.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Forwards are pretty rocking already and now have a guy like Savoie that could make things interesting. Goal seems set with the same tandem from last season and depth D seems to be set. So do we see either or both of Kulak and/or Ceci moved out to try and get an upgrade to pair with Nurse?
The D is nursing a lot of pain.

I don’t think Kulak is available unless someone makes an attractive offer. He’s signed at a decent hit for 2 more season, can play both sides can play more minutes in stints.

Ceci is a harder read. It’s hard to know if there’s a definitive upgrade available right now that we could fit in cap wise and trading him without bringing in someone else could be a risk if Broberg isn’t ready for that second pairing spot or if he struggles on the right side and needs to move back to LD. I’d say they probably hang onto Ceci until they get into the season so they can get evaluate guys like Broberg, Brown and Stetcher, while also seeing how the market for an upgrade develops. The only thing I think changes that is if they absolutely need to make cap space or if someone offers a deal for Ceci that makes it worth gambling on Broberg, Kulak, Stetcher, Brown can handle the 4/5/6 spots. Dealing him would be a proactive move similar to McLeod. Move a guy who’s not critical and who’s due a raise and get value for him while clearing some cap space.

I don’t think Kane is going anywhere except on ltir. He’s got a full nmc and I think he wants to be here for another run.
The Laughs just gave 4.5M over 6 years to the 34-year-old f***ing Tanev. So no, Ceci is not going anywhere in this market.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

the-rock-smell.gif

I can smell JJ's cooking

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

There would absolutely be markets for Ceci and Kulak, I don't think the Oilers want to move on from either unless they are getting a clear cut upgrade back.

D-Men who play through all the way to a game 7 of a Cup Final have experience a lot of GMs covet, in Ceci's case he's also sorta oddly a big time game 7 performer, 2 goals and 1 primary assist in 3 game sevens. Not too shabby.

$2.7-$3.25 million in nothing for a D-Man in this market.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
He was already under contract with us. If he didn’t want to play in Canada he never would have signed an ELC with us. He was a college player, he could have just gone to free agency instead.
That was a pretty big pay for a rental. 3rd and Kesslering.

Reactions: Thomas Tatar

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

The Flames have fallen so far that they are the new Arizona Coyotes but without the water.

My Flames fan friend told me the other night that ‘the Flames are going to be a destination for players because they have so much cap space’. Once I managed to stop laughing and pick myself up off the floor, I realized he was serious. They really are a special bunch.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Didn’t they just sign him?
They did, but they gave him a one year deal making him a UFA at it's expiry without much of a fight, given how the fanbase treats him he appears to be a very divisive figure and it seems the sentiment is shared within the organization. Kind of reminds me how we gave Petry a 1 year deal leading him into free agency and he took that personally and wouldn't extend with us, even after management admitted they $*%#ed up not offering him a proper contract with term.

There also appears to be very little hard consensus around their d-core. Obviously Dahlin and Power are the pillars of their group holding down the 1st and 2nd pair and most have Clifton holding down the 3rd pair, Byram, Jokiharju, and Samuelsson are tossed around pretty interchangeably.

The arrangement I see most is:

Dahlin (L) - Samuelsson (L)
Power (L) - Jokiharju (R)
Byram (L) - Clifton (R)

With many wanting to get Byram more minutes and he seems better liked than Jokiharju, I think the driving factor is they are trying to avoid the weirdness of 4 LHD in the top 4 and 2 RHD in the bottom 2.

----------------------

Unrelated to Jokiharju Chris Johnston apparently said the Leafs are open to trading Liljegren despite just extending him, sound like they want someone better, older, and making the same or less money; I don't think we have the pieces to get in on that deal without it being a 3-way trade, but I'm kind of interested TOR has such a bad habit of trading guys right before they break out.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They did, but they gave him a one year deal making him a UFA at it's expiry without much of a fight, given how the fanbase treats him he appears to be a very divisive figure and it seems the sentiment is shared within the organization. Kind of reminds me how we gave Petry a 1 year deal leading him into free agency and he took that personally and wouldn't extend with us, even after management admitted they $*%#ed up not offering him a proper contract with term.

There also appears to be very little hard consensus around their d-core. Obviously Dahlin and Power are the pillars of their group holding down the 1st and 2nd pair and most have Clifton holding down the 3rd pair, Byram, Jokiharju, and Samuelsson are tossed around pretty interchangeably.

The arrangement I see most is:

Dahlin (L) - Samuelsson (L)
Power (L) - Jokiharju (R)
Byram (L) - Clifton (R)

With many wanting to get Byram more minutes and he seems better liked than Jokiharju, I think the driving factor is they are trying to avoid the weirdness of 4 LHD in the top 4 and 2 RHD in the bottom 2.

----------------------

Unrelated to Jokiharju Chris Johnston apparently said the Leafs are open to trading Liljegren despite just extending him, sound like they want someone better, older, and making the same or less money; I don't think we have the pieces to get in on that deal without it being a 3-way trade, but I'm kind of interested TOR has such a bad habit of trading guys right before they break out.

Time for Cody Ceci to dust off that maple leafs jersey.

Cody Ceci @ 125,000 retained for Liljegran

Sign Holloway and Broberg to matching one year deals worth 835k

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Drai-Arvidsson
Kane-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Holloway-Perry

Ekholm-Bouch
Nurse-Liljegren
Broberg-Kulak
Stetcher

Skinner
Pickard

$888 in cap space left

It’s odd the Leafs would want someone older though. Liljegren is their only dman in their top 6 under 30.

Anyways. Should be easy, I’m sure Tre would accept that :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
JJ is gonna do something insane like trading Ceci for a first then Kane for Faulk.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I assume GMs don’t usually offer sheet RFAs much because they don’t want other teams sniffing around their RFAs. An unspoken agreement type of thing.
If it works, they're not worth the contract they sign for. Usually a boat anchor contract to a mediocre player that also costed picks.

Not matched:
Kotkaniemi for $6.1AAV for 1st + 3rd
Dustin Penner $4.5AAV for 1st + 3rd
Chris Gratton $3.5 AAV for 4x 1sts
Shane Corson for 2x 1sts (CuJo and Grier)

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Forwards are pretty rocking already and now have a guy like Savoie that could make things interesting. Goal seems set with the same tandem from last season and depth D seems to be set. So do we see either or both of Kulak and/or Ceci moved out to try and get an upgrade to pair with Nurse?
I think both Ceci and Kulak will go.

D will look like

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse XXX
Broberg Stecher
Brown . Face puncher to keep teams in line.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
The Oilers have the benefit of time here. If they need to dump Ceci or Kulak, they can deal for a D in season or at the TDL.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011

Oof demand must not have been strong.

Think this is another smart signing from Florida. They've been good with reclamation projects and if he can understand what he can and can't get away with in the NHL and make some tweaks to his approach I think there’s a really useful player here even if he never lives up to his draft position.

Ad

Ad

Ad