Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Forgetting one small detail. You can’t just kidnap the players, they actually would want to have to play for your wretched team. There are no entrance signs on the Saddledump, only exits, for obvious reasons. But flattered that they love our young players so much.

The list is pretty short of players that actually want to play in Calgary and Broberg with Holloway are not on it.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I’m probably in the minority here but I wouldn’t trade Ceci unless they have a replacement lined up.

Can't say I disagree. If the cap wasn't an issue, I'd prefer to keep as much defensive depth as possible.

Though a big issue with Ceci is he more or less needs the speedy Kulak or Broberg next to him. We have 3 seasons of evidence that he doesn't work with Nurse (and that combo's been getting steadily worse), and in the limited time he and Ekholm have played together 5v5, it also looked like a fire drill at a circus. (Thinking of the Ducks game in February).

If you can't trust him on a pair with either of your top 4 LHD, then is he a good idea to keep as injury depth?

Plus I feel like Stecher, Kemp, and Carrick are clearly here to push for that #6/7 role. (for better or worse due to the cap)

Bouchard
Broberg/Kulak/Nurse
Stecher
Kemp

Carrick
Wanner
Brown

The RD depth chart looks fairly filled out.

Now, what I expect to happen is the Oil will hold onto Ceci until their hand is forced by a fully healthy lineup.
But this is hockey, it's not like injuries are uncommon. Another 3 mil dollar player could go down and end up on LTIR before Kane is back.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Where there is smoke as they say...Don't know this guy for the record, but he's followed by some people who I do respect as far as Oilers hockey news goes.

Know nothing of this person too, but hey...dog days of summer, amiright?

giphy.gif

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Had some drinks this weekend with someone at the NHL level (outside Oilers organization). Won't name drop but a mod can ask if they want. None of this is really inside info aside from my first comment about the draft. But we talked about a lot of things Oilers, and these were purely opinions.

- "Vinni is the best goaltender we have drafted this century. This is the best goalie in the draft."
- On Jeff Skinner, no concern about physical play because he's such a craft skater.
- On Kane, he doesn't know if this is the case, but IF he isn't jiving with the rest of the roster, they should try everything they can to move on. Everyone on the same page is so important for deep runs.
- If Nurse can't get his game back on defense, it might be worth considering making some defensive trades at the deadline and trying him up front in a Kane-type role. He might actually have the tools to succeed with less pressure. Might get the most out of our cap this way.
- Getting the entire 3rd line back was absolutely crucial for another run.
- Wonders why Savoie was so easily pried but likes it as a Skinner replacement after this year.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
"Darnell, here's what's going to happen, you can "sit in the press box" AKA at home for the rest of your contract, effectively ending your career (but getting paid nicely).

or we can trade you and you can continue to play and get paid the same.

It's up to you, but we can't have you on the ice anymore."

AKA robidais island oil version.

NMC isn't real for this exact situation, you just have to ask Darnell if he wants to continue playing hockey or not.

Because this happens all the time.

Holloway grew up a Flames fan so idk

I barely pay attention to the Flames until it’s our turn to beat their ass but if they offer sheeted Holloway I’d hate them intensely for some time.

Pretty sure he’s an even bigger Oiler fan now. :nod:

Reactions: bellagiobob

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Not sure if anyone listens to Hello Hockey but Tom Gazzola said Buffalo offered us Matty Savoie lol… are they this desperate for a 3C?

Also, David Pagnotta reported this morning that the Oilers are not done yet. He says they are still looking at the defence core and sounds like they want to make a move there.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Ryan and Hamblin platooning at 4C for the first part of the season is perfectly fine. Both give the team a right handed faceoff option who can do some clean up PK work. Neither is going to hurt you playing 8 minutes a night.

At the moment it seems like they can sign Broberg/Holloway and get cap compliant for day one with paper transactions/running a short roster and then LTIR Kane so you can accrue cap through out the season.

Skinner - McD - Hyman
Holloway/RNH - Drai - Arvidsson
RNH/Holloway- Henrique - Lavoie
Janmark - Ryan/Hamblin - Brown
Perry

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Ceci

Brown/Stetcher in the 7 spot.

Kemp, Carrick, Bourgault, Petrov, Peterson, Philp, Savoie as call ups.

This is how I see the roster after they put Kane on LTIR and barring another trade or an unexpected performance in camp.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Forgetting one small detail. You can’t just kidnap the players, they actually would want to have to play for your wretched team. There are no entrance signs on the Saddledump, only exits, for obvious reasons. But flattered that they love our young players so much.

Even when firmly in the gutter, they can’t help but try and acquire any Oiler player, or any player rumored to go to the Oilers.

Bitch ass losers.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Assuming we are looking D core and moving Kanes money and more for it. Who are we potentially targeting that has 2+ years left for 2 or 3 RHD?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The more I hear about the McLeod trade the more I think JJ wasn’t actively looking to trade McLeod but Adams either made or accepted such a ridiculous proposal that JJ couldn’t say no.

Could be right. He did mention McLeod along with Holloway and Broberg as key young players prior to free agency.

But he has moved on from Foegele, Desharnais who were largely negative players plus/minus wise in playoffs. McLeod didn’t have a strong playoffs either.

I do wonder though once we resigned Henrique if McLeod just because disposable in JJ’s eyes. I do think he wants a more stocked pipeline as well.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Could be right. He did mention McLeod along with Holloway and Broberg as key young players prior to free agency.

But he has moved on from Foegele, Desharnais who were largely negative players plus/minus wise in playoffs. McLeod didn’t have a strong playoffs either.

I do wonder though once we resigned Henrique if McLeod just because disposable in JJ’s eyes. I do think he wants a more stocked pipeline as well.
I think Adams asked about McLeod at the draft and JJ just threw Savoie’s name out there not expecting Adams to accept. Waited a week and Adams gave in.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
With St. Louis weak at LW and strong at RD with 7+M in cap still. Think they would entertain Parayko for Kane + Ceci pending movement clauses were waived

Edit: they also have Faulk and Krug as RHD. So this is an area of surplus for them.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
JJ is going to trade Ceci to New Jersey for Nemec and I wouldn’t even be surprised at this point.

Looks like Huberdeau never traded in his Lambo for a pickup truck.
Wow. They put a coat of paint on the Saddledump. Looks better than it has in the past. :)

The list is pretty short of players that actually want to play in Calgary and Broberg with Holloway are not on it.
Holloway is from Bragg Creek. Sometimes you cant wash that stink off.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

If the approach is moving on from players that flail in the playoffs and/or give inconsistent at best performances I can’t agree with it more.

If it’s proven time and time again that certain players can’t rise to the occasion then it’s time to move on if the goal is winning the Cup. There’s no room for “maybe he’ll not be a liability next year.”

If there’s any doubt, move on.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
***purely making this up*** knowing JJ he’s probably going to find a way to trade Kane and Ceci for Parayko. And then Ceci will instantly be considered a top 10 shutdown puck mover

• Haha
Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
The more I hear about the McLeod trade the more I think JJ wasn’t actively looking to trade McLeod but Adams either made or accepted such a ridiculous proposal that JJ couldn’t say no.
Gazzola said Buff offered us Savoie LOL

Reactions: McDoused
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad