Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
I’m still pretty inexperienced anytime cap issues arise, but assuming the Kane locker room rumours aren’t true and he’s just going on LTIR for the start of the year, my understanding is if Broberg and Holloway sign their qualifying offers and Savoie makes the team, we would be able to ice a full healthy roster with ~3.5m of LTIR overage allowance to play with.

If he returns during the season, all we should have to do is trade Ceci and not take any salary back in order to be compliant again.

I wonder if we’re “done” now, and we give Ceci some time to rebound on the bottom pair before Kane comes back in hopes of not having to add much in a trade to get rid of his salary. I could see Kane going on LTIR as a big reason Ceci wasn’t traded at the draft despite the rumours. It also allows us to be a bit more patient with Broberg if he has a difficult start to next season having to play the right side as I’ve seen suggested by the media.

The more I think about it, the more I’m blown away at the work that’s been done this summer. I’ve never been as excited for a season to start.

On another note, is there another site at all similar to cap friendly anyone uses for when it goes down this summer?

puckpedia.com

Looks like they're implementing an arm-chair GM page too

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I’m still pretty inexperienced anytime cap issues arise, but assuming the Kane locker room rumours aren’t true and he’s just going on LTIR for the start of the year, my understanding is if Broberg and Holloway sign their qualifying offers and Savoie makes the team, we would be able to ice a full healthy roster with ~3.5m of LTIR overage allowance to play with.

If he returns during the season, all we should have to do is trade Ceci and not take any salary back in order to be compliant again.

I wonder if we’re “done” now, and we give Ceci some time to rebound on the bottom pair before Kane comes back in hopes of not having to add much in a trade to get rid of his salary. I could see Kane going on LTIR as a big reason Ceci wasn’t traded at the draft despite the rumours. It also allows us to be a bit more patient with Broberg if he has a difficult start to next season having to play the right side as I’ve seen suggested by the media.

The more I think about it, the more I’m blown away at the work that’s been done this summer. I’ve never been as excited for a season to start.

On another note, is there another site at all similar to cap friendly anyone uses for when it goes down this summer?
There is puckpedia.com and cap-space.com.

They're not on the same level as capfriendly, though. At least not yet.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Really liked this analysis. I hear Lane Peterson (sp) is the same way

To maximize cap- it’s better to put him on LTIR after the season starts then you get the full 5.125M on LTIR. Doing it before you have the problem of getting right up to the LTIR max then you have issue re-activating Kane because you won’t have the cap
It is much better to be cap compliant with Kane on LTIR because then they can accrue cap space. That appears to be the direction JJ is taking. That's if he goes on LTIR.

It doesn't matter when you put Kane on waivers. You get the full 5.125M regardless if it's before or after the season starts. They could put him on now and spend just under 5 million on players (they are around 300k over right now) and still be good when the season begins. That or just put him on and do nothing or just spend some of it and then more when the season starts.

Then the problem you stated comes up. What do you do when he is ready if you signed players to replace his cap hit? That and they would not be able to accrue cap space as they would be over with these same players they brought in to replace his space. That's why Stone waits. Maybe convince Kane to limp along until March, then LTIR him until the playoffs. ;)

It's telling though that the Oilers will possibly have 5mil on LTIR and not really need the player due to their forward depth. A truly healthy Kane would be fun to watch. :)

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Spotrac is pretty okay.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Where there is smoke as they say...Don't know this guy for the record, but he's followed by some people who I do respect as far as Oilers hockey news goes.

Just to play off of this. Holloway and Bouchard would be two. Could we really see Drai extended 8 years x 13.5 plus another D brought in?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Holloway, Broberg, trade, mystery signing.
One is probably just drai re signing

Spotrac is pretty okay.

Nah it sucks it’s not accurate at all. Someone will fill the void just like capfriendly did when cap geek went down.

The smart play would be for the nhl to simply have this on their own website. This is the nhl and Gary we are talking about though.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Obvious something will happen with the defense. Writing is on the wall.

Honestly, Ceci for a McLeod replacement makes a lot of sense.

Although I'd love to see team give Hamblin a shot, at the end of the day he's more of an injury fill-in you're grateful to have on hand, vs. a day-one starter. Especially as he's by far their best waiver excempt forward.

But as said, Ceci for a defensive centre making 2mil or less makes a ton of sense; and I will continue to sing my love of Nico Sturm.
If that happens, and you can get Holloway and Broberg signed for 1mil or less, then you'd have enough space to just squeeze under the cap with Kane on a 22-man roster. Or so CapFriendly shows: (I'm surprised it's still up, but won't complain)

1720300656185.png

Kemp and Carrick have the same cap hit, so either could be the 7thD. But I'd start with the one that has the most upside to grow into something useful (I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Kemp step into VInny's role)

Assuming Kane's on LTIR to start the year, you can afford to have both Ryan and Lavoie in the PB to begin with the season.

Reactions: McDoused

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Honestly, Ceci for a McLeod replacement makes a lot of sense.

Although I'd love to see team give Hamblin a shot, at the end of the day he's more of an injury fill-in you're grateful to have on hand, vs. a day-one starter. Especially as he's by far their best waiver excempt forward.

But as said, Ceci for a defensive centre making 2mil or less makes a ton of sense; and I will continue to sing my love of Nico Sturm.
If that happens, and you can get Holloway and Broberg signed for 1mil or less, then you'd have enough space to just squeeze under the cap with Kane on a 22-man roster. Or so CapFriendly shows: (I'm surprised it's still up, but won't complain)

View attachment 892931

Kemp and Carrick have the same cap hit, so either could be the 7thD. But I'd start with the one that has the most upside to grow into something useful (I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Kemp step into VInny's role)

Assuming Kane's on LTIR to start the year, you can afford to have both Ryan and Lavoie in the PB to begin with the season.
I’m probably in the minority here but I wouldn’t trade Ceci unless they have a replacement lined up.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
They can put Kane on LTIR before the season starts if needed to be cap compliant.

I mentioned this many years ago and was called stupid and dumb (literally) by some of the capologist posters here. They said I should stick to posting nonsense. Kind of like that accountant guy lately. lol They said it couldn't be done. That LTIR could only be used after the season started. That they were smart and I was not (literally). Turned out they were wrong. Never did get an acknowledgement of that. ;)
You were likely told you can, but there's almost no point to it because the main CBA guys on here have been talking about training camp LTIR for as long as I've been on here.

In the case of a guy like Klefbom, training camp LTIR basically did nothing because it would only give the team a few $100k in LTIR. Getting under the cap for Day 1 LTIR is what gave the full $4M in relief.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
One is probably just drai re signing

Nah it sucks it’s not accurate at all. Someone will fill the void just like capfriendly did when cap geek went down.

The smart play would be for the nhl to simply have this on their own website. This is the nhl and Gary we are talking about though.
just?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I’m probably in the minority here but I wouldn’t trade Ceci unless they have a replacement lined up.

I think it’s bordering on negligence to move him without replacement.

He gets shit on because he’s bad with Nurse (who isn’t), but he’s more than fine in a third pair role. Dealing him exposes massive holes on the right side with little to no redundancy if we run into injuries or Broberg doesn’t continue his playoff play.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
You were likely told you can, but there's almost no point to it because the main CBA guys on here have been talking about training camp LTIR for as long as I've been on here.

In the case of a guy like Klefbom, training camp LTIR basically did nothing because it would only give the team a few $100k in LTIR. Getting under the cap for Day 1 LTIR is what gave the full $4M in relief.
This is the right answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad