Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
You have to think Ceci is traded next.

Look down the lineup.

1. We arent trading the core of McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH, Ekholm, Bouchard or S.Skinner (too good of a cap hit).

2. Jackson isn't going to trade any of the guys he just signed in Skinner, Arvidsson, Janmark, Henrique, Brown, Perry, Stetcher, Brown or Pickard.

3. Broberg and Holloway are cheap contracts we can't afford to replace. Also trading Ryan doesn't help with the cap.

4. Nurse and Kane both have NMCs. I dont see either one wanting to waive.

That leaves Ceci and Kulak. I really don't see any reason to keep Ceci over Kulak at this point.
I think the condition for Kane to waive his is him getting pushed from a top 6 forward spot, he thinks very highly of himself and isn't happy taking a lesser role, though I'm sure he'll still want a say on where he ends up and I'm not sure how many teams are actually interested in his services. The condition for Nurse waiving his NMC I think will occur when the org has a heart to heart talk and just say we need this money to pay the extensions of players who are more important to the success of the franchise than you, if Nurse realizes he is standing in the way of the paydays of his friends and of the Oilers ability to stay competitive I think he'll reluctantly agree to waive the NMC.

NMC's obviously hinder a team's ability to make moves, but a ton of players with NMC's have been successfully traded it's usually not flexed to outright stop a team from moving a player altogether, it's more often a point of leverage so the player who is getting moved has agency in controlling where they are moved and on their own terms and timetable.

Reactions: McDoused

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
THERE HAS? Where?

DNB speculating about some TDL targets and mentioned Hall and Stauffer agreed he’d be a good target double retained.

You’re probably right but, devils advocate, are we in win now mode or not?

Yes but we also have massive cap considerations coming and Savoie on an ELC could be a very cost effective add. “Win now mode” is for several seasons to come. Not just 24-25.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
DNB speculating about some TDL targets and mentioned Hall and Stauffer agreed he’d be a good target double retained.

Yes but we also have massive cap considerations coming and Savoie on an ELC could be a very cost effective add. “Win now mode” is for several seasons to come. Not just 24-25.
Holy shit. It's happening. I can feel it, it'll be real this time.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Wonder what the plan for 3/4C is. Perry is not an every game player, nor is Ryan. Have to think JJ shares the same opinion after watching them in the playoffs. Wouldn't mind a guy like Nick Cousins for cheap.
Honestly Ryan IMO is a 13th/14th forward at this point and so is the version of Perry that we saw in the playoffs.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
It's unfortunate Philp took the year off. He is a fast skater, and had something like 32 pts. in BAK the season he did play. Apparently he's been skating and working with junior guys in Canmore or wherever, but that's far away from the speed and skill of the apex NHL players. He would be a pretty decent 4C option right now.

Other than Pederson, no one else really jumps to mind. Ryan is not really an every day NHLer anymore I think. They will platoon him with someone else (this is where an older prospect like Philp would be an ideal partner to spell off Ryan at times).

North

Jun 25, 2009
It's unfortunate Philp took the year off. He is a fast skater, and had something like 32 pts. in BAK the season he did play. Apparently he's been skating and working with junior guys in Canmore or wherever, but that's far away from the speed and skill of the apex NHL players. He would be a pretty decent 4C option right now.

Other than Pederson, no one else really jumps to mind. Ryan is not really an every day NHLer anymore I think. They will platoon him with someone else (this is where an older prospect like Philp would be an ideal partner to spell off Ryan at times).
Completely forgot about Pederson. He very well might be the 4C.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Still think they might put Nuge back at centre and just run McD-Drai-Nuge-Henrique down the middle. They have the wingers to do it if Kane is healthy. There's been some talk in Oilers sports radio about Holloway getting an extended look in the top 6.

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Holloway-Drai-Arvidsson
Kane-Nuge-Perry/Savoie
Janmark-Henrique-Brown

Top 6 does their normal thing, 3rd line gets easy offensive minutes, 4th line gets hard defensive minutes as a match up line.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Last year regular season, under Knoblauch we were really the best team in NHL.

Now we enter in this season with much stronger and deeper forward group and only difference in defence in VD out, JB and TS in. Does it really threat our season success if we go like this to December or TDL.

I am sure it doesn't and we will win many more games than last season.

When opportunity comes and if it comes, we can upgrade 2RD or 4C if needed, don't need to do it now and force things just to please some fans who have no vision and trust.

Ekholm trade is example of things that are never available in off season.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
You have to think Ceci is traded next.

Look down the lineup.

1. We arent trading the core of McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH, Ekholm, Bouchard or S.Skinner (too good of a cap hit).

2. Jackson isn't going to trade any of the guys he just signed in Skinner, Arvidsson, Janmark, Henrique, Brown, Perry, Stetcher, Brown or Pickard.

3. Broberg and Holloway are cheap contracts we can't afford to replace. Also trading Ryan doesn't help with the cap.

4. Nurse and Kane both have NMCs. I dont see either one wanting to waive.

That leaves Ceci and Kulak. I really don't see any reason to keep Ceci over Kulak at this point.

Ceci + Kulak + whatever for Larsson would be interesting. I don’t know if he would want to come back or Seattle even wants to move him but its hard to find a RD upgrade on a cap deal. Broberg and Stetcher/Brown slot on third pairing.

Wonder what the plan for 3/4C is. Perry is not an every game player, nor is Ryan. Have to think JJ shares the same opinion after watching them in the playoffs. Wouldn't mind a guy like Nick Cousins for cheap.

I wouldn’t mind Evans if Montreal retains a bit

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Ryan, Pederson, and Hamblin can all take a shift as the 4th line centre without much issue. My money would be on Hamblin winning the job. Philp could/should also get a look after Christmas if he's game hasn't fallen off too much.

None are likely a permanent option, but they're good enough until the tdl.

Last edited:

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I wonder if Jackson actually sees both Perry and Ryan on the team next year. I don’t its a great idea personally.

signing Perry above league min when not signing him at all was a valid option is the biggest headscratcher so far. Gagner has way better legs/ way more game left in him than Perry. Theres definitely budget UFAs that smoke em both. Id rather run Lavoie.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That 4th line would be the best 3rd line on nearly 30 other teams 🤣🤣
Including our own :/

Kane-Nuge-Perry line does nothing for me.

signing Perry above league min when not signing him at all was a valid option is the biggest headscratcher so far. Gagner has way better legs/ way more game left in him than Perry. Theres definitely budget UFAs that smoke em both. Id rather run Lavoie.
We don't know what Perry brought in the locker room. There is more to just on ice production.
Oilers signed him for a reason and I'm sure coaching staff was consulted.
That McD clip of him hugging Perry in the end after elimination also shows something that we don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad