Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm just in awe that Jeff Jackson not only made the team better while keeping every important contributor from the finals run, but also somehow gave us a solid prospect pool.

The vision is wonderful. It's an old team but so many players have 1 or 2 years left on their deals. Some will sign cheap to stay (or be replaced by other cheap vets wanting to win) while other holes will be filled by guys like Savoie, O'Rielly and Akey.

Masterclass of a summer so far.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
So with McLeod gone, you actually can get cap compliant, albeit with a 20 man roster. Holloway and Broberg at 1.15 each leaves you 33k in cap, if you send down Ryan, Stecher, and Brown, and leaves a lineup of

Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Drai - Arvidsson
Kane - Henrique - Brown
Janmark - Holloway - Perry

Ekholm - Bouch
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Ceci

Skinner
Picard
A Ceci trade would fix everything. I trust Stecher and Brown to be good #6 D men

It’s so refreshing having so much faith in a GM, I know JJ will make the right move, whatever he decides. If he gets a 1st round prospect for Ceci, I’m considering a tattoo

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
My only point is we have one too many forwards. The replies I'm getting over the 4th line is asinine. The Oilers have enough talent to CRUISE into the post season without a 4th line, never mind having the ability to sprinkle in AHL guys to rest the Perrys/Janmarks/Ryans of the team

We have also not touched the dcore but made EIGHT moves to improve the forwards. That is some lopsided logic

My guess he will address the dcore next as far as improvements, and that will take assets. Don't be shocked if Holloway is included to do just that
I don't think that we 'touch' the D core until the trade deadline. Those are the six guys that were on the ice in the Finals.

I'm also not sure that Kane fits when all is said and done. I believe that Derek Ryan will be getting some Air Miles between Alberta and Bakersfield all season, so maybe we run a short roster.

I think there's a significant chance we add a big name defenseman at the deadline, but I doubt we're making any real impactful adds to the roster between now and camp. Broberg's gonna get a chance to build on his Cup Final appearance. And Troy Stecher/Josh Brown is good insurance if injuries or performance is an issue at any point.

I don't think Holloway is a trade chip after what he did in the playoffs this year. That's a guy you sign to term.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
A Ceci trade would fix everything. I trust Stecher and Brown to be good #6 D men

It’s so refreshing having so much faith in a GM, I know JJ will make the right move, whatever he decides. If he gets a 1st round prospect for Ceci, I’m considering a tattoo
Disagree. Those 2 players aren't very good. Ceci was actually very good in game 7

People praising Jackson as some genius here so far and suggesting he doesn't actually recognize our d was easily the biggest weakness on the time next to 2nd line depth.

If the plan is to dump Ceci and remain status quo back there, JJ isn't really that smart

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
IMO we are one upgrade on D away from becoming an absolute unit of a team. I don't mind Stetcher and I like the physicality that Brown brings, but I can't help but feel like we need an upgrade on 1 of Ceci and Nurse and since 1 of them makes $9.25 million, that upgrade will come at the expense of Ceci.

If enough time has passed since losing his father that Larsson would be ok coming back, he’s a perfect match. Aside from that though, I don’t think any potential RD rental is both an upgrade, and on a team where he would be available. If you could just talk Anaheim into eating 50% on Fowler this year and next in exchange for a king's ransom, we’d sure be set

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Nah, what's stupid is ppl who think Kane will be out for the entire season to suit their own hopes and prayers.

I laugh at the lines compiled without him

If he isn't traded, he will count against the cap at some point. The whole Mark Stone narrative is fools gold
I think Kane will be out to start season at least. We don't know the extent of the injury too. I want Kane on this team still.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I don't think that we 'touch' the D core until the trade deadline. Those are the six guys that were on the ice in the Finals.

I'm also not sure that Kane fits when all is said and done. I believe that Derek Ryan will be getting some Air Miles between Alberta and Bakersfield all season, so maybe we run a short roster.

I think there's a significant chance we add a big name defenseman at the deadline, but I doubt we're making any real impactful adds to the roster between now and camp. Broberg's gonna get a chance to build on his Cup Final appearance. And Troy Stecher/Josh Brown is good insurance if injuries or performance is an issue at any point.

I don't think Holloway is a trade chip after what he did in the playoffs this year. That's a guy you sign to term.
It was abundantly clear the dcore needed upgrading, despite finals. In a few cases they almost cost us finals.

Like I said, JJ only focusing on the forwards does not compute in the slightest

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
He doesn't help anytime soon.. and by god is he small.
I know he's a good player... I'm just surprised this is the move we are making.

I feel like there has to be another move coming.
He is 3 cm shorter than Patrick Kane

Just google players under 5’9”
No reason to think he can’t make it and have one hell of a career especially now that he gets to learn from some of the best offensive talents in the world.

Last edited:

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Disagree. Those 2 players aren't very good. Ceci was actually very good in game 7

People praising Jackson as some genius here so far and suggesting he doesn't actually recognize our d was easily the biggest weakness on the time next to 2nd line depth.

If the plan is to dump Ceci and remain status quo back there, JJ isn't really that smart
I respect your opinion but trading Ceci opens up the opportunity to improve the D at the TDL. That 3.25m cap space is essential to free up. I would have no problem letting the season play out and assessing our needs at that time. Who knows, maybe Broberg takes a huge step forward and the bottom pair plays better than expected? If none of the above happen, Savoie is a good trade chip

Looking at the roster, there is literally no one else they can move other than Ceci or Kane to improve the D given the cap situation. Kane has an NMC and his value is probably at an all time low.

The Oilers can never have a perfect roster but this one is very good

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He is 3 cm shorter than Patrick Kane

Just google players under 5’9”
No reason to think he can’t make it and have one hell of a career especially now that he gets to lean from some of the best offensive talents in the world.
Gourde, Spurgeon, Atkinson, Arvidsson, Zuccarello, Caufield, Gaudreau, Debrincat, Marchand, Marchessault are all his size or smaller.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It was abundantly clear the dcore needed upgrading, despite finals. In a few cases they almost cost us finals.

Like I said, JJ only focusing on the forwards does not compute in the slightest
You can't always upgrade everything in the offseason. Cap restraints and limited market options tie your hands.

There's an 82 game season that separates one playoff run from the next and you don't need your A roster to get through it. The only player off of last season's D core we've lost is Desharnais. And we've brought back Stetcher and added Josh Brown, who brings a similar set of tools that Desharnais brought.

Are you suggesting we've taken a step back?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

It would, but you don’t HAVE to make a move either. There’s a pretty good chance that by the time Kane is coming back, someone else is hurt, and you kick the can further down the road. And if nobody is hurt and you want to move Ceci, you’re not dealing from a position of weakness where other teams know you can’t get compliant unless you make a trade.

Reactions: Gordian Knot

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
You can't always upgrade everything in the offseason. Cap restraints and limited market options tie your hands.

There's an 82 game season that separates one playoff run from the next and you don't need your A roster to get through it. The only player off of last season's D core we've lost is Desharnais. And we've brought back Stetcher and added Josh Brown, who brings a similar set of tools that Desharnais brought.

Are you suggesting we've taken a step back?
Anyone who watched Ceci and Nurse, or them together and doesn't think the Oilers need to improve back there needs to rethink their philosophy.

They definitely were not catalysts in heling to get to SCF. The team won despite them many nights

It's not about taking a step back, it's actually about improving

Last time I say it, why would JJ make MASSIVE improvements upfront and ignore the dcore.? Especially when the whole hockey world watched and talked about how bad Nurse and Ceci are?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
It would, but you don’t HAVE to make a move either. There’s a pretty good chance that by the time Kane is coming back, someone else is hurt, and you kick the can further down the road. And if nobody is hurt and you want to move Ceci, you’re not dealing from a position of weakness where other teams know you can’t get compliant unless you make a trade.
True but I’m thinking of a situation where Kane is healthy to start the year and the Oilers need to be cap compliant by the start of October. For once, i think it would be nice to not be completely capped out and rely on LTIR and bonus overrages. it would make dealing at the deadline a lot easier id imagine

Either way, I’m okay if Ceci stays or goes, I just think the later also gives an opportunity for them to see what they have in the system

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Team should just move Kulak. Right side is too scary looking as is to move Ceci without bringing in a replacement IMO.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Stecher
Broberg - Ceci
Brown

Will get us to the deadline. Would open up enough space to sign both Broberg and Holloway to a small raise and still have some wiggle room to spare without running a barebones roster.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Tarus

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Anyone who watched Ceci and Nurse, or them together and doesn't think the Oilers need to improve back there needs to rethink their philosophy.

They definitely were not catalysts in heling to get to SCF. The team won despite them many nights

It's not about taking a step back, it's actually about improving

Last time I say it, why would JJ make MASSIVE improvements upfront and ignore the dcore.? Especially when the whole hockey world watched and talked about how bad Nurse and Ceci are?
Because the free agent market dictates the moves you're able to make. Look at the contracts the UFA defensemen got this week.

Seattle isn't trading you Adam Larsson in the summer. But if they fall out of the playoff picture, moving him as an impending UFA makes a whole lot of sense.

Look back to the Mattias Ekholm trade. Nashville signed him to an extension that summer. The market for true upgrades happens when teams fall out of the playoff picture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad