Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Janmark is the type to patiently wait for the other signings and then take what’s left. That’s my hope at least, he’s done it before. True team guy
They should have signed him by now. He's a safe bet to be a good bottom 6 option for a couple of years. 3 years at 1M would be fair.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I will never for the life of me understand the emotion when it comes to who gets management jobs.

Is it not apparent that Jeff Jackson is the guy running the ship right now? And his priority when it comes to hiring a GM has everything to do with that person's contacts and the rapports they've built over the tenure of their career.

Who out there today would be at the top of the list?

This isn't a situation where the new guy comes in and puts his own people in. The assistant GMs, the scouting department, the coaching staff. They're all here already.

Waste of energy to get up in arms about this stuff.
Are you seriously thinking it's the GM's role or qualifications that people take issue with when it comes to Bowman or am I misunderstanding your post?

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I will never for the life of me understand the emotion when it comes to who gets management jobs.

Is it not apparent that Jeff Jackson is the guy running the ship right now? And his priority when it comes to hiring a GM has everything to do with that person's contacts and the rapports they've built over the tenure of their career.

Who out there today would be at the top of the list?

This isn't a situation where the new guy comes in and puts his own people in. The assistant GMs, the scouting department, the coaching staff. They're all here already.

Waste of energy to get up in arms about this stuff.

You don't get the emotion attached to the Franchise you cheer for potentially hiring a person who covered up sexual assault?

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory

Besides his absolute shite work as a GM nepo baby, Bowman actively covered up sexual assault and tried to protect the assaulter. He's a f***ing asshole, and he should never, ever have another job in the NHL again. Can't believe this organization would be so monumentally stupid.

Like how f***ing dense are you, Jackson?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Desharnais to VAN. f*** off.

They got Sherwood who I liked too.

Will have to see how the rest of Free Agency plays out to see how I feel about 2M. But if we have the space, I probably do that instead of some 1M plug.

Hollywood55

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com

Besides his absolute shite work as a GM nepo baby, Bowman actively covered up sexual assault and tried to protect the assaulter. He's a f***ing asshole, and he should never, ever have another job in the NHL again. Can't believe this organization would be so monumentally stupid.

Like how f***ing dense are you, Jackson?
He even wrote a letter of recommendation for the guy who sexually assaulted Beach

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Kyle Beach was sexually assaulted by a former trainer on the team, and Bowman and Quenville did nothing about it. In fact they even recommended said trainer to get a new job in the league. The organization basically brushed aside the allegations to win, and Beach has PTSD from the incident to this day.
Video coach, and they fired him and fully intended to dump the guy when they found out about him, but did the usual corporate thing of keeping it quiet to avoid bad publicity during a cup run while making it go away in the offseason in the hopes no one would notice.

Quenville is the one that wrote the letter of recommendation(since he was part of the coaching staff)

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The motivation to get Bowman is absolutely mystifying if it’s true.

Not that this makes it all ok, but it isn’t like this is Sam Pollock here where you deal with the fallout because he’s an ace at his job. He’s a shit GM, there is zero redeeming quality here that makes it anywhere close to worth the PR and messaging disaster it would be. Insanely stupid.

This organization has trouble understanding that senior positions with the Oilers are essentially political roles where public support is a part of having the flexibility to do your job. That isn’t there on day 1 if he hires him. He also better ace every move, because one screw up will disintegrate the small amount of leverage he’ll start with.

Baffling. Completely baffling.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Are you seriously thinking it's the GM's role or qualifications that people take issue with when it comes to Bowman or am I misunderstanding your post?
Are you new here? There are posters out there who ONLY whine about the GM, regardless of the context. On a forum called 'Hockey's Future' the conversation frequently revolves around the general manager.

I'm aware of the Bowman optics, but again, why am I worried about it?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad