Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I feel like Noah Gregor is an interesting 4th line option that didn't get a QO too.

Double down on team speed and Alberta roots. Gregor is 84th percentile in top speed and 90th in 20+ mph bursts and then go sign Nic Aube-Kubel(born in Slave Lake) who is 94th percentile in top speed and 93rd in bursts.

If they somehow afford McLeod at #4C, that's the fastest 4th line in the league.

The Avalanche 4th line in 2022 is one that caught my eye and I think one to emulate.

Three absolute burners that wouldn’t produce much, but would win their ice because they pushed the puck in the right direction and would keep other teams honest with fear of getting burned by a turnover.

Gregor/McLeod combo would be in that vein.

Reactions: McDNicks17

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I feel like Noah Gregor is an interesting 4th line option that didn't get a QO too.

Double down on team speed and Alberta roots. Gregor is 84th percentile in top speed and 90th in 20+ mph bursts and then go sign Nic Aube-Kubel(born in Slave Lake) who is 94th percentile in top speed and 93rd in bursts.

If they somehow afford McLeod at #4C, that's the fastest 4th line in the league.
Yeh Im interested for his speed. Thought he fell off the map in Toronto after starting out somewhat strong.

Reactions: McDoused

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Yeh Im interested for his speed. Thought he fell off the map in Toronto after starting out somewhat strong.

Like every other player ;)
Gregor would be a nice addition to our 4th line and I’m sure Jason would be ecstatic lol

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Like every other player ;)
Gregor would be a nice addition to our 4th line and I’m sure Jason would be ecstatic lol
Hockey wasteland lol. I was a bit jealous seeing him score some breakaway goals in Toronto. But don't know much his overall game except that he's a burner.

Reactions: McDrai

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
giphy.gif

Hopefully we can bring back some of our guys so that we don't have to go dumpster diving this year.
I wouldn't really call it dumpster diving.

Most of those guys are there just because their teams are afraid of arbitration.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I wouldn't really call it dumpster diving.

Most of those guys are there just because their teams are afraid of arbitration.
Arbitration screwed us on Pool and Yamo.

So how does it work? Without a QO these players become UFA? And their original teams can still offer them a deal, they just have to compete with the market?

Reactions: McDoused

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Noticed that Matt Murray(the Dallas Stars one) didn't get a QO either. Maybe we can finally bring him in for that poster on here that's a big fan of his.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

2 or 3 years at 800k and I’d take him back. Worst case scenario is he’s the Gags role of beloved locker room guy who spends time in the AHL without costing anything against the cap.

Nate Schmidt being bought out. Anyone think he would be a good addition on the bottom pair on a cheap one year deal?

I know a top 4 guy is more of a priority.

I can see a case being made for moving out Kulak if you can get Schmidt for half the caphit, but even then, Kulak’s so good in the playoffs that it doesn’t feel worth it

I’m not sure I’d be wasting my time working a deal out with him the first day of free agency, but if he’s still around in a month and we’ve missed out on the main targets, I’d have time for him.

If Brown is looking to get well paid again he can GTFO

Ya he’s saying all the right things, but at the end of the day, he needs to take a significant pay cut in order to stay

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Arbitration screwed us on Pool and Yamo.

So how does it work? Without a QO these players become UFA? And their original teams can still offer them a deal, they just have to compete with the market?
Yeah. They'll be UFAs tomorrow.

Some guys don't get a QO and then accept a cheaper deal from their former team, but it's pretty rare.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
If they had "simply made the choice to buy him out", they would have bought him out on day 1 of the window - not the last possible second while they pursued a trade according to literally every mainstream news outlet who talked about this at all.

You think you're making a point but you're not. You simply do not know the asking price on that cap dump & if you did, I'm guessing you would very probably agree with the decision to buy him out instead.
See my post above yours. They save 1.4 m in cap space over 6 years buying him out. This is a very important 6 years. They would've saved 3.3m in cap space leaving him in the minors.

They would've saved 11.7m in cap space if they had traded him.

I would've paid quite a bit.

Reactions: foshizzle

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah. They'll be UFAs tomorrow.

Some guys don't get a QO and then accept a cheaper deal from their former team, but it's pretty rare.
Interesting. Id have interest if Lundkvist can come cheap. RD, high pedigree. Liked what I saw of him when Stars traded for him, but it seems it didn’t work there for him.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I hope the Oilers take a flyer on a few of those guys with pedigree. Adam Boqvist would be a nice Ceci replacement up until the deadline. I remember we had some interest in him earlier this year.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Campbells contract cost the team 3.9 mil in cap space this year due to being in the minors. It would be the same next year. That's his hit.

Buying him out means you save 3.9 this year out of 5. In reality you are paying 1.1m out of 3.9m. Hence the 2.8 in saving.

It gets worse in year 2 and 3 where the "savings" are only 1.6M and then 1.3M.

Now if they bit the bullet and paid the cost of trading him, they would save a full 3.9M over three years and another 1.5 mil for the three years after that.

It's not as rosy as some may think.

Nothing wrong with your premises. You are correct that when you compare a buyout to burying that the savings for the first 3 years are 2.8, 1.6 and 1.3.

You are also right that trading him would have saved them even more money. This isn't rocket science. It would have been nice to save an additional $10M from trading him.

The problem is that trading him would have cost an arm and a leg outright. If the cost to eat $5M is a 1st round pick, you would have traded 3 1st round picks. So that's not an option.

So I ask again, what would you do? Do you retain? How much? 50%? 25%? What do you give up?

Slice it however you want you need to give up something to make Campbell go away. The least painful option was to keep our assets and have a small % of the cap for the next 6 years.

Reactions: TheGingaNinja

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I hope the Oilers take a flyer on a few of those guys with pedigree. Adam Boqvist would be a nice Ceci replacement up until the deadline. I remember we had some interest in him earlier this year.
I like Lundkvist. For the same reason.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
See my post above yours. They save 1.4 m in cap space over 6 years buying him out. This is a very important 6 years. They would've saved 3.3m in cap space leaving him in the minors.

They would've saved 11.7m in cap space if they had traded him.

I would've paid quite a bit.

They save $4.5 million over 6 years by buying him out.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Nothing wrong with your premises. You are correct that when you compare a buyout to burying that the savings for the first 3 years are 2.8, 1.6 and 1.3.

You are also right that trading him would have saved them even more money. This isn't rocket science. It would have been nice to save an additional $10M from trading him.

The problem is that trading him would have cost an arm and a leg outright. If the cost to eat $5M is a 1st round pick, you would have traded 3 1st round picks. So that's not an option.

So I ask again, what would you do? Do you retain? How much? 50%? 25%? What do you give up?

Slice it however you want you need to give up something to make Campbell go away. The least painful option was to keep our assets and have a small % of the cap for the next 6 years.
Trade Bourgault. There's a first right there.

If your argument is that he's not worth that much anymore it supports the argument of cap space over picks.

Reactions: foshizzle

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's crazy how Dallas can make moves like this without the fan base caring too much here we are complaining about the smallest little thing.
Like I said during the playoffs #NOPASSION. Yeh they don’t care enough to piss and moan.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $30,350.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00