Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Vegas Claim & Somehow Assign Lavoie to Farm... because Oilers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Well, the Oilers could have like not waived him not once but twice. The vitriol should be reserved for Oilers management not Vegas.

With that said, it's not like Lavoie is a critical piece but just more evidence of this organization not prioritizing development through how many regimes now, since the 80s?

They better win the Cup this season because they're pretty much going to be cooked in the not too distant future unless they can magically unload the Nurse contract and, no, this has little to do with losing Lavoie.
Exactly. Waiving players is tempting fate that you lose them outright. The bottomline is this is on Oilers management first. Don't waive him and nobody can claim him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What greater display of poor asset management prospect mismanagement do we need than losing 4 top prospects in one offseason?

This org is terrible at it since Booch. To the degree that maybe its moot point it throws drafts away like confetti. We lose the good ones anyway.
Since Bouch? They've been piss poor at asset management since the late Sather/early Lowe GM days.
It's just been foul up after foul up ever since and this new management group doesn't instill much confidence that it's changed.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
What greater display of poor asset management prospect mismanagement do we need than losing 4 top prospects in one offseason?

This org is terrible at it since Booch. To the degree that maybe its moot point it throws drafts away like confetti. We lose the good ones anyway.
If they had waived Perry or Ryan would another team have picked them up?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Since Bouch? They've been piss poor at asset management since the late Sather/early Lowe GM days.
It's just been foul up after foul up ever since and this new management group doesn't instill much confidence that it's changed.
I didn't want to overshoot it. I'm hyberbolic. heh. Yeah, I concur.

I'm always amazed this club even drafted Draisaitl. It defies the drafting this org has shown since Steve Kelly. I get it, preaching to the converted, all that;)

If they had waived Perry or Ryan would another team have picked them up?
I donated free ride to airport to no avail. Old dad joke.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
We can’t afford him because we signed 15 3rd pair Dmen, but Lilligren from the Leafs apparently requested a trade and is miles better than any of our 2RD options now. He’s a bit soft which might be an issue in playoffs but as of now he’s comfortably better than Emberson, Stecher or Dermott.
Bang on....I suspect most of those 15 guys end up in the California Sunshine for the Winter.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

I'm always amazed this club even drafted Draisaitl. It defies the drafting this org has shown since Steve Kelly. I get it, preaching to the converted, all that;)

Drafting Leon was all MacT the one time he thought he was the smartest person in the room and was actually right about it. All the pundits had us picking Bennet instead and a majority of the fans on here as well.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

I understand that the Oilers wanted the cap space to possibly make a deal on a D-man but if they wanted to clear some space then who was going to claim Perry?

Apart from his age and checkered past, he is making considerably more than the league minimum which makes him tougher to slot-in than somebody like Lavoie who is making the league minimum. And you know that Perry wouldn't be fussy at this stage of his career in terms of joining another team and other teams would know this.

So waive him and let him guzzle some tequila in Bakersfield (lots of good looking chicks who are real goers down there too- I spent a year down there one weekend in my younger days) for a few months and then when (inevitably) you need a 13th forward then recall the guy.

Meantime, you evaluate what you have in Lavoie and if it doesn't turn out then waive him too.

Reactions: Biltmore

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
it’s shocking how much older this org has gotten in the last few months. Older, slower.
I really feel like this point is overblown by them having Ryan and Perry around right now, neither of whom I would expect to be regulars in the lineup come playoff time. Replace them with two of Philp, Savoie or Jarventie and all the sudden the average age goes down significantly.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Another young prospect that oilers put into developing turns into smoke. Oilers are old and slow as shit with basically nothing in the pipeline. There was definitely some scheming going on in the background with Vegas and the mystery team. What a bloody joke.
With Lavoie they might have been younger but they’d still be slow.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Well, the Oilers could have like not waived him not once but twice. The vitriol should be reserved for Oilers management not Vegas.

With that said, it's not like Lavoie is a critical piece but just more evidence of this organization not prioritizing development through how many regimes now, since the 80s?

They better win the Cup this season because they're pretty much going to be cooked in the not too distant future unless they can magically unload the Nurse contract and, no, this has little to do with losing Lavoie.
The thing is Jackson did identify development has been a problem.

It’s why some of the hires were made in player development. Unfortunately we’re not going to see the fruits of that for awhile.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
so if Vegas is allowed to claim Lavoie again and then are able to send him down immediately, that is an insane rule. The only team that should be able to send him to the AHL is the original team, otherwise, what is the point of the rule?

Think no one else claiming is the proof that there is no other obvious path for Lavoie to stay on an NHL roster if Vegas isn't going to do it.

We probably should have let the smoke clear for a while after this poop show before waiving him again. We so desperately want only 12 forwards and extra cap space accrual though I guess.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
so if Vegas is allowed to claim Lavoie again and then are able to send him down immediately, that is an insane rule. The only team that should be able to send him to the AHL is the original team, otherwise, what is the point of the rule?
also, if this is the case, why not claim every player on waivers who is an upgrade on your AHL team? put in a claim for all of the players that you feel are an upgrade for your AHL players. Until you hit 50 contracts, keep trying to stack your AHL team.

Think no one else claiming is the proof that there is no other obvious path for Lavoie to stay on an NHL roster if Vegas isn't going to do it.
but, why wouldn't Edmonton claim Lavoie again and then try and send him down? I don't get this rule.

Reactions: McHelpus

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
also, if this is the case, why not claim every player on waivers who is an upgrade on your AHL team? put in a claim for all of the players that you feel are an upgrade for your AHL players. Until you hit 50 contracts, keep trying to stack your AHL team.

but, why wouldn't Edmonton claim Lavoie again and then try and send him down? I don't get this rule.

Us waiving him I think makes us count like any other team that didn't claim him. Vegas gets sole status as the only team that appears to even consider him a player they would want on their NHL roster. I think we are making it very clear we do not want him on an NHL roster.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Yup, it's not like anyone is helping us. Not sure why this organization is so soft.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
There is so way Vegas just Colluded with another team to do this. If i was Katz i would hound Bettman and have an investigation opened up. If a team just wanted to f*** with us that's one thing, but if they Talked with Vegas at all about this that is absolutely f***ed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad