Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Oilers waive Lavoie again

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Well, he nearly backstopped them to one last season so not sure how you can say that with such certainty.
This is a guy who went toe to toe with Oettinger and Bobrovsky and it's not like the Oilers had a 70s Canadiens defense sheltering him. This seems to be forgotten because of 1 regular season game.

The reality is that I don't see how you can find a clearly better goalie than Skinner and what do you do? Trade Skinner in the package too because any high level starter is going to come with a big price tag.

The realistic path to improving the team is the defense. Skinner is good enough to win them a Cup, as evidenced by last season.
I disagree, they got within one win in spite of Skinner, not because of him. He was pulled in the Van series and Pickard saved their asses in game 6. Thankfully he found his game in game 7. Their speed overmatched Dallas but he did play better. In the finals, in game 3 they were up then Florida pumped 3 goals by him in 10 minutes. Again, they were fortunate enough to drag it to 7 games after being down 3-0.

There’s a large enough sample size on him to show he’s wildly inconsistent and it’s hard to win with inconsistent goaltending. It’s no secret the defense and goaltending are the issues. With not much cap space Bowman will have some tinkering to do but I’d be more inclined to try and fix the goaltending than the D because good goaltending can bail out a mediocre defense but inconsistent goaltending won’t.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Last edited:

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
now Vegas gets to automatically send Lavoie to the AHL and he doesnt have to clear

I cant grasp why this rule is a thing. I guess so players dont get stuck in an infinite claim loop?

North

Jun 25, 2009
Ultimately it’s that a hole other team that claimed Lavoie so we couldn’t send him down without waivers and then decided not claim him now. It must have been Vancouver.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
That’s been my theory, that Vegas did a small futures side deal with another team to make a bogus initial claim.

Theory confirmed.
This saga has been more entertaining than that Winnipeg game by a country mile.

Good for Lavoie. He gets a fresh start with a different team. When your old team has waived you 3 times in the past 2 seasons then its safe to say that they didn't have much faith in you.

Well, I guess the "13th forward" selection is down to either Philp (out of hockey for a year) or Lavoie (completely unproven at the pro level).

Is there someone else I am missing?

North

Jun 25, 2009
Really don't understand why they felt the need to waive him again. It was entirely obvious that Vegas would claim him again, did they want to do McRimjob a favour?
Ultimately it’s the cap space. Also if they are considering signing one of Shattenkirk, Jultz, or Giordano, they’ll need it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad