Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Oilers to sign Dermott, assign Philp, waive J. Brown, Caggiula, Lavoie, Rodrigue to minors.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Has Ty Smith ever played the right side? He’s a local guy and I’d be open to giving him a look over a guy like Stecher or Dermott.
Sounds like he's been pretty terrible wherever he's gone. He'd basically be a Dermott replacement if anything.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
The Defense scares me this year and more so than just the personal. We lost a lot of speed on the forwards and those guys had the speed to come back and help out defensively and help keep the puck deep on dump ins.

I'm worried the older team will be slow to get back to help and slow on the forecheck which will just put more preasure on our weak defense and average (at best) goaltending..

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I agree Lavoies a scorer, we don't need that currently. especially in the bottom six, he won't get opportunities to get goals there. Philp is the better choice for that role.
We don’t need a scorer in the bottom 6?

Brown, Janmark, and Ryan all had 12 points last season. Podkolzin had 2 points in 19 games.

The only potential goal scoring we have in the bottom 6 right now is the corpse of Corey Perry and a 34 yo Adam Henrique, who frankly looks like he’s on an island right now.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
They’re probably going to recall Philp pretty quickly. It might just be a paper transaction to keep their options open before the season starts.

Listening to KK he wants Philp to play big minutes in Bako and get lots of touches adding he’s very close.

Reactions: Cloned

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Brown, Janmark, and Ryan all had 12 points last season. Podkolzin had 2 points in 19 games.

The only potential goal scoring we have in the bottom 6 right now is the corpse of Corey Perry and a 34 yo Adam Henrique, who frankly looks like he’s on an island right now.

Is it that different to last season?

The players they replaced usually only produced when they got elevated to the Draisaitl's line and not when they were playing bottom-6 deployment.

I don't think anyone expects Connor Brown to not make a significant improvement offensively on the 3rd line also.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

I didn't like the signing of either Henrique or Perry. This org is allergic to giving young guys opportunities

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
A left shot d, who has zero NHL games, limited offense, meh defence. Why would we want him in our NHL club?
The same reason they opted for Emberson. Familiarity with Knoblauch. The Rangers farm system has opted for vets over its prospects in depth roles for a while and it's resulted in some of their guys being mismanaged.

From what can be found out there, this is the first time I've heard of him being poor defensively. The majority of scouting reports call him low-event with a solid first pass.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

The third line will be great again. Preseason doesn't indicate much when it comes to aging vets who are already assured a spot.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The third line will be great again. Preseason doesn't indicate much when it comes to aging vets who are already assured a spot.
I’m not basing it on preseason. I’m basing it on last season and the fact that all these guys are another year older.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Has Ty Smith ever played the right side? He’s a local guy and I’d be open to giving him a look over a guy like Stecher or Dermott.
As someone who's liked Smith dating back to his draft year, he's not comfortable playing the left side at the NHL level, let alone playing his offhand.

He never developed the foot-speed necessary to keep him in the NHL. And as an undersized D, it seems to be his downfall.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If this was true, Philp and Lavoie would already be here over Ryan and Perry.

I disagree. Lavoie never played against a solid NHL line and still showed some defensive speed wobbles in his game. Then he got injured. Philp is being sent down to get large minutes to round out his game after not playing for a year rather than low minutes here. KK seemed pretty clear he will be up this year.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad