Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The oilers defence is in a desperate situation and that’s perfectly healthy with all hands on deck.

Oilers need a big trade now.
Nah. The most critical pieces from a finals blue line are still in place, the performance downgrades of the 4/6 spots will be marginal.

Rushing a reactive trade would be foolish, there’s no market right now, they would just be throwing away assets. This team is good enough to weather the storm for the first half of the season the same way they became a top 5 defensive team in the league, by committee with good, structured play.

This reminds me of the year before last when fans were howling for Holland to trade for a defender in December/January when the options were the corpse of Edmundson or emptying the cupboards for Chychrun. Instead Holland waited until the trade market developed and made the best addition he could. Now just like then, patience will pay off.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Nah. The most critical pieces from a finals blue line are still in place, the performance downgrades of the 4/6 spots will be marginal.

Rushing a reactive trade would be foolish, there’s no market right now, they would just be throwing away assets. This team is good enough to weather the storm for the first half of the season the same way they became a top 5 defensive team in the league, by committee with good, structured play.

This reminds me of the year before last when fans were howling for Holland to trade for a defender in December/January when the options were the corpse of Edmundson or emptying the cupboards for Chychrun. Instead Holland waited until the trade market developed and made the best addition he could. Now just like then, patience will pay off.

This is the worst D we’ve had since before Ekholm (when the D was the Achilles heel). Nobody around here wanted Joel Edmundson despite Montreal fans trying to sell him for years.

There is nobody to play the PK on the right side. There is nobody with size on the bottom half of the D, there is nobody to play against elite opposition in the defensive zone. Darnell Nurse gonna carry the mail for you?

People severely underrated our right side (despite the fact that it was CLEARLY the area where we could best use an upgrade).

Going from “good enough” to AHL caliber is catastrophic. In today’s NHL, NOBODY can carry a team and compensate for sub-par defence. That includes McDavid and Drai. You’ll annihilate the San Jose’s of the NHL but when it comes down to a 7 game series vs. A good all-around team with good goaltending… you’re in deep

The whole point of the moves has been to accrue cap space for the deadline to improve it then so they don't have to gut the roster to do it now.

If that was “the whole point” of these moves (getting robbed blind and decimating the D), we are truly the worst-managed franchise in history.

We’ve all been paying very close attention to who has been/will be available on the RD side for the past couple years. The best guys coming up are… Adam Larsson? Who had a bad year last year and doesn’t even wanna play here.

Come on. Come trade deadline, you can’t magically invent a player that fills our needs and trade for them. Besides, nobody in the NHL is going to want to help us. The Flames going to gift wrap Rasmus Anderson for us? Or will they just trade him to Vancouver or LA for half the price… you know the answer.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
This is the worst D we’ve had since before Ekholm (when the D was the Achilles heel). Nobody around here wanted Joel Edmundson despite Montreal fans trying to sell him for years.

There is nobody to play the PK on the right side. There is nobody with size on the bottom half of the D, there is nobody to play against elite opposition in the defensive zone. Darnell Nurse gonna carry the mail for you?

People severely underrated our right side (despite the fact that it was CLEARLY the area where we could best use an upgrade).

Going from “good enough” to AHL caliber is catastrophic. In today’s NHL, NOBODY can carry a team and compensate for sub-par defence. That includes McDavid and Drai. You’ll annihilate the San Jose’s of the NHL but when it comes down to a 7 game series vs. A good all-around team with good goaltending… you’re in deep
Our right is fine. It’s not better by any means but it’s fine. Stetcher was a regular on the PK in AZ. Played over 2 minutes a game of PK time. Emberson has played some PK too a bit over a minute a game for the sharks. Our right side is by no means AHL caliber. We still have 4 NHL players there.

Reactions: ujju2 and fuswald

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Our right is fine. It’s not better by any means but it’s fine. Stetcher was a regular on the PK in AZ. Played over 2 minutes a game of PK time. Emberson has played some PK too a bit over a minute a game for the sharks. Our right side is by no means AHL caliber. We still have 4 NHL players there.

Ya Emberson has played a LOT more PK in the AHL the last couple seasons than the NHL.

This reeks of decade of darkness copium. Come on, people. “We found a random AHLer so we don’t need any of those game 7 tested defenders anymore! Everything is fine! Bob Stauffer says he’s great!”

Stecher is an absolute midget. Size isn’t everything, but when you throw Desharnais in front of the net on the PK you know what you’re going to get. Stecher won’t be able to hang with elite/large offences. He’s going to box out Filip Forsberg and Ryan O’Reilly?

Our right side isn’t fine. Come on, man.

Before Woodcroft dipped into our AHL team and raised up Desharnais, the Oilers were DYING out there. It’s hilarious how people don’t remember how desperate this team was for RD like 2 years ago. Goldfish memory. We could have missed the playoffs that year if we didn’t staunch the bleeding on D.

Reactions: McHelpus

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Ya Emberson has played a LOT more PK in the AHL the last couple seasons than the NHL.

This reeks of decade of darkness copium. Come on, people. “We found a random AHLer so we don’t need any of those game 7 tested defenders anymore! Everything is fine! Bob Stauffer says he’s great!”

Stecher is an absolute midget. Size isn’t everything, but when you throw Desharnais in front of the net on the PK you know what you’re going to get. Stecher won’t be able to hang with elite/large offences. He’s going to box out Filip Forsberg and Ryan O’Reilly?

Before Woodcroft dipped into our AHL team and raised up Desharnais, the Oilers were DYING out there. It’s hilarious how people don’t remember how desperate this team was for RD like 2 years ago. Goldfish memory. We could have missed the playoffs that year if we didn’t staunch the bleeding on D.
Obviously our #1 priority and sole focus will be upgrading the right side. That being said it is absolutely fine to start the regular season. We’ve made the playoffs and even won rounds with the following

Larsson
Russell
Benning

Larsson
Bear
Russell

Larsson
Barrie
Bear

It’s going to be ok. Our forwards are the best in the nhl right now. Our only focus will be the D this deadline.

Reactions: stewy04 and ujju2

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Speaking of decade of darkness. Matching Brobergs ridiculous offer sheet would have been a decade of darkness thing. I’m glad we’re passed those days of desperation.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Askarov would be a great add but I think that Nashville will want an actual warm body if they move him. Probably a young prospect with similar upside. That second from the Oilers would at best be around a 45th or so pick assuming it was St. Louis' pick (the Oilers don't have their 2nd). Even though goalies don't get a lot in return he is still a guy many would see as a top end goalie prospect. A mid second is not much of a return at this point. Of course things may change. Askarov may force their hand and the return may be less than expected. I just don't see that being the case right now.
Holloway or Broberg??? What could have been.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Speaking of decade of darkness. Matching Brobergs ridiculous offer sheet would have been a decade of darkness thing. I’m glad we’re passed those days of desperation.

You’re either right or you’re wrong, what can I say?

If Broberg, an 8th overall pick who a lot of hockey people have been extremely bullish on, who just played well in the cup finals, doesn’t develop into a top 4D- then yes, St Louis will have overpaid a few bucks.

If he is anything like what he looks to be, he’ll be getting Nurse money in 3 years time and people will be asking “how the f was Edmonton so stupid?” Time will tell.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Id have to think that this was already explored. It could be that salary or opportunity wasn't enough for the player. We already have 4 players (Embersen, Stetcher, Brown and Carrick) capable of bottom RD.
Save Emberson, I would say that Lindstrom would be my preference over the other three.

Reactions: InTheBox

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If that was “the whole point” of these moves (getting robbed blind and decimating the D), we are truly the worst-managed franchise in history.

We’ve all been paying very close attention to who has been/will be available on the RD side for the past couple years. The best guys coming up are… Adam Larsson? Who had a bad year last year and doesn’t even wanna play here.

Come on. Come trade deadline, you can’t magically invent a player that fills our needs and trade for them. Besides, nobody in the NHL is going to want to help us. The Flames going to gift wrap Rasmus Anderson for us? Or will they just trade him to Vancouver or LA for half the price… you know the answer.
So overdramatic haha. No one was robbed and nothing was decimated.

Bottom of the roster players are moved all the time.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Don't think it's that far fetched that we can limp through the season with the defense the way it stands and upgrade later, but WTF happens if one of Nurse, Bouchard or Ekholm get hurt?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

The Oilers defensive improvement is largely a product of Knoblaugh/Coffey's system IMO, not individual so much. Maybe you can point to Bouchard becoming a star tier player.

We still have 4/6 defenders from the playoff run last season including the no.1, no.2, and no.3 D that went to a Cup Final. I mean do we expect Florida to fall apart because they lost Montour and OEL (2 of their 6)?

If it becomes that much of an emergency a 4th round pick probably brings you back Cody Ceci with salary retained at the deadline when he'll be -15 in San Jose.

Obviously we're going to want to add in this area, but as people have said, being able to acrue cap means that even 945k in cap becomes like 4.5 million at the deadline, and then you can also get salary retention on a player on top of that.

Reactions: Duke74 and stewy04

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I had similar memories of that COVID Canadian division year as well.

But then I looked back at the numbers and Nurse-Barrie had a 47.8% xG%
Nurse-Bear was 59.1

Nurse-Barrie's xGF was 5th in the NHL. Which sounds fantastic until you see that their xGA was the worst of any NHL pairing that year.

They certainly were the most eventful, but probably not successful top pairing.

I think that's fair. For the most part, they were a 5 man unit with McDavid's line. They were paid to bring the offence that year, despite giving up a lot the other way.

What I like about Barrie is his ability to pass the puck. I want guys who can spring our forwards with speed as part of our transition game. Barrie obviously isn't great in the corners but I would like to see how he does in the new system and with Coffey.

Barrie also worked well with Kulak, so even if he can't keep up and play with Nurse all the time, he would be able to play in the bottom pair. He would also help with a "2nd unit" powerplay.

For 775k or 1M, it's a no risk move.

Reactions: On The Prowl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think that's fair. For the most part, they were a 5 man unit with McDavid's line. They were paid to bring the offence that year, despite giving up a lot the other way.

What I like about Barrie is his ability to pass the puck. I want guys who can spring our forwards with speed as part of our transition game. Barrie obviously isn't great in the corners but I would like to see how he does in the new system and with Coffey.

Barrie also worked well with Kulak, so even if he can't keep up and play with Nurse all the time, he would be able to play in the bottom pair. He would also help with a "2nd unit" powerplay.

For 775k or 1M, it's a no risk move.

Agreed if it's like 1 mill as a stop gap, you do it. Would actually be interested to see how Coffey impacts his game.

However if it's like Lindstrom vs Barrie, I would go with Lindstrom probably. He's a lot younger and if he pans out that's the kind of move we basically need.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You’re either right or you’re wrong, what can I say?

If Broberg, an 8th overall pick who a lot of hockey people have been extremely bullish on, who just played well in the cup finals, doesn’t develop into a top 4D- then yes, St Louis will have overpaid a few bucks.

If he is anything like what he looks to be, he’ll be getting Nurse money in 3 years time and people will be asking “how the f was Edmonton so stupid?” Time will tell.
I haven’t seen anything that suggests he will be worth nurse money in the future.

You are right though. Time will tell.

Reactions: Duke74

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Kind of impressive that he had a miserable season and still manage to outscore over half our dmen despite being on a team that scored 80 less goals.
All while being a -23 playing the fewest 5v5 minutes of any Seattle dman. The next closest was Borgen at -5. That also came with 2 minutes per game on the PP. Time he wouldn’t get here. At ES he had 16 points. Would have put him 5th among Oilers dmen, one ahead of Kulak.

He’s cooked.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
All while being a -23 playing the fewest 5v5 minutes of any Seattle dman. The next closest was Borgen at -5. That also came with 2 minutes per game on the PP. Time he wouldn’t get here. At ES he had 16 points. Would have put him 5th among Oilers dmen, one ahead of Kulak.

He’s cooked.

He does have a weird career trend the last few years where he has a bad year followed by a good one. That could come to an end now though.

At 775k-1 mill though if there's nothing else available I would still roll the dice. If he sucks, waive him.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Don't think it's that far fetched that we can limp through the season with the defense the way it stands and upgrade later, but WTF happens if one of Nurse, Bouchard or Ekholm get hurt?
Well, they're in a far better spot if that happens now.

Option A) Match Broberg, trade Kulak to fit him, forced to run a 20 man roster. Anyone gets hurt enough to miss games, but not end up on LTIR and you're playing with 5 or less defensemen. Zero cap space at the deadline. Deals are money in-money out and you've only got league minimum players to move out.

Option B) You've still got Kulak and you've got a #7D to plug in during injuries. There's also enough cap space available to carry 8 defensemen if needed and you'll have like $4M more to spend on a deadline rental.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I was suggesting last summer that he could've been moved because of this very reason. I didn't suggest there'd be a team that offered Broberg an inflated offersheet, but it was apparent that a high pedigree prospect needed the runway in the final year of his ELC.
And again if you trade Kulak last summer then you’re gifting a spot to a player who hasn’t never shown that he’s ready to be a full time NHLer, which was what was apparent.

The Oilers actually handled Broberg’s “runway” perfectly fine. He wasn’t over cooked. He just didn’t ever appear to want to be here and that was made obvious when his agent said they were aggressively going the offer sheet route.

Youre acting as if a gifted starting gig to a player who wasn’t ready would have guaranteed he’d still be an Oiler. When every sign says that he wanted out by any means necessary

But maybe broberg just isn’t as good as Kulak and never will be. Kulak is elite in the 5 slot. He’s about as good as it gets in the nhl in that role. Maybe Broberg ends up being better but we can’t run the risk of trading a guy like Kulak to find out. We’re trying to win a cup here.
Crazy idea that winning a cup should be the goal, not pandering to an underperforming prospect who had looked disappointing in every chance they gave him to secure his spot.

Reactions: North and McDoused

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The trade request just came out and they're exploring options. Maybe a 2nd and a sweetener
I like Askarov a lot. But he's not a fit in Edmonton either need wise or acquisition cost. Nashville was hedging their bets around retool or rebuild. With deciding on retool Saros became their longterm guy and then signed veteran Wedgewood to back-up.

The goalie market has shown established quality tenders deliver first round pick returns. Prospect ones is pretty volatile with rare situations where a Varlamov, who was more NHL proven, netted (pun intended) a 1st and 2nd from Colorado. Worthy gamble for the right team with need to possibly pick up a high talent prospect who's NHL ready for good value. Challenge of the position that has two roster spots. Nashville figuring out its organizational strategy under new GM Trotz has a cost in this situation. It's the young guy.

Reactions: McDoused
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad