Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Wonder if this was before the offer sheet and the Oilers walking or not.

If I was his agent, I probably would tell him this wouldn't be a bad fit. Look at the money Desharnais and Broberg just got paid, being on a high profile team like the Oilers can get you paid.

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Lindstrom
Kulak Stetcher
Emberson

Could work.
I like the idea of us farming for a young mainstay to recoup the loss of Broberg. Giving a real opportunity can trigger accelerated development like when Bouchard got promoted and got to play with Ekholm

The issue is that last season proved to us that having any handicap to short term success is a bad idea. In particular seeing that Nurse-Lindstrom pairing stands out. Having said that, Nurse seemed better with Broberg than Ceci. It's a small sample but maybe shows that Nurse responds to a skillset moreso than a steady veteran who isn't a great skater.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This club can't afford to just bank on prospects to step up though. For how long were prospects going to come up and take a spot, but never really did.

Trade Kulak and Broberg doesn't take the next step, then where are we at? Playoff teams generally don't make those kind of moves, especially ones that had Nurse and Ceci that you weren't sure what kind consistency you'd get out of them.

Broberg's attitude is to blame here too. Why did Vinny get more of a shot than Broberg?

Because he worked his ass off in practice and stayed late with the coaches to continue to work on his game. Broberg should've been doing the same.
This team banked on Cody Ceci in our top four for multiple playoff runs. Let's not pretend that a rookie playing bottom pair for 60 games in the regular season would have been make or break for the team. The Oilers had Brett Kulak and they still false started this season.

We're talking specifically about Broberg. To keep that high pick happy, you had to give him some sense that he was going to have an opportunity to earn big boy money. Signing Brett Kulak for four years did the very opposite. Vinny benefitted for that very reason. The team didn't commit significant cap to a veteran for that specific role.

Rebuilding teams would be wise to target prospects in that position far more often. Because those competitive teams are ultimately trying to get years of production where those players will inevitably be underpaid.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Then we trade Kulak and Broberg falls on his face like he had in every other NHL opportunity. Yeah then we’re in a great place. So now they’ve been criticized for rushing prospects (not sure which ones) and now you’re criticizing them for overcooking them. Funny how a month ago no one was saying they should have traded Kulak a year ago and that Broberg should have just been guaranteed a starting spot…
I was suggesting last summer that he could've been moved because of this very reason. I didn't suggest there'd be a team that offered Broberg an inflated offersheet, but it was apparent that a high pedigree prospect needed the runway in the final year of his ELC.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I was suggesting last summer that he could've been moved because of this very reason. I didn't suggest there'd be a team that offered Broberg an inflated offersheet, but it was apparent that a high pedigree prospect needed the runway in the final year of his ELC.
I see no reason why we couldn't have traded after the playoffs this year while his value was sky high and he wasn't going to get a spot here. Send him to a place like Columbus who would never be offer sheeted. That would have probably prevented an offer sheet on Holloway too

Reactions: Duke74

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah it's pretty easy to make that decision when you have saros.
And yet they drafted Askarov while having Saros. Askarov replacing Saros was the narrative out of Nashville for a long while. Saros was even on the block to be traded for that reason. But they changed their mind on the “easy” decision and did a 180. Something made them change their minds and I doubt it was just Saros is here.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I see no reason why we couldn't have traded after the playoffs this year while his value was sky high and he wasn't going to get a spot here. Send him to a place like Columbus who would never be offer sheeted. That would have probably prevented an offer sheet on Holloway too.
I was talking about trading Kulak specifically. Us losing the upside of these younger, cost efficient players is going to have a negative impact on this team's ability to eventually replace its aging vets.

This team is going to have to find a way to add guys in their mid 20s who fit some of these longer term needs.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
We have to target a team that is deciding to rebuild and target their best top 2 RHD. Not sure which teams? Immediately Calgary comes to mind but I don’t feel they are interested in trading with the Oil.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
So let's update:

Retained:
Janmark
Henrique
Brown
Perry
Stetcher
Pickard

Out:
Foegele
McLeod
Holloway
Broberg
Ceci
Desharnais
2025 4th round pick
2025 3rd Round Pick

In:
Arvidsson
Skinner
Savoie
Podkolzin
Emberson
2025 2nd round pick
2025 3rd round pick
2028 3rd round pick

Am I missing anyone?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
So let's update:

Retained:
Janmark
Henrique
Brown
Perry
Stetcher
Pickard

Out:
Foegele
McLeod
Holloway
Broberg
Ceci
Desharnais
2025 4th round pick
2025 3rd Round Pick

In:
Arvidsson
Skinner
Savoie
Podkolzin
Emberson
2025 2nd round pick
2025 3rd round pick
2028 3rd round pick

Am I missing anyone?

Jarventie/Borgault
Campbell

Reactions: McDoused

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We have to target a team that is deciding to rebuild and target their best top 2 RHD. Not sure which teams? Immediately Calgary comes to mind but I don’t feel they are interested in trading with the Oil.
Calgary has traded with us before

They sent two of their best players to division rivals. All their pieces stayed in-conference. Id argue that Vancouver is as big a rival as the Oilers.

Andersson and maybe even Weagar could be had if the Flames are bad again

But what could we give? Maybe give ice time to Emberton so we could sign and trade if he looks great

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Think we're waiting for the season to start for the final D fix. Bowman talked a lot about how we have zero involvement in Kane's injury and yadda yadda, which all GM's will say. We know better though. Likely seeds are planted for Kane to pull a Stone/Kucherov and he will time it all to be 100% fresh for playoffs after 1-2 months of full practice. But, gotta wait for the season to start to get that full LTIR benefit.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Imagine if we had just traded Broberg at the draft/ FA. Chychrun + could have likely been had given what he went for. Opportunity wasted.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Nurse was at his best when he played with Barrie. Together they were a legit top pair. If used properly, I'm sure that they can be a serviceable pair together. Barrie just turned 33, so it's not like he's a dinosaur. Seems like a low risk move on a PTO.

I had similar memories of that COVID Canadian division year as well.

But then I looked back at the numbers and Nurse-Barrie had a 47.8% xG%
Nurse-Bear was 59.1

Nurse-Barrie's xGF was 5th in the NHL. Which sounds fantastic until you see that their xGA was the worst of any NHL pairing that year.

They certainly were the most eventful, but probably not successful top pairing.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I had similar memories of that COVID Canadian division year as well.

But then I looked back at the numbers and Nurse-Barrie had a 47.8% xG%
Nurse-Bear was 59.1

Nurse-Barrie's xGF was 5th in the NHL. Which sounds fantastic until you see that their xGA was the worst of any NHL pairing that year.

The rush to give him a blank cheque a year early after that 56 game weird situation season. Still blows my mind.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Nurse was at his best when he played with Barrie. Together they were a legit top pair. If used properly, I'm sure that they can be a serviceable pair together. Barrie just turned 33, so it's not like he's a dinosaur. Seems like a low risk move on a PTO.
I'd prefer a defensive dman with Nurse

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Or trade Kulak last summer and give Broberg the runway to earn a healthy raise on his natural side. He was upset that the organization never showed that he was in their immediate plans. You can't really argue that. He wasn't going to be a top four defenseman here for a long while.

This is just proof that overcooking your prospects can also have a bad outcome. This is an organization that was heavily criticized for rushing its prospects for many years.
But maybe broberg just isn’t as good as Kulak and never will be. Kulak is elite in the 5 slot. He’s about as good as it gets in the nhl in that role. Maybe Broberg ends up being better but we can’t run the risk of trading a guy like Kulak to find out. We’re trying to win a cup here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad