Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sounds like neither get matched.
Crazy how defence was a big question mark going into this season and now it’s straight up worse than we finished the season with.
This team is allergic to a good defence lol.
I get not keeping Broberg, but moving Ceci out and not replacing him either?

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2007

I mean we basically have until March to replace them. This is still a playoff team (favourite) without them.

Keeping both and going the LTIR route basically means that's the team for the year and would eventually lose Kane/Kulak/etc when Kane is healthy.
Another year of not pushing for the division/home ice advantage will be awesome.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
LOL, Like those guys make the difference what we have now. Or difference between Ceci and Emberson.
Going from Ceci and Broberg to Emberson and Stetcher/Brown is a downgrade. Emberson while has some potential has only played 30 games. Make no mistake our D is worse than it was a week ago.
I don’t get the point of moving Ceci if we don’t trade for a replacement or if we don’t keep Broberg.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2007
Broberg and Holloway are the difference between getting home ice or not? Huh.
We're currently looking at Broberg/Ceci/Desharnais for Stecher/Emberson/Josh Brown. Agree to disagree, but I think that as things are right now the defence is much worse than at the end of the playoffs. Hopefully Bowman/JJ have something going on behind the scenes, this can't be left until the deadline, we can't have another year finishing as the 4th/5th best team in the conference and only having home ice in the first round.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
Going from Ceci and Broberg to Emberson and Stetcher/Brown is a downgrade. Emberson while has some potential has only played 30 games. Make no mistake our D is worse than it was a week ago.
I don’t get the point of moving Ceci if we don’t trade for a replacement or if we don’t keep Broberg.

Yeah, I get that it's downgrade, but it's not that big difference going to season.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Mapping out the roster, Holloway could well be a 4th liner when everyone is healthy. He has scored some highlight reel goals, so has Foegele. Broberg will be the one that stings, but there is the potential to turn it into a win at the deadline. Bottom line is they should have tried harder to sign both and traded Ceci asap in the offseason. Holloway at 1.5M x 2 and Broberg at 1.8M x 2 were probably possible right after the season ended. Maybe they will have a deal for a D in place for St. Louis' picks already? For instance, if they acquire Adam Larsson at 50% retained (2M) for picks, any major complaints?

North

Jun 25, 2009
I know that stuff man but you’re saying you’re just going to give a top 4 to a player who played 30 NHL games? Emberson will be a top 4 maybe in the future but he’s not ready yet. You can’t gift wrap the role to him just like that.

Sounds like what an OBC move would be. If we don’t get a legit top 4 Dman for that spot, I don’t know what we are thinking
What makes Broberg a better bet than Emberson when looking at their underlying numbers from last season?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You realize we got 2 d-men wanted by Knob and/or JJ. I trust more in their opinion than most of fans here seems to.
2 dmen? We for one who will be a decent #6, a Vinny replacement. I’m good with that. But we had a glaring in the top 4 and now, we have an even more glaring hole in the top 4 with no one in the org even remotely close to playing it.
And we only have a tiny bit of cap space.
So basically our team is going to do what it can till the deadline with a bottom 10 defence and hope it’s good enough to keep a top 2 division spot till then when we can maybe fix that hole.
Its just astonishing how little they care for D

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There's no guarantee either of them pan out, and we're down Ceci, they best be making moves on defense now with the cap space and picks.
I don’t think we will. We have just over a mill in cap space and by all accounts Kane is back before the deadline. This is our defence till the deadline. Let’s hope it’s good enough to have a good start. Ekholm and Bouchard are going to have some crazy heavy lifting again.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Gotta think they sign a RHD now that has some reps to stop gap to the deadline.

Schultz/Barrie etc

Then trade for a top 4 guy at the deadline

Reactions: Oilslick941611

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
The usual crew on here are going to rip me so I’m just going to say that we made a mistake by letting our top groomed prospects go. Our D core is not good anymore.

Even letting Ceci go is bad because all we really did is gift spots to Emberson and Brown/Stecher. Whoever thinks this D core is still good must be dreaming.

Hopefully we have another move because I am not seeing what is good about letting Holloway and Broberg go.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

In my eye the easiest path is looking for a physical RHD that's an upgrade on Ceci and traded for them with retension. Looking primarily at someone like Larsson, Murphy, or Savard. Just so long as they come in at 2mil or less.

Pair them with Kulak to strengthen the "3rd pairing", that way they and Ekholm-Bouchard offer up a ton of support around Nurse, while he plays with the #6 (be it Emberson or Stecher).

Ekholm-Bouch
Nurse-Emberson/Stecher
Kulak-Murphy
Emberson/Stecher

Looks good to me.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
2 dmen? We for one who will be a decent #6, a Vinny replacement. I’m good with that. But we had a glaring in the top 4 and now, we have an even more glaring hole in the top 4 with no one in the org even remotely close to playing it.
And we only have a tiny bit of cap space.
So basically our team is going to do what it can till the deadline with a bottom 10 defence and hope it’s good enough to keep a top 2 division spot till then when we can maybe fix that hole.
Its just astonishing how little they care for D

Who was that top 4 dman? Everyone wanted Ceci out from there because he wasn't up to the job and Broberg's time in there isn't something we can count on it would last.

Of course I want they to be better and proper top 4 dman to play with Nurse, but those guys aint that big difference to what we have now.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In my eye the easiest path is looking for a physical RHD that's an upgrade on Ceci and traded for them with retension. Looking primarily at someone like Larsson, Murphy, or Savard. Just so long as they come in at 2mi or less.

Pair them with Kulak to strengthen the "3rd pairing", that way they and Ekholm-Bouchard offer up a ton of support around Nurse, while he plays with the #6 (be it Emberson or Stecher).
Just gotta find a team willing to give up one of those players with over 50% retention, which imo won’t happen till closer to the deadline.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Who was that top 4 dman? Everyone wanted Ceci out from there because he wasn't up to the job and Broberg's time in there isn't something we can count on it would last.

Of course I want they to be better and proper top 4 dman to play with Nurse, but those guys aint that big difference to what we have now.
Then who’s that top 4 Dman? Troy Stecher? I don’t see anyone available yet

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Ceci wasn’t a good top 4 d but he was a very good penalty killer and was capable of playing those minutes although with a struggle. Who do we have rhat can do that? Literally no one.
Make no mistake Ceci is still better than anyone on our dcore outside of Nurse, Ekholm, Bouchard and maybe Kulak. The defence is worse, I don’t know how that’s even arguable.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
The usual crew on here are going to rip me so I’m just going to say that we made a mistake by letting our top groomed prospects go. Our D core is not good anymore.

Even letting Ceci go is bad because all we really did is gift spots to Emberson and Brown/Stecher. Whoever thinks this D core is still must be dreaming.

Hopefully we have another love because I am not seeing what is good about letting Holloway and Broberg go.
Again it is a depth and when is the window best question.

When Kane came back you had to move $5M in cap (after having moved Ceci) or like $3M and play short two players.

So really it is Broberg and Holloway stay and then Ceci kulak Henrique/skinner out. I just don’t see how Broberg is worth two decent D next year and Holloway is worth that exchange.

Cheap and young is great but expensive and young and not worth the contract in a cup year isn’t

Reactions: McTonyBrar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad