Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Buchnevich wasn't waiving for Edmonton.
This is so false!

We could have had Buch at 50 percent retained if we moved both players and we'd have him this year also.

We didn't want to move both young players
(reasonably so)

Now we are flat out getting screwed. This doesn't happen if Holland is still here....

commie

Jul 30, 2005
Here's a question which would you rather have to round out the bottom 6?

Holloway at 2.3
Holloway-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Ryan/Philp-Perry

Kostin at 2?
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Kostin-Ryan/Philp-Perry

Or Lavoie at 0.75mil, and the extra 1.5 mn cap space to upgrade on Stecher/ the 4th line centre
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Lavoie-Ryan/Philp-Perry

Knowing they already have Janmark locked up for the next 3 years, I think I like the other 2 options more than Holloway. Kostin gives you a proper replacement for Kane, and creating as much cap space for a defence upgrade should also be a priority.

Definitely 3rd option, time for Lavoie/Savoie/Jarventie to shine.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
In a heartbeat. He can be a rat at times, but he’d slot in extremely well next to Nurse, and he’s seriously underpaid. We’d only need our bottom pairing to play like 10 minutes a night if we had a top 4 of

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Andersson
I think the offer proposed is insulting as hell to the Flames and just another example of Fandom winning out over common sense and logic.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
I think the offer proposed is insulting as hell to the Flames and just another example of Fandom winning out over common sense and logic.
Whether it i s or not makes NO sense for the Oilers to give Broberg, Ceci and a First round pick for the same cap dollar player. May as well match Broberg and save the 1st and trade Ceci for something else.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
The Andersson talk makes me laugh. Conroy went out of his way to trade players to some of our biggest division rivals (Vancouver, Vegas). Then he turned down our better offer to trade Tanev to Dallas. Dude hates our organization and is a flamer for life. He’s certainly not going to help in getting us out of a pickle.

Reactions: Sanchez

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Andersson talk makes me laugh. Conroy went out of his way to trade players to some of our biggest division rivals (Vancouver, Vegas). Then he turned down our better offer to trade Tanev to Dallas. Dude hates our organization and is a flamer for life. He’s certainly not going to help in getting us out of a pickle.
Get a third team involved.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
It’s starting to feel like the Bowman/Jackson era is going to be worse than the Holland era. July 1st was fun but the Perry contract, hiring Bowman, and losing 3 of the fastest and youngest players on the roster has set me back to being just as skeptical of Jackson as I was when he was first hired.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It’s starting to feel like the Bowman/Jackson era is going to be worse than the Holland era. July 1st was fun but the Perry contract, hiring Bowman, and losing 3 of the fastest and youngest players on the roster has set me back to being just as skeptical of Jackson as I was when he was first hired.
Jackson was only recognized for July 1st?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
That's where I'm leaning too.

Maximize assets and cap space for the TDL and use the waiver wire and/or PTOs to round out the depth pieces.

Plus I want to see Lavoie finally get a shot. Lord knows I've been beating that drum for long enough. :laugh:
Agreed, Lavoie has done what has been asked of him and he deserves a legit chance. Give him some good minutes with good players and try to pump him up. Maybe you get a good contributor on a cheap contract and build some trade value.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Whether it i s or not makes NO sense for the Oilers to give Broberg, Ceci and a First round pick for the same cap dollar player. May as well match Broberg and save the 1st and trade Ceci for something else.
If the Flames would trade a legit top pairing, arguably #1 defenseman, for a 2026 late 1st, a 2nd and Ceci, not only would they be ridiculed relentlessly by everyone, but Edmonton would be even more so for thinking it was a bad deal for them.

Imagine the Flames offering a 2026 late 1st + 2nd + Jake Bean for a 27 year old Ekholm and somehow thinking they were making a bad deal.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If the Flames would trade a legit top pairing, arguably #1 defenseman, for a 2026 late 1st, a 2nd and Ceci, not only would they be ridiculed relentlessly by everyone, but Edmonton would be even more so for thinking it was a bad deal for them.

Imagine the Flames offering a 2026 late 1st + 2nd + Jake Bean for a 27 year old Ekholm and somehow thinking they were making a bad deal.
Ekholm and Andersson aren't the same. However the Oilers did get Ekholm for 1st, Barrie and Schaefer

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Ekholm and Andersson aren't the same. However the Oilers did get Ekholm for 1st, Barrie and Schaefer
Andersson is an absolute impact making top pair defenseman in his prime at a small cap hit for 2 more seasons. They might not play the same style but they are both comparable.

And did you think the Oilers made a bad deal, or that it wasn't worth it to acquire him for those assets? Of course not. You do it every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Which was my point in response to the claim that the original offer was somehow a detriment to Edmonton, nevermind the fact that I still think it's a lowball offer for Calgary and this place would agree if the roles were reversed.

Edit: The Oilers also traded a 1st round pick for that coming summer, not a year beyond that. We don't even have a 1st this year so it's not the same offer.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
After thinking about the situation more part of me thinks Jackson was aware this offer sheet situation could happen and some of his actions make sense. For example signing all of Skinner, Arvidsson, Henrique as well as Perry, Stetcher, Brown. It seemed like a lot at the time but if he felt like someone was going to pull a move and put them in a position to have to overpay on question mark young players it makes sense sense that he would bring in more free agents to mitigate the possible loss. Then he went out and shed salary while also bringing in cheap young players who could be close to ready in Savoie and Jarventie.

Then I look at it from Broberg and Holloways agents point of view. Neither of them likely wanted to negotiate mid season when their clients are struggling to even be in the lineup and contracts aren’t getting negotiated during a playoff run so you get to the end of the playoffs which is a week before free agency. At that point they would have known at least one GM in Armstrong is looking at offer sheets (he had stated as much) and the agents would have known Edmonton was extremely vulnerable so what’s the point of advising your client to extend with the Oilers at that point? Why not just wait until free agency starts to see if any GM’s reach out.

I can see a situation where both agents were hesitant to sign a new deal with Edmonton before free agency started in order to see if an offer sheet comes. It’s not like they have anything to lose by waiting, as it wouldn’t change their negotiating position with Edmonton. If Jackson felt like this is what was going on then it makes sense that he went out and signed all these players on day one of free agency as an insurance policy in anticipation of Holloway and Broberg being offered contracts that would be tough to match.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah I'd be interested in hearing more on Gustav Lindstrom but it does seem weird that he's sitting unsigned given his age if he's good. Overplayed his negotiating hand?
I mean sometimes there are hidden gems that you sign or get on waivers, and he might be one. But I would take a proven Schultz over him.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
After thinking about the situation more part of me thinks Jackson was aware this offer sheet situation could happen and some of his actions make sense. For example signing all of Skinner, Arvidsson, Henrique as well as Perry, Stetcher, Brown. It seemed like a lot at the time but if he felt like someone was going to pull a move and put them in a position to have to overpay on question mark young players it makes sense sense that he would bring in more free agents to mitigate the possible loss. Then he went out and shed salary while also bringing in cheap young players who could be close to ready in Savoie and Jarventie.

Then I look at it from Broberg and Holloways agents point of view. Neither of them likely wanted to negotiate mid season when their clients are struggling to even be in the lineup and contracts aren’t getting negotiated during a playoff run so you get to the end of the playoffs which is a week before free agency. At that point they would have known at least one GM in Armstrong is looking at offer sheets (he had stated as much) and the agents would have known Edmonton was extremely vulnerable so what’s the point of advising your client to extend with the Oilers at that point? Why not just wait until free agency starts to see if any GM’s reach out.

I can see a situation where both agents were hesitant to sign a new deal with Edmonton before free agency started in order to see if an offer sheet comes. It’s not like they have anything to lose by waiting, as it wouldn’t change their negotiating position with Edmonton. If Jackson felt like this is what was going on then it makes sense that he went out and signed all these players on day one of free agency as an insurance policy in anticipation of Holloway and Broberg being offered contracts that would be tough to match.

Yeah. Hes went out and got some young talent in Savoie and Jarventie. There also isn’t really much of a spot for Holloway when Kane comes back assuming a healthy roster. I thought maybe they would try Holloway at C.

Hes also went and picked up more RD. We basically have 8 dman and upto 10 if you count Gleason/Kemp.

That being said, if he knew he was going to lose Broberg in particular, he should of probably just traded him before it got to this point. But he might want him or wasn’t a trade he liked or maybe he just didn’t think he would sign the offer sheet.

I have no idea what Jackskon/Bowman will do at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad