Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

commie

Jul 30, 2005
Yesterday I was on the we must match both players, can’t lose young assets like that.

Now that I have time to digest this, I am on the side of letting Broberg go and take the 2nd rd pick. Could be a high 2nd at the TDL that the team can use to trade.
Holloway I am incline to match since the over pay is not much. Won’t be too hurt if they don’t match either, he won’t amount to more than middle 6, which Savoie and O’Reilly will replace.
So I would let Broberg go, sign Gustav Lindstrom to be the 3rd RHD, keep Ceci for now as the 2RHD. That will be sufficient for regular season. Who knows this Gustav may be the Oiler’s version of Florida’s Gustav :) A 25 year old RHD decent size, not qualified by Ducks, so is a FA now.
At the Trade deadline, package Ceci and the draft picks for the best available RHD upgrade. Also, LTIR Kane till the playoffs.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Just sucks that we're about to lose homegrown 1st round picks for nothing.

Holloway is still a question mark, but he brings speed, skill, and youth to our team that we sorely lack without him.

Broberg brings the ability to play a 2nd pairing role better than half the dmen on the current roster.

I'm sure we can survive to the TDL without them, but it's going to sting badly...

Reactions: aspin3

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's not good enough for that 2nd pairing RHD spot. The numbers from the playoffs and them paired together were awful.

We seriously need to drive Nurse east of Rogers and just leave him at Daryl Sutter's farm for a full summer to have his defensive game rebuilt from the ground up. How can this guy stink with so many different partners.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
How short sighted do you have to be. Same guys who played too 9 in first playoffs and top 4 in defence in SCF.

Also how disengenous do you have to be to think they will score 11 points next year.

Let me guess, you were the same guy who was i board for trading Draisaitl for Subban or Karlsson or trading Bouch 2 years ago for Pennys
Lets be generous then and say 30 pts. Holloway will mostly be playing on the 4th line, so I'm being very generous. It's not 7 million of the cap worthy.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Macblender

May 5, 2014
You think Drai and McDavid want to be here in 3 years when we have scrubs playing with them. Go see what $4.5m buys you on the UFA market for a dman and tell me Broberg will not eclipse that as soon as end of this year.

Everyine looks to points and your horrible example shows that. They lose size and speed when losing both and are left with Derek Ryans and Cory Perrys for the playoffs
You do realize to keep them you need to move Ceci (with stretcher and Broberg now as our 2nd and third pair RD), bury 3 guys, play a short roster, LTIR Kane before the season (can’t accrue cap for deadline) and then you have to trade $5M ish of cap when he gets back and he has a NMC. So you want to get rid of our whole bottom 6 or trash out forward depth to keep them?

We also then have no cap flexibility at the deadline to upgrade a stecher Broberg right side.

Honestly if they are cheap which they are no longer great players. Still good but can you honestly say after the moves we likely need to make to keep them after Kane comes back that we wouldn’t just be better off saving the cap accruing to the deadline and upgrading the D?

Also if you don’t like the bottom six go try and sign a vet for what we wanted to pay Holloway who wants to try and win a cup like a JVR or Wheeler for a last good kick.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Bjugstad had 3 goals in 12 games which is solid for a bottom 6 rental player. Arizona got a future out player of it who is a marginal NHLer at this point, that's how those deals are supposed to work.

4 million for Broberg doesn't work. If you want to be mad about it be mad at Holland for having all the dead cap but as is it's not workable given our cap situation. Which again is largely Holland's fault.
Again you would rather see Ceci flubbing the puck all year for $3.5

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
You do realize to keep them you need to move Ceci (with stretcher and Broberg now as our 2nd and third pair RD), bury 3 guys, play a short roster, LTIR Kane before the season (can’t accrue cap for deadline) and then you have to trade $5M ish of cap when he gets back and he has a NMC. So you want to get rid of our whole bottom 6 or trash out forward depth to keep them?

We also then have no cap flexibility at the deadline to upgrade a stecher Broberg right side.

Honestly if they are cheap which they are no longer great players. Still good but can you honestly say after the moves we likely need to make to keep them after Kane comes back that we wouldn’t just be better off saving the cap accruing to the deadline and upgrading the D?

Also if you don’t like the bottom six go try and sign a vet for what we wanted to pay Holloway who wants to try and win a cup like a JVR or Wheeler for a last good kick.
Jvr...are ypu kidding me. Ya....that would be great. Perry, Derek Ryan and JVR and ypu think that is a stanley cup worthy 4th line?

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Jvr...are ypu kidding me. Ya....that would be great. Perry, Derek Ryan and JVR and ypu think that is a stanley cup worthy 4th line?
lol JVR put up close to 40 points last year that is an upgrade on Holloway.

Meanwhile yeah neglect the rest of the post after you have Stecher and Broberg as our RD which forwards are you trading if Kane won’t waive? Henrique and skinner so we have room to upgrade our D?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
lol JVR put up close to 40 points last year that is an upgrade on Holloway.

Meanwhile yeah neglect the rest of the post after you have Stecher and Broberg as our RD which forwards are you trading if Kane won’t waive? Henrique and skinner so we have room to upgrade our D?
I said the same about JVR this am. But let’s have posters wallow in their pity rather than fixing a situation.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
4.6 for a 3rd pairing guy is way, way too much.
Is it though? Segachev-Hedman-McDonagh were making the same at one point. I know Ekholm-Nurse-Broberg aren’t as good but still. Each guy were anchoring their own line

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Is it though? Segachev-Hedman-McDonagh were making the same at one point. I know Ekholm-Nurse-Broberg aren’t as good but still. Each guy were anchoring their own line
Yes it is. Especially when the player has only played 81 regular season games.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Klef played 77 games before he got his 4M x 8 years. 4.6M x 2 years at today price is not too bad. Of course we wish it was better.
Klef was trending to be a top pairing D IMO, and his body hadn't given out on him he would have been great. I'm not convinced that Broberg will be - not yet anyways.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
In a few years people may look at this and see us losing a top 4 dman and a top 9 forward because we wanted to keep pending free agent Cody Ceci.

Match the offer and dump ceci.

Reactions: VainGretzky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad