Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In all fairness browm some what made up some of that 3 million dead cap space by signing for 1 million. Easily made up for most of it and maybe then some of he continues to play like he did in the playoffs....

Yeah but the cost was steep as it basically cost us Broberg and Holloway, so I guess people can decide if it was worth it or not.

One thing is for sure, this team is on the old side now and management is going to have to be aggressive in finding younger roster fill ins asap.

The Corey Perrys and Derek Ryans ain't gonna cut it, Henrique is way up there in age too.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Man his offense really fell off a cliff in Nashville. He really liked being here and his wife is close to a lot of the other Oiler wifeys too.

As a stop gap option, sure why not I guess but it basically can't be for more than 1 mill.
I think his offence dropped cause he was #2 for offensive choices after Josi.

Yeah but the cost was steep as it basically cost us Broberg and Holloway, so I guess people can decide if it was worth it or not.

One thing is for sure, this team is on the old side now and management is going to have to be aggressive in finding younger roster fill ins asap.

The Corey Perrys and Derek Ryans ain't gonna cut it, Henrique is way up there in age too.
The Brown overage is made up for by his contract this year and Skinner, Henrique and Janmark taking less. Teams clearly waiting to see how long Kane is going to be injured for and if it’s all season then they probably look to keep Ceci and if it’s not then they trade Ceci cause his contract makes up for reasonable deals for those kids.
Them getting almost 7mill combined is absolutely ridiculous.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think his offence dropped cause he was #2 for offensive choices after Josi.

The Brown overage is made up for by his contract this year and Skinner, Henrique and Janmark taking less. Teams clearly waiting to see how long Kane is going to be injured for and if it’s all season then they probably look to keep Ceci and if it’s not then they trade Ceci cause his contract makes up for reasonable deals for those kids.
Them getting almost 7mill combined is absolutely ridiculous.

Essentially you got Connor Brown for 2 years at the cost of Broberg + Holloway out. Plus I guess a 2nd + 3rd round pick. Whether that was worth it, I guess people can debate.

spot

Aug 26, 2007
stauffer has brought up Rasmus Anderson from down the road a few times. I hope that we don’t match the offer sheets, take the picks and make a trade.

Ceci +EDM 1st 2026 + STL 2nd 2025 +STL 3rd 2025 for Rasmus Anderson + 1.3 million retention to make the salaries a wash.

Skinner McDavid Hyman
RNH Draisaitl Arvidson
Janmark Henrique Brown
Jarventie Hamblin Perry
Ryan

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Anderson
Kulak stetcher
Brown

Skinner
Picard

Kane on LTIR

Reactions: Duke74 and McDoused

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
stauffer has brought up Rasmus Anderson from down the road a few times. I hope that we don’t match the offer sheets, take the picks and make a trade.

Ceci +EDM 1st 2026 + STL 2nd 2025 +STL 3rd 2025 for Rasmus Anderson + 1.3 million retention to make the salaries a wash.

Skinner McDavid Hyman
RNH Draisaitl Arvidson
Janmark Henrique Brown
Jarventie Hamblin Perry
Ryan

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Anderson
Kulak stetcher
Brown

Skinner
Picard

Kane on LTIR

Obviously if that's on the table you do it, but I don't think the Flames would do that out of sheer pettiness.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Why would Nuge waive his NMC? He deserves to stay here as much as anyone.
That’s the issue to sign Broberg we have to not only move Ceci but need to move a Kane sized salary when he comes back and he has a NMC as well.

Someone has to waive or we need to move a few guys

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Please bring back Broberg. We can't afford to lose him. I don't care what anyone says. He is very good and will be even better when he gets more NHL experience. I hope Bowman thinks of that when he makes his decision. I'll be ripped for this but I see Broberg as Ekholm 2.0 eventually
He’s a completely different type of D than Ekholm.
Broberg hasn’t an ounce of physicality and gets shithammered into oblivion at least once per game.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Essentially you got Connor Brown for 2 years at the cost of Broberg + Holloway out. Plus I guess a 2nd + 3rd round pick. Whether that was worth it, I guess people can debate.
Connor Browns 3 mill isn’t why we might not have them. St Louis thinking they are worth a combined 7 mill is. Together they are only worth 3mill MAYBE 4. Which the team literally had 2 different solutions for.

That’s the issue to sign Broberg we have to not only move Ceci but need to move a Kane sized salary when he comes back and he has a NMC as well.

Someone has to waive or we need to move a few guys
We can keep Broberg by running a slightly smaller roster and movie Ceci.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Connor Browns 3 mill isn’t why we might not have them. St Louis thinking they are worth a combined 7 mill is. Together they are only worth 3mill MAYBE 4. Which the team literally had 2 different solutions for.

I don't want Broberg back, and the feeling appears to have been mutual. He's outpriced himself from us. He's not good enough to play his off side on the 2nd pairing and he's paid too much for 3rd pairing. We'd have to trade Ceci or Kulak to do either, and I'd prefer the cheaper Kulak AND Ceci (which is saying a lot). Just let him go...it's done.

Holloway is a maybe, but he's not worth 2.3x2 either. He'll be on the 4th, maybe the 3rd line. The fact that he wanted a deal for only one year so that he could go to arbitration is a tell for me. Bye Hollywood. We want players who want to play here.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't want Broberg back, and the feeling appears to have been mutual. He's outpriced himself from us. He's not good enough to play his off side on the 2nd pairing and he's paid too much for 3rd pairing. We'd have to trade Ceci or Kulak to do either, and I'd prefer the cheaper Kulak AND Ceci (which is saying a lot). Just let him go...it's done.

Holloway is a maybe, but he's not worth 2.3x2 either. He'll be on the 4th, maybe the 3rd line. The fact that he wanted a deal for only one year so that he could go to arbitration is a tell for me. Bye Hollywood. We want players who want to play here.
Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-x
Broberg-x

Kulak and Ceci will eventually get traded

Macblender

May 5, 2014

Technically it is moving Ceci, Kane going on LTIR before the season (bad as we cannot accrue cap versus if we can fit him prior and then ltir and bring players back up we can accrue), and burying 3 low cost players to keep both which I assume is 2 if we play savoie on an ELC instead of matching Holloway.

What happens if Kane comes back during the season and we now have to bank on him waiving his NMC or alternatively creating $5.15M of cap or whatever his hit is. We may have to move out a significant amount of our new forward depth and still play a short roster.

This is very risk in my opinion

Roderek

Dec 29, 2022

St Louis has the room to fit both these contracts under the cap this year with no issues. It may be an overpay, but to them it is an overpay (in cash) for 2 assets, and in reality, I am in the camp of they will take both, but really want Broberg. Make it hard for the Oilers to match and if we end up with both we can deal with any cap issues next year with the cap going up.

St Louis is getting to developed or semi developed 1st round picks for a 2nd and 3rd round pick that may or may not ever play. I don't want to say the cap hits are completely irrelevant to them, but for this year it doesn't matter. If Jackson traded Holloway for a 3rd round pick in the summer this board would have exploded, Or even Broberg for a second.

The reason that offer sheets are so rare, is they are almost always matched, or the compensation you have to give is too much. Both of these players got overpay contracts to make it harder for the Oilers to match, but also still keeping them in the lower tier compensation. The Blues know the Oilers are up against the cap and with 3 major extensions due in the next 2 years most of the cap escalation is going to be eaten up with those, making it really hard for the Oilers to match both of these. If one or both of these players were in Superstar status where the compensation would be in the multiple picks including a 1st round or even multiple first rounds I don't think either would have happened. It is possible for Broberg to be a top pairing D man in a few years, The Oilers didn't give him a chance until the playoffs, but he played well so I think there is a possiblity. I think Holloway tops out at a middle 6 winger, most likely 3rd line winger, which is pretty replaceable.

There is 0 point in putting an offer sheet in for a team friendly contract, as there is no chance it doesn't get matched, another reason these are 2-year deals, I think if Broberg was 4.5 x4 it would be a no brainer to match it.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
The more I look at a guy like Gustav Lindstrom, the more I like him. Turns out Ducks didn't qualify him so he is now a UFA, but-

-39% OZ starts, so no push offensively, but he still put up 10 points in 46 games (17 point pace)
-xGA of 28.8, was only on the ice for 17 though
-0.947 on ice save percentage to lead the Ducks D, which is just goofy

6'2, 194, only 25 years old but a good skater who knows how to play in his end. We should be offering him a one-year deal easy, maybe even two years now that our D depth is depleted with Vinny and now likely Broberg moving on. If he shows out, there's your cheap partner for Nurse to make the combined cap hit of that pairing easier to swallow. If he doesn't, no problem, you just bury him in Bakersfield where we need RD too. I don't really see a downside here.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
The more I look at a guy like Gustav Lindstrom, the more I like him. Turns out Ducks didn't qualify him so he is now a UFA, but-

-39% OZ starts, so no push offensively, but he still put up 10 points in 46 games (17 point pace)
-xGA of 28.8, was only on the ice for 17 though
-0.947 on ice save percentage to lead the Ducks D, which is just goofy

6'2, 194, only 25 years old but a good skater who knows how to play in his end. We should be offering him a one-year deal easy, maybe even two years now that our D depth is depleted with Vinny and now likely Broberg moving on. If he shows out, there's your cheap partner for Nurse to make the combined cap hit of that pairing easier to swallow. If he doesn't, no problem, you just bury him in Bakersfield where we need RD too. I don't really see a downside here.

I wonder why he hasn't been signed yet. Maybe he's still looking for more or for some term

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
If Barrie is willing to take like 1 year x 1 mill, I think they will sign Barrie. Maybe they can tack on some performance bonuses.
Came here to say this but you beat me to it.

it’s concerning how old we are now with little prospects outside of savoie and orielly (Akey needs to prove something while staying healthy)

Oilers have very little in futures to offer in upgrades and will have to resort to dumpster bin bargain UFA deals for the next few years to support mcdrai. Having Holloway and broberg as the first wave of youth after mcdrai just vanish is going to hurt the oilers down the line.

As I’ve mentioned earlier all 5 first round picks of hollands tenure have all now been traded away or lost for next to nothing. Going back to mcdavids draft the oilers have only Bouchard to show for 9 drafts now. This isn’t a recipe for maintaining a cup contender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad