Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Dumbness. Doing it in Vegas of all places ... dumb and dumber. Goodbye hipster hockey doode
What isn't smart is placing a franchise in Vegas in the first place. Bettman is crook. If you bet, you can bet getting the NHL into Vegas was a dream of his before he ever became commissioner.

What is disheartening is the Board of Governors loves how he makes them money with his dodgy revenue sharing.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
What isn't smart is placing a franchise in Vegas in the first place. Bettman is crook.
Nah. Vegas is fine as a franchise location. But was very important that hockey beat the big leagues NFL/MLB there first.

This was a poor professional judgement given the trust of league and employer confidential information and leaking it to a buddy to help him look good on the inter webs. As someone pointed out the betting window was closed. But given the reality it would be a requirement to report to LV Gaming authorities.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Nah. Vegas is fine as a franchise location. But was very important that hockey beat the big leagues NFL/MLB there first.

This was a poor professional judgement given the trust of league and employer confidential information and leaking it to a buddy to help him look good on the inter webs. As someone pointed out the betting window was closed. But given the reality it would be a requirement to report to LV Gaming authorities.
I edited my original post a little. Vegas is not a fine location for a sporting franchise because of its constitution. The man in charge is not a fine commissioner because of his nature.

If you have the wrong people at the helm, whatever can be fixed will be fixed for monetary and political gain. My thinking is if one has control over a sports league you want to keep it on the up and up. That's not Gary. That's not exactly the history of professional sports. Vegas is a gambling city filled with scoundels looking for their next score.

The NHL is sports entertainment.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I edited my original post a little. Vegas is not a fine location for a sporting franchise because of its constitution. The man in charge is not a fine commissioner because of his nature.

If you have the wrong people at the helm, whatever can be fixed will be fixed for monetary and political gain. My thinking is if one has control over a sports league you want to keep it on the up and up. That's not Gary. That's not exactly the history of professional sports. Vegas is a gambling city filled with scoundels looking for their next score.

The NHL is sports entertainment.
Bettman's job is maximizing profit for his big business cartel bosses. He's been very, very good at that. All that follows are secondary considerations and his legacy is certainly flawed. But this sports entertainment is ultimately about the Benjamins.

Gambling is a broad societal issue. Its negative impact with sports entertainment is seeping in everywhere and different levels of competition. The huge money being thrown to advertise and normalize/mainstream sports gambling is pretty disgusting, imo.

About the issue being discussed, Merek got caught breeching confidential information and while not breaking any gaming requirements prudent that network and league reported this transgression to gambling regulators. Lose the trust and integrity of the sport and it's a slippery slope toward extinction.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Bettman's job is maximizing profit for his big business cartel bosses. He's been very, very good at that. All that follows are secondary considerations and his legacy is certainly flawed. But this sports entertainment is ultimately about the Benjamins.

Gambling is a broad societal issue. Its negative impact with sports entertainment is seeping in everywhere and different levels of competition. The huge money being thrown to advertise and normalize/mainstream sports gambling is pretty disgusting, imo.

About the issue being discussed, Merek got caught breeching confidential information and while not breaking any gaming requirements prudent that network and league reported this transgression to gambling regulators. Lose the trust and integrity of the sport and it's a slippery slope toward extinction.
You make some great points but in my opinion only scratching the surface.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Think the bigger problem is the Nevada gaming is involved with the situation
You know now a days there is live betting on litterally everything???
I wouldn't be surprised if you could actually bet which player would be taken next through out the 1st round

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Just because you don’t agree with some of their takes doesn’t mean they are bad.
When your takes are factually incorrect- they are bad. When you use OPINIONS of others a source of your reporting - you're a bad journalist. Staples, in particular, is like he failed grade 10 English, Social, Science- etc. Forget his takes- he just doesn't know how to write a fact based article

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
When your takes are factually incorrect- they are bad. When you use OPINIONS of others a source of your reporting - you're a bad journalist. Staples, in particular, is like he failed grade 10 English, Social, Science- etc. Forget his takes- he just doesn't know how to write a fact based article
Have you found a journal, or news show that hasnt degraded to opinion. I find they are all about the same.

Read or watch for one line where they state a singe fact and after that opinion for it, against it, or reasons to dismiss the fact.

Good journalism is quite hard to find

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Lots of talk around the team having a much improved offense. I'll be interested to see if we can sustain or improve our GAA.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
But McTavish killed someone while driving drunk...We don't believe that people can change and learn from their mistakes to become better citizens or a positive influence. Do we?
Not sure why you think it's a good idea to bring this up again. Just for clarity- McTavish served jail time. It also happened when drunk driving wasn't considered "bad" as it is now. Covering up sexual assault would have been normal then too.
Have you found a journal, or news show that hasnt degraded to opinion. I find they are all about the same.

Read or watch for one line where they state a singe fact and after that opinion for it, against it, or reasons to dismiss the fact.

Good journalism is quite hard to find
Yes. There are many. We live in a time where we can instantly fact check.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I feel like after the Faber contract Bouch is gonna cost like 11 mil.
I don't really see them as comparable. Faber is getting paid based on projection while Bouchard is getting paid for what he's already proved.

Faber in his first full season put up 47 points which is actually more than bouchard. If anything this deal (based on projection) would suggest that Minnesota is paying him in case he breaks out the same way Bouchard did given their production and learning curves.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I don't really see them as comparable. Faber is getting paid based on projection while Bouchard is getting paid for what he's already proved.

Faber in his first full season put up 47 points which is actually more than bouchard. If anything this deal (based on projection) would suggest that Minnesota is paying him in case he breaks out the same way Bouchard did given their production and learning curves.
Lol what kind of reasoning is this Bouchard's already an 80 plus point getter and ppg playoff guy because he proved that he should get comparable pay to a guy you hope gets to that level.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I feel like after the Faber contract Bouch is gonna cost like 11 mil.
Too many identify Faber as a sure thing. I'm not certain that contract was a good bet. I've watched the player and think he's a good young defenseman but I've thought that about lots of young players that proceeded to end up not necessarily spectacular and overpaid.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Too many identify Faber as a sure thing. I'm not certain that contract was a good bet. I've watched the player and think he's a good young defenseman but I've thought that about lots of young players that proceeded to end up not necessarily spectacular and overpaid.
Faber does everything well and he is 22. When Brodin and Spurgeon were out and the Wild were missing forwards he was their best player and sometimes playing over 30 mins. He will never lead the league in points as a defenseman but he is good in all areas. Nurse cashed in after a giant offensive season playing some PP time and playing 3 on 3 OT with McDavid and Drai. That was very bad timing as that is when the Salary Cap stopped moving.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Faber does everything well and he is 22. When Brodin and Spurgeon were out and the Wild were missing forwards he was their best player and sometimes playing over 30 mins. He will never lead the league in points as a defenseman but he is good in all areas. Nurse cashed in after a giant offensive season playing some PP time and playing 3 on 3 OT with McDavid and Drai. That was very bad timing as that is when the Salary Cap stopped moving.
Leader of the Faber fan club on the prowl tonight.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
But McTavish killed someone while driving drunk...We don't believe that people can change and learn from their mistakes to become better citizens or a positive influence. Do we?
I wouldn't give him a second chance if this happened in 2024, drunk driving is inexcusable.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
It is stupid, but young people making stupid choices is definitely neither new or in the past only. Some are fortunate enough to not have it impact their life while others die or ruin their lives because of it.
Good point, you've put it into better words than me.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium