Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Sorry, Star Trek joke referencing a comment made awhile ago by a local "expert" describing Kane's career as over which of course isn't accurate.

Kane actually looked good! Healthy, happy. All that.

Edit: Out of context that joke does look deceptive. Sorry guys. Unintentional.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Sorry, Star Trek joke referencing a comment made awhile ago by a local "expert" describing Kane's career as over which of course isn't accurate.

Hopefully he wasn’t playing like Captain Kirk when you said lady friend.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

Him looking happy and healthy doesn’t mean he can play NHL hockey and isn’t injured. On the human side- I’m very happy he is doing so well.

Is Dusty Neilson Edmontons stupidest media personality (besides Spec)?
Gazzola and Kassian are pretty stupid too

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I was just looking at how the Oilers dead cap compares to other teams around the league. Oilers are carrying about 6M between buyouts and bonus overages, and most other teams are in the same range whether it’s buyouts, retained salary, bonuses or just boat anchor contracts for useless players. Some teams have also been able to stash bad cap on permanent ltir.

Nashville is carrying just under 12M in dead cap this year, Minnesota just under 15M!!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think his subpar regular season and playoff performances last year may signal the beginning of a decline, which should take about a milly off his projected contract value and is also something the Oilers should be wary of.

People slag on him now for being slow and lazy - wait till he's making $13.5 million dollars a year at age 37-38 - or even earlier than that. It will be fun times around here and will make the Looch (and Nurse) contracts look like bargains in comparison.

I'm not saying to trade him but at least consider these factors when negotiating.
Hmm , imagine the bashing I would have gotten had I posted the same :/

12.5M per would have been the starting point 14 the max. I am not a big Draisaitl fan but having him around gets us guys like Henrique, Arvi and Skinner on discounts so 13.8M is fine with me.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I was just looking at how the Oilers dead cap compares to other teams around the league. Oilers are carrying about 6M between buyouts and bonus overages, and most other teams are in the same range whether it’s buyouts, retained salary, bonuses or just boat anchor contracts for useless players. Some teams have also been able to stash bad cap on permanent ltir.

Nashville is carrying just under 12M in dead cap this year, Minnesota just under 15M!!
And most of this $6M is in this year's overage. The Campbell buyout hurts for sure but going forward dead cap space should be under control.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

6M and a portion of Nurse' cap hit

• Haha
Reactions: McShogun99

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
And most of this $6M is in this year's overage. The Campbell buyout hurts for sure but going forward dead cap space should be under control.
Yeah Neal comes off after this year and the worst years of Campbell at 2.3 and 2.6 line up with what should be a significant rise in the cap so should be manageable.

All things considered they’ve done a pretty good job managing their situation in an unexpected flat cap that stretched several years.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Is Dusty Neilson Edmontons stupidest media personality (besides Spec)?
Im sure that he is a nice guy but his radio schtick is actually quite annoying IMO.
I can only tolorate it for a few minutes then I have to change the channel.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
I don't understand the hate for Staples. I've had great interactions with him on social media. He always seems fair in his critiques, and he and Bruce McCurdy do a lot of hard work in tracking their scoring chance data.

I'm a big fan, and enjoy his post-game show a lot.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the criticism lobbed his way is due to the fact that politically he's a conservative.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't understand the hate for Staples. I've had great interactions with him on social media. He always seems fair in his critiques, and he and Bruce McCurdy do a lot of hard work in tracking their scoring chance data.

I'm a big fan, and enjoy his post-game show a lot.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the criticism lobbed his way is due to the fact that politically he's a conservative.
I don't think anyone gives a damn about political affiliations.. some just like to have strong opinions about others.
Many hated Gregor, Bob, Michaels and even Gene with passion. some probably still do. It's only a concern if the players start disliking you ala drai and a certain person. Imagine being a reporter who plays a part in desicion making of a player when it comes to signing here long term or bolting.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Hmm , imagine the bashing I would have gotten had I posted the same :/

12.5M per would have been the starting point 14 the max. I am not a big Draisaitl fan but having him around gets us guys like Henrique, Arvi and Skinner on discounts so 13.8M is fine with me.
I think by now people know your stance on Draisaitl so it wouldn't have come as any shock ;)

He did regress somewhat last year, at least point-wise, which, as I was trying to explain, should help in contract negotiations. His lower regular season numbers could potentially signal a decline, and his playoff performance dropped off of a cliff after the first two rounds. Again, by pointing to the fact that he scored only three points and zero goals in the final, the Oilers can possibly justify a slightly lower contract. MacKinnon makes 12.6 and Draisaitl isn't his equal, so 12ish seems more fair for both sides.

Reactions: LTIR

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think by now people know your stance on Draisaitl so it wouldn't have come as any shock ;)

He did regress somewhat last year, at least point-wise, which, as I was trying to explain, should help in contract negotiations. His lower regular season numbers could potentially signal a decline, and his playoff performance dropped off of a cliff after the first two rounds. Again, by pointing to the fact that he scored only three points and zero goals in the final, the Oilers can possibly justify a slightly lower contract. MacKinnon makes 12.6 and Draisaitl isn't his equal, so 12ish seems more fair for both sides.
Expecting Draisaitl to be 120 pts player year in and year out is ridiculous. It’s exceedingly rare for any player (in this era) to maintain that kind of output year after year, almost everyone has a down year or two over the course of his career.

Mackinnon and Draisaitl are about as equal a comparison as you can get, their regular season and playoff output is very similar over the last 5 years.

The key difference is Mackinnon signed his deal 2 years ago. Comparing AAV’s is useless, if you want to do an accurate comparison you have to compare the cap% of Mack’s contract at the time vs what the cap% of Drais contract ends up being against todays cap.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
McKinnon and draisaitl is at least a better comparison. I think I read a take of matthews is better than drai which I find silly.

A team would be happy to have either of McKinnon or drai on the team in the playoffs and say that gives them a edge.

Matthews in elimination games gives an opponent no fear as he seems to excel most when games don't matter

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

You know he had a broken rib for all of the WCF and SCF, right? Like, Drai is a beast in the playoffs, and was again this year until he broke a rib. Yes, he is at the stage of his career where he is starting his decline, but the last 2 rounds this past season are not good stats to back that up.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

Great Star Trek TOS pull though....:thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad