Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I would never ever take a 4 year deal. You will regress. Take the 8 and more income. Who even took a 4 year deal like this? Mustachio in Toronto?

I would ONLY take a 4 year deal if I had plans to leave on a retirement deal somewhere. still dumb to me
4 year deal would only make sense to the player after the ELC runs out, that sets them up for another huge contract or to hit free agency at 25-26.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
We are such a weird fanbase. Maybe a better word is insecure. Yes I’m going to generalize, but why all the hand-wringing if Leon and/or McDavid want to bail somewhere else? Why would they when it’s obvious that there are a lot of good things going on with the Oilers?

Were the Pittsburgh fans all worried that Crosby and Malkin were going to leave? We’re the Avs fans worried that MacKinnon was going to leave. Even TO with Aust0n and his first renewal?

For all of these players, at least in my simpleton mind, they of course were going to re-sign with their original team. Why won’t Leon or Connor? Of course they CAN, but why would they at this point?

I know we all want the deals to be done and confirmed, but let’s just have some patience and let things happen when they happen, and be happy that we aren’t Calgary!

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
We are such a weird fanbase. Maybe a better word is insecure. Yes I’m going to generalize, but why all the hand-wringing if Leon and/or McDavid want to bail somewhere else? Why would they when it’s obvious that there are a lot of good things going on with the Oilers?

Were the Pittsburgh fans all worried that Crosby and Malkin were going to leave? We’re the Avs fans worried that MacKinnon was going to leave. Even TO with Aust0n and his first renewal?

For all of these players, at least in my simpleton mind, they of course were going to re-sign with their original team. Why won’t Leon or Connor? Of course they CAN, but why would they at this point?

I know we all want the deals to be done and confirmed, but let’s just have some patience and let things happen when they happen, and be happy that we aren’t Calgary!
Yup, I honestly have no worry about either of these two extensions. Both love it here, they are best friends and want to keep playing together, it's about the only competitive place they can both play together, Katz and the entire organization treats them beyond first class, they will both be back, at worst at fair market deals, possibly with small home town discounts.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

the majority of fans aren’t even thinking about it. They know both players aren’t going anywhere. I personally haven’t even given it a second thought. I know he will sign an extension. Both will. Zero Percent worried.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Chatting is one thing. Signing makes it real. I know the team and fans wouldn't want to go into July 2025 with Drai a UFA but why should he care? It's not like we'd trade him, unless he said he was leaving.
One reason he might care is that NHL contracts a guaranteed. A serious injury this year could cost him over $100M.

Turn this one around. If you think that Draisaitl may want to wait until McDavid commits why would McDavid not want to wait until Draisaitl commits? Who blinks first?? I am quite sure that they both have a good idea of one another's thoughts on where they want to be. Can things change. Absolutely. But it makes sense for both the player and the team to get Draisaitl's deal done this off season.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation

I think it's the Pronger trauma still lingering.

Also we saw Tavares leave the Isles. Granted, he didn't live up to his draft hype the same way the other players you mentioned, but he was their franchise player.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I would be shocked if Leon comes in over 13. He will probably take less for a decent shot at a Cup or two. I’m hoping for 12.5
Disagree. IMO, there will be no discount here, Leon will go for the bag and that's his right. It'll probably come in close to 14 on a max term deal. McDavid will take the discount which will be around $15m most likely.

We just have to prepare for the likelihood that McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard will come in at around $40m.

Reactions: Zerotonine

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Ummm... not old enough to remember Gretzky? or Messier? or Cujo? or Weight?, or Pronger?, or, or, or?

Different circumstances now to be sure, but what you call "insecurities" older Oiler fans call "painful memories".

nerevarine

Nov 14, 2019
Ummm... not old enough to remember Gretzky? or Messier? or Cujo? or Weight?, or Pronger?, or, or, or?

Different circumstances now to be sure, but what you call "insecurities" older Oiler fans call "painful memories".
Or tavares? its never a given that a star will stay with his draft team. These are human beings with their first chance to pick what city in north america they will live in for the foreseeable future, there is no guarantee they will want edmonton, or that winning/building something "special" is what they will prioritize.

That being said, I see mcdavid re-signing at 95% likely and leon in the 70%sh range.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018

It’s because since the draft lottery in 2015 we’ve been told by all the fans and media outside of Edmonton (mostly in Toronto) that McDavid wants to leave Edmonton. People working for TSN, the Athletic, etc. have been a huge part of making it a story. Even as recently as during the Finals there was talk on Spittin Chiclets about Leon wanting to be a top dog on a team and live near palm trees. Heck even Stauffer brings it up on a regular basis with guests like Seravalli and Lawton. Leon extending would put an end to it all and I can’t wait for that day to arrive

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I think it's the Pronger trauma still lingering.

Also we saw Tavares leave the Isles. Granted, he didn't live up to his draft hype the same way the other players you mentioned, but he was their franchise player.
I was just going to say this too, plus other strongly revered players such as Weight & Guerin.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007

Pronger. Also Heatley and Nylander.

Edmonton isn't exactly a choice city as compared to California, Texas, or Florida. McD or Drai may want to stay, but it also depends on what the other half wants as well.

When was the last time a non-choice City won the cup or came close, other than us last month? Maybe St. Louis?

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

Because it's happened every single time we've had a player of this caliber?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
One reason he might care is that NHL contracts a guaranteed. A serious injury this year could cost him over $100M.

Turn this one around. If you think that Draisaitl may want to wait until McDavid commits why would McDavid not want to wait until Draisaitl commits? Who blinks first?? I am quite sure that they both have a good idea of one another's thoughts on where they want to be. Can things change. Absolutely. But it makes sense for both the player and the team to get Draisaitl's deal done this off season.
Kane and Toews signed together

I'm not really commenting on what is likely here. I'm just saying that based on that post it seems like Draisaitl is prioritizing signing to make a contender and that it depends on what other players do. I don't see how that couldn't include McDavid. Perhaps he is so close to McDavid and that McDavid gave his word. Maybe that's good enough for Draisaitl but no one on the outside knows. As for the security of signing this summer, that's a factor I'm sure but nothing about that presumably true story mentions that that is Draisaitl's priority. Other players have waited to sign even if it had some risk. Drai may be balancing that risk with the risk of committing long term and for less money to a team that McDavid could change his mind about and leave.

And again it's not that I believe that Drai is thinking this way or that McDavid will leave. It's just a possible way to interpret that info

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Kane and Toews signed together

I'm not really commenting on what is likely here. I'm just saying that based on that post it seems like Draisaitl is prioritizing signing to make a contender and that it depends on what other players do. I don't see how that couldn't include McDavid. Perhaps he is so close to McDavid and that McDavid gave his word. Maybe that's good enough for Draisaitl but no one on the outside knows. As for the security of signing this summer, that's a factor I'm sure but nothing about that presumably true story mentions that that is Draisaitl's priority. Other players have waited to sign even if it had some risk. Drai may be balancing that risk with the risk of committing long term and for less money to a team that McDavid could change his mind about and leave.

And again it's not that I believe that Drai is thinking this way or that McDavid will leave. It's just a possible way to interpret that info
Kane and Toews deals were up at the same time. That makes their situation completely different. For Draisaitl to wait and see what McDavid will do he would have to wait until at the very earliest July 1 of next year which would push him to free agency.

You don't have to mention security for it to be a priority. I am at least 99.999999% sure that if Leon wants to stay in Edmonton he will also want to sign before he hits UFA status.

In the vast majority of cases where other players waited it was either because they wanted to leave, or because they were not happy with their offer and waiting would give them a bargaining. In the case of both Loen and McDavid, they will get what they want.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Kane and Toews deals were up at the same time. That makes their situation completely different. For Draisaitl to wait and see what McDavid will do he would have to wait until at the very earliest July 1 of next year which would push him to free agency.

You don't have to mention security for it to be a priority. I am at least 99.999999% sure that if Leon wants to stay in Edmonton he will also want to sign before he hits UFA status.

In the vast majority of cases where other players waited it was either because they wanted to leave, or because they were not happy with their offer and waiting would give them a bargaining. In the case of both Loen and McDavid, they will get what they want.
This. Unless Leon is asking something too high like 16m, I don't see why he would wait too long to get it done.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

They were right on Bowman. Maybe they're right again?
If this is true, that's amazing. I've been prepared to have Leon want Matthews money - I wouldn't blame him after he outperformed his last contract so well. If he takes less on an 8 year deal, and both Connor and Bouchard do the same? We're laughing, and only our new GM can screw up our chances. I really hope they are correct here.

Reactions: Captain Controversy

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Pronger. Also Heatley and Nylander.

Edmonton isn't exactly a choice city as compared to California, Texas, or Florida. McD or Drai may want to stay, but it also depends on what the other half wants as well.

When was the last time a non-choice City won the cup or came close, other than us last month? Maybe St. Louis?

It’s huge that we had this run, because it’s becoming increasingly more common that people outside of Edmonton are talking about how we have the best fanbase in the league, and the pandemic showed players how much better our facilities are. Katz also seems to have grown a lot as an owner. If we can target players who don’t care about cold weather (eg Ekholm and Arvidsson both mentioned enjoying it), we have a lot to offer. And it’s only short term. They can go sit on a beach for 40 years after they retire.

Because it's happened every single time we've had a player of this caliber?

It happened when we were a low budget team, in an old rink.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

For Draisaitl to know what McDavid is interested in doing, all they have to do is have a conversation. Get Bowman/Jackson, Draisaitl and McDavid in the same room (with their agents), and map out a way for it to work for everyone. They can sign Leon's now, and have Connor's waiting for next summer.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
For Draisaitl to know what McDavid is interested in doing, all they have to do is have a conversation. Get Bowman/Jackson, Draisaitl and McDavid in the same room (with their agents), and map out a way for it to work for everyone. They can sign Leon's now, and have Connor's waiting for next summer.
This is pretty much what I had suggested. They may not do things so formally but I suspect that McDavid and Leon know very well what one another are thinking. If it turned out that Leon took a discount assuming McDavid would as well can one really see McDavid going back on this???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad