Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Jackson is McDavids camp, that’s the whole reason that he took the position leading the Oilers. I think it’s highly unlikely that the team leadership core wasn’t aware of the hire before hand and if they objected then Bowman probably wouldn’t be here.

It’s all speculation but here are two things we know for fact about McDavid. One, he trust Jeff Jackson explicitly and two, when it comes to hockey, winning is the most important thing to him.
This exactly.

And when he states in the media that he didn’t speak to the leadership beforehand, you can darn well take that to mean I’m not gonna throw them under the bus by saying anything of the sort. He’s protecting them from all sides and from all attackers. Smart CEO.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Looks like I misunderstood Elliotte's tweet. It sounded like teams were free to contact him - meaning he was not under contract.

Would be a good reclamation on the cheap, but defense is certainly a priority.
Laine is the most one dimensional player in the league, a big shot. Doesn't use his size, forecheck, play defence, nothing else. How is he a cheap pick up, unless we trade a bad contract for him, but only Nurse would offset that. Again, I don't see a positive in picking Laine up.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I hope you are right but all I see is how hiring Bowman could piss off McDrai. There have been rumors of how McDavids camp likes to have their say and while Drai may not care we just don't know.

And I am not just talking the PR nightmare stuff. Who wants a GM that took his team from best to worst. It is such a bad hockey hire I would be surprised if McDrai were not upset by it.
JJ definitely asked them if it was ok, don't let what he told us in public fool you. He was likely sheltering them from scrutiny of a very controversial hire by not lumping their names in there.
There's absolutely no way that McDavid at the very least wasn't consulted on this, no way. That would be executive malpractice by JJ who is a smart guy and knows the lay of the land.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
This exactly.

And when he states in the media that he didn’t speak to the leadership beforehand, you can darn well take that to mean I’m not gonna throw them under the bus by saying anything of the sort. He’s protecting them from all sides and from all attackers. Smart CEO.
You may be old Brent, but dumb you are not.

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Laine is the most one dimensional player in the league, a big shot. Doesn't use his size, forecheck, play defence, nothing else. How is he a cheap pick up, unless we trade a bad contract for him, but only Nurse would offset that. Again, I don't see a positive in picking Laine up.
I'd trade Nurse for Laine lol.

Reactions: McSuper and McWeber

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
giphy.gif

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
That is slightly higher than I would have hoped ($13.25M x 8) but it will be good to have it done if this is true.
Agreed. Was hoping for 13.3-13.5 range but not going to sweat over 500k.

Considering where the cap is going and the fact he’s been severely underpaid for almost the entirety of his last contract I think that would be a fair number.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
4M x 5years. It takes Broberg straight to UFA. He's Swede so they always take discount.
You’re freaking joking I would hope. He has 2 goals in 81 regular season games and you want to throw 20M at him? This has to be the dumbest post I’ve seen regarding this player.

Reactions: Vagabond

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Who is replacing Nurse and what will be the pairing? Three years from now they can add another player but you aren't replacing Nurse's minutes with a $1M dman.
Lolz, Broberg/Kulak

What do you think Nurse is? He was really good once, but he's basically like a #4 at best paid $9.25M, it's not hard to replace him

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Lolz, Broberg/Kulak

What do you think Nurse is? He was really good once, but he's basically like a #4 at best paid $9.25M, it's not hard to replace him
Lolz??? Broberg and Kulak as the second pairing full time? OK Jimmi. I hope that Broberg is good enough to replace Nurse's minutes, but a few playoff games is great start, lets see what a full season looks like.

Reactions: McTonyBrar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad