Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Not much surprise Brown is getting flushed. Clearly lost his spot as the 6/7 to a PTO.

The fact that it's difficult to pencil Lavoie into a spot this year or next likely has him on thinner ice that he deserves to be. But that can change very quickly with one injury.

Still, I think Philp will ultimately be sent him down as the team takes the safer option. The dumbest thing that could happen is waiving and losing Lavoie, but then see Arvidsson go down with an injury, and be forced to rush Savoie or Jarventie to fill the hole...

Though safe to say Philp has endeared himself to the coaching staff, and they'll likely keep him up until the last day before rosters are set.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Might have a case if there is evidence of while with the Oilers he:
  • participated in the same activity that led to the player substance abuse entry;
  • it caused a significant decrease in player performance; and
  • directly contributed to the buyout.
I don't know if there is any proof that there is a substance abuse issue. Though I have read rumors, nothing is substantiated at all. Could be mental health issues, which tbh, every team JC played for could probably coroborate.

But I do hope the team investigates this, especially with one of our rivals just dumping a contract like it was nothing in Lehner.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'll give you props for that analogy alone, lol.

I don't even LOOK at +/- when evaluating defenders. Such a terrible stat, even more so in a small sample size. Go look at Nurse's advanced stats in the finals, they were god-awful. I don't know how Ekholm's were off top of head though.

I get what you are saying on the whole though: that where you get the D from doesn't matter as much as you get it. Which is true. I expect the team to have a 50th+ percentile ES GA as a team again this year and wouldn't be shocked by 75th percentile). So I'm not saying the team D is bad, I'm saying the D corps on this team is bad. The D corps is, by far, the weakest part of this team. It was last year, and it is more pronounced this year I believe. Just imagine how much better the team D would be if we had better D players on the backend? Again, I suspect they will attempt to solve the problem somewhat at the TDL, but this unit is so bad, that even with a somewhat competent #4 added (the likely add at the TDL), the unit will still be average at best.

It wasn't the weak point of the team last year.

6th best in the league in GA (under Knob) and shutting down all 4 opponents in ever playoff round, lower GA in the playoffs than the Cup champions is not a weakness.

Again the reality doesn't match up with what you're saying. It's like whining the offense sucks for a team that has the 6th highest goals for in the league, and then one of the best in the playoffs.

That wouldn't make sense.

The Oilers defense allowed fewer GA in the playoffs than every opponent they played against including even Florida.

You can't just say it was a weak point and then have it refuted by the actual results.

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Lots of rust for the guys to shake off. No one is looking particularly good in pre-season.

Looks like a stanley cup hang over to me. I reaiize we didnt win but it's not like Florida played any more minutes than we did.

Reactions: Oilhawks

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
But I do hope the team investigates this, especially with one of our rivals just dumping a contract like it was nothing in Lehner.
It will definitely be different for the Oilers... because Oilers.

Bettman will bend over backwards for his sunny US franchise darlings... Edmonton is way too far North for them to give 2 shits about.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It will definitely be different for the Oilers... because Oilers.

Bettman will bend over backwards for his sunny US franchise darlings... Edmonton is way too far North for them to give 2 shits about.

Lets see what happens when the oilers use the LTIR like Vegas and TB did, Add players and then the player they replaced gets back just in time for the playoffs

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
edmonton needs another top 4 to play on the 2nd pairing.. their D core is worse than last year. trading ceci was addition by subtraction.

ekholm/bouchard
nurse/ceci/kulak
broberg/deharnais

2024/2025
ekholm/bouchard
nurse/emberson
kulak stecher/brown.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Here is the question with the Campbell buyout--was whatever he is dealing with now--was he dealing with it with the oilers. If so, why was it not dealt with then?
We'll probably never know.

From the sounds of it he had rebounded his game in the second half of the year with the Condors. He might have felt pretty confident that he got 'it' back at the end of the season and hopeful for a new opportunity with another team so signed with the Wings. Maybe he realized at training camp that he wasn't as put together as he thought he was, all the doubts came back, and realized he needed the help?

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I hope Campbell actually gets help and finds happiness or success, whatever he needs.

I went to that game in Abbotsford after Campbell got sent down to the Condors. The entire game the Nucks fans chanted “Caaaampbell”. Literally there were psychos screaming it ALL GAME. Campbell was obviously a struggling man, maybe a broken man. I lost a lot of respect for fans out here in the GVA but gained a lot of empathy for Campbell. He was pretty bad as an Oiler but he’s a human being too, no need to kick him when he’s down over and over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad