Post-Game Talk: Preseason GM06 | Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Canucks def. Oilers | 4-1 (Hughes, Soucy, Bains, DeBrusk)

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
he still has trouble tracking those long distance shots that goes by him or for rebounds. still needs to work on that. lankinan/silovs should be okay for the first 2 months of the season whenever demko returns

I mean true, but so did demko last year. Silovs was really good.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Oilers board arguing over whether there d-core is better or worse than last year it's clearly worse. After they were praising the heck out of Broberg in the playoffs and early in the offseason.
shouldnt have let him go. broberg was good in the playoffs he played over vinnie deharnais in the finals.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Can’t say it hit me that hard but I did had a good time playing the game and I appreciate that more Asian developers are emerging.

Especially when Western developers are losing it rn.

Note: slide in my dms if you wanna talk about gaming, don’t wanna derail this thread

But but derailing is part of HF culture!

I kid. Anyways, a good way to cap off pre-season. But let's not forget how the Oilers got trashed last season early on, and then bounced back to the finals.

Different season, different circumstances. As usual, this is still a marathon. And we just finished our warm up.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Other side note: For as much as I find myself questioning Silovs, he was better than Skinner in that series.

We just didn’t have enough good offensive players to capitalize.

He can’t skate. Anything where he’s got to move a ton, he loses his footing SO easily.

It’s why I’m a big fan of the forward acquisitions they made. Pushes Suter down, and his line gets quicker w Heinen. DeBrusk and Sprong (if he works out)… not even close there.

Sherwood on the fourth line, maybe Raty elevates himself by the end of the season so Blueger is on the 4th line and that’s another element.

If we come up against them again (assuming health & us acquiring another top four D), I like our chances a lot more than I did last year.
Pretty sure Silovs had a .88 sav% against Edmonton

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Real sloppy - team will need to be way better than this. So many turnovers right in the slot. Some of the poorest passing coming out of the their end we've seen all pre-seasons (kids might have looked better). Got to see the importance of Garland. Absolute glue player.

Good

Silovs - major reason they won - terrific. Will start season I believe.

Sherwood - best on the forecheck and good puck movment.

Sprong - probably created as much offense as anyone in this game

Soucy - not perfect but made some important and game changing plays in both ends. Him and Myers were effective.

Hughes - never plays a bad game. Maybe not his best but still a cut above most anyone else

Hoglander - worked the boards well and had some good set ups

Not Good

Raty - looked lead-footed and terrible coverage on the only goal against. If Suter is ready then it's back to Abby for Rary.

Forbert - actually a little better but still far from good. Looks like he may provide a little muscle at least

Desharnais - got beaten wide too much and not clearing the front of his net. Passing coming out of his end (a strength of the team last year) was also poor. Needs a nastier mean streak.

Heinen - did really nothing all game. Sort of body skating around

Miller - one of the worst games he's played in Vancouver. Passing was very poor on the PP and in his end. Play he made at the end of the second was unbelieveably bad. Few seconds left so he throws the puck in the front of the net. One of the many forcing Silovs to make huge saves.

Others

Bains - gives what he's got and actually has some talent around the net. But like Raty he has to work so hard to stay in the the play and be decent in transition. Character and hustle off the charts but can't skate well enough in the end to end action. Should not start the season here. Pity is that despite talk about how development on the farm is good, there are just not players moving up from minor league level that help the team in any meaningful way.

DeBrusk - like most of the pre-season, he showed little. Like Bains a goal and an assist but also like Heinen where you had to search for him in the play. There seemed a little chemistry in the Pettersson line but most of that was due to Sprong. Others weren't doing enough with the service they were getting.

Boeser - one of the games were you wonder how much the Canucks should pay him. Not bad but you wonder is he is premier player. Pre-season so that needs to be factored in. LIke others, tough game with the man advantage.

Can see the McDavid influence on the OIlers. Grab the stick and then pretend the other player is hooking or holding you. Oilers got away with a lot of that in this game per usual. Frustrating but you know he is going to get the calls.

Luckily the PK was very good. PP on the other hand was a real mess.

Team has some work to do but so do the Oilers. Said to be prohibitive Cup favorites but they have some huge holes on their back end. In fact, the chances for many teams winning the Cup this season seem now wide open.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Pretty sure Silovs had a .88 sav% against Edmonton
There’s a quality difference though. Like VAN just didn’t create enough quality stuff. And his goals were the distance ones. Skinner legit can’t skate and read the play well. Even in the dying seconds of game 7, if Miller’s shot is on net, it’s a tie.

We just need to get better offensively to create more lateral plays. Skinner will throw an .850

On the Silovs end, you just hope he gets better there

Reactions: arttk

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
That Forbort-Desharnais pairing was actually a bit better than I expected, though that's not saying much.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Of the bubble guys - Bains definitely did the most to help his cause. A nice goal and a nice assist, some great battles that forced turnovers, and used his wheels to good effect.

As I said before, thought Aman looked better then Raty tonight, thought Raty had the better camp.

Forbort really is uniquely good at the PK while being a dizzying array of different things in other situations. Nice of him to step in for Sherwood when Nurse went Full Nurse.

Sherwood is going to be a fan favourite. As someone who was advocating for us to sign him before free agency opened, and has been a big fan, this is good stuff.

Silovs with another strong game in net. Not having Demko to start sucks, but hopefully Silovs and Lankinen can hold the fort.

Liked the Petey/Debrusk/Sprong line quietly having a multi point night. I feel like this line is going to pop off.

Bring on the regular season.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Real sloppy - team will need to be way better than this. So many turnovers right in the slot. Some of the poorest passing coming out of the their end we've seen all pre-seasons (kids might have looked better). Got to see the importance of Garland. Absolute glue player.

Good

Silovs - major reason they won - terrific. Will start season I believe.

Sherwood - best on the forecheck and good puck movment.

Sprong - probably created as much offense as anyone in this game

Soucy - not perfect but made some important and game changing plays in both ends. Him and Myers were effective.

Hughes - never plays a bad game. Maybe not his best but still a cut above most anyone else

Hoglander - worked the boards well and had some good set ups

Not Good

Raty - looked lead-footed and terrible coverage on the only goal against. If Suter is ready then it's back to Abby for Rary.

Forbert - actually a little better but still far from good. Looks like he may provide a little muscle at least

Desharnais - got beaten wide too much and not clearing the front of his net. Passing coming out of his end (a strength of the team last year) was also poor. Needs a nastier mean streak.

Heinen - did really nothing all game. Sort of body skating around

Miller - one of the worst games he's played in Vancouver. Passing was very poor on the PP and in his end. Play he made at the end of the second was unbelieveably bad. Few seconds left so he throws the puck in the front of the net. One of the many forcing Silovs to make huge saves.

Others

Bains - gives what he's got and actually has some talent around the net. But like Raty he has to work so hard to stay in the the play and be decent in transition. Character and hustle off the charts but can't skate well enough in the end to end action. Should not start the season here. Pity is that despite talk about how development on the farm is good, there are just not players moving up from minor league level that help the team in any meaningful way.

DeBrusk - like most of the pre-season, he showed little. Like Bains a goal and an assist but also like Heinen where you had to search for him in the play. There seemed a little chemistry in the Pettersson line but most of that was due to Sprong. Others weren't doing enough with the service they were getting.

Boeser - one of the games were you wonder how much the Canucks should pay him. Not bad but you wonder is he is premier player. Pre-season so that needs to be factored in. LIke others, tough game with the man advantage.

Can see the McDavid influence on the OIlers. Grab the stick and then pretend the other player is hooking or holding you. Oilers got away with a lot of that in this game per usual. Frustrating but you know he is going to get the calls.

Luckily the PK was very good. PP on the other hand was a real mess.

Team has some work to do but so do the Oilers. Said to be prohibitive Cup favorites but they have some huge holes on their back end. In fact, the chances for many teams winning the Cup this season seem now wide open.
Appreciate the work but it’s preseason

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Sprong defending with extra attacker has to be a preseason thing right
That is some intensive Tocchet/Mr Miyagi shit going on.

What do you see Sprong-son? Opposition net is no more your goal! Defend your net is now only goal. Fight with honour!

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
That is some intensive Tocchet/Mr Miyagi shit going on.

What do you see Sprong-son? Opposition net is no more your goal! Defend your net is now only goal. Fight with honour!

If the NHL culture has been any indication, honor is an acceptable sacrifice if doing so means increasing the chance for Lord Stanley.

The league has been doing its best impression of Mr. Burns' business advice for quite some time now: I'll keep it short and sweet. Family, religion, friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. When opportunity knocks, you don't want to be driving to a maternity hospital or sitting in some phony baloney church. Or synagogue.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Win or lose in the pre-season, you can basically 'throw-out' the result.

About the only real positives in this game, other than the 4-1 win, is that the PK is looking strong to start the season. And Silovs looks totally dialed in. Obviously he won't be as good as Demko in his prime. But he's serviceable enough for the Canucks to win in front of him.

Tonight's game between two teams who can't wait for the regular season to start. Obviously Bains helped himself tonight. I know some posters are less than enthralled with him......but the reality he's improved every year he's been in pro hockey. And looks to have taken another step this off-season.

But once Joshua and Suter are back--it's hard to see where he fits. But I can see him getting five games or so to start the season. He's going to have keep impressing in order to stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad