Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It doesn't matter if Josh Brown bought a house in Edmonton. That camp should have bought him a ticket straight to the farm.

That doesn't mean that there isn't a spot available for him later if he manages to find his game in Bakersfield. But there are most definitely seven other defensemen who came to camp and showed better.

Last edited:

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
It doesn't matter if Josh Brown if bought a house in Edmonton. That camp should have bought him a ticket straight to the farm.

That doesn't mean that there isn't a spot available for him later if he manages to find his game in Bakersfield. But there are most definitely seven other defensemen who came to camp and showed better.
They're already using the "good in the locket room" excuse and he hasn't even played one nhl game

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Watching that Amazon series clip of McDavid going off on the rest of the team is something else. Whenever I see people here tsk tsk'ing others for being critical of the team's play or being generally condescending about the critiques I can't help but think of this incarnation of McDavid and think... yeah, no, f*** you.

That's the appointed leader trying to hold others to account. This team still has issues with a sense of entitlement, and I'm less than enthused about the season start seeing how they've generally been deflated and uninspired right up to the end of preseason here. Now even lickspittle Stauffer is heavily criticizing Brown's play and intimating what the rest of us fans have been seeing -- the defence is a serious source of concern, still. Don't know where they are going to turn now to try and find a top 4 D. wire waiver castoffs are not a solution. Management still giving off shades of buffoonery even with all the turnover.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If the Oil plan on waiving Raphael Lavoie I hope they do it soon and he gets claimed so we move to the front of the queue and can claim a defenseman. If the Oil do lose Lavoie to waivers and then they fail to claim a defenseman I'll lose my shit.

The Oilers desperation for a playable NHL defenseman might force Lavoie onto waivers and accommodate a spot for Noah Philp on the opening day roster.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If the Oil plan on waiving Raphael Lavoie I hope they do it soon and he gets claimed so we move to the front of the queue and can claim a defenseman. If the Oil do lose Lavoie to waivers and then they fail to claim a defenseman I'll lose my shit.

The Oilers desperation for a playable NHL defenseman might force Lavoie onto waivers and accommodate a spot for Noah Philp on the opening day roster.
That isn't how waivers work.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Shattenkirk and Schultz still haven't signed anywhere. These two must be good enough to be playing, right? Imo they are waiting for the right spot

I could see our team wanting to try our own guys as much as possible before signing anyone like those two, but to me it's looking like we bite the bullet and sign someone

Reactions: McDoused

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You don't jump to the head of the queue if a player you waive gets claimed? What are you talking about? Explain how waivers work.
He gets claimed by a team and he stays in the NHL there. If he gets sent to their farm, he goes back on waivers and if he clears them, the original team has the option to re-claim and immediately send to minors.

The waiver order is set strictly on last season's final standings. Regardless of how many claims are made.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
He gets claimed by a team and he stays in the NHL there. If he gets sent to their farm, he goes back on waivers and if he clears them, the original team has the option to re-claim and immediately send to minors.

The waiver order is set strictly on last season's final standings. Regardless of how many claims are made.
The first part is irrelevant. Everybody f***ing knows that.

If a team loses a player to waivers doesn't the team losing the player move up the list of teams that can put in claims on players who are waived? Doesn't the order of the list change?

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Josh Brown should be played into the ground in the pre-season so the Oilers see what they have when the games don't matter. If he sucks, send him to the AHL and he's off the cap because he makes less than the threshold. Nobody will claim him with the 3 years term.

Run with Dermott, Emberson, and Stecher while exploring a trade for a RD.

Pretty much every competitive team had to make tough salary decisions this summer. Look at the Panthers' defense and Vegas' wingers situation.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Since we have to adhere to the rules as a non-golden child, are Cale Fleury or Nick Blankenburg worth a look on waivers? I seem to remember Blankenburg having really good fancy stats in Columbus and Fleury has two stellar AHL years under his belt and is just 25.
I mentioned Cale Fleury as a decent target last week. He’s nothing fancy obviously, but he showed well in the game against Seattle imo. Only makes 800K on the second year of a two year deal. We certainly have other bodies that could be waived in order to give him a look at least.

Morpheus

I am bot
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Bot’s Motel
What? The order stays stagnant all year? Are you a bot?
I am a bot

If a player is placed on waivers prior to Nov. 1, the waiver order is determined by the reverse standings order from the previous season. This means the team in last place gets the first chance to place a claim on a player.

If the player is placed on waivers after Nov. 1, then the claim order goes by the current season’s standings.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
What? The order stays stagnant all year? Are you a bot?
Just admit you dont know what you’re talking about.

I don’t know for sure but I believe how it works is that it’s based off last seasons standings to start the year. If you get a player claimed you don’t go to the front of the line, how would that work if multiple teams are having players claimed?

If you have a player claimed you have first dibs to take him back if the team that claimed him tries to waive him again and at that point you can waive him to minors I believe.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I am a bot

If a player is placed on waivers prior to Nov. 1, the waiver order is determined by the reverse standings order from the previous season. This means the team in last place gets the first chance to place a claim on a player.

If the player is placed on waivers after Nov. 1, then the claim order goes by the current season’s standings.
If the player is placed on waivers after Nov. 1, then the claim order goes by the current season's standings.

The first thing that comes up in a search... beat me to the punch by ten seconds.

Reactions: Morpheus

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Nope. Not a bot. Just telling you what the rule is.
gotcha...

The Oilers defense kind of stinks regardless of the waiver wire order or the bot algorithm utilized.

Emberson isn't the chosen one after all. He's a number 6 at best. Things look better if he's the number 7.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Bob did hint today that what they'd ideally like is a top 4 RHD with little term (not Rasmus Andersson) and said there are 3 or 4 in the NHL who are ready to move on from their teams.

He said this during rookie camp as well. I wonder if we do have our eyes set on someone if all else failed at camp (like right now)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They signed him to a three year deal. They aren't gonna eat crow on this guy for some time.
The term doesn't matter, he could play in the AHL for the next 3 years and keep the caphit buried.

With that said, it seemed like an odd signing at the time as if they were panicking after they knew Vinny was moving on. They could have easily just waited it out to sign a guy like Brown, hell even right now they could have just signed a guy like that to a PTO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad