Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Do we know why Philip took a year off?
Personal reasons. I think the media knows, but are respecting his privacy.

I remember Stauffer and others saying something like, "what he went through would be hard for anyone to deal with."

So maybe he'll be comfortable talking about publicly one day, but for now it's good to see him back smiling and playing well.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Not who you asked, but at this point not only does Philp have a shot at 4C, but I'd argue he's the favourite to win it. Great preseason from him so far.

I'm curious to see how they handle Philp. Even though he's had a great camp, Ryan's also been strong in his own right. Hamblin also hasn't been bad.

Imo the best approach is sending him down and giving him big minutes in Bakersfield for 6 weeks or so to get his legs back to withstand the grind of the entire season. Limited minutes on the 4th line or in the PB don't help with that.

In any case, he's done an outstanding job making me forget about McLeod and I'm nowhere as concerned about an injury to Henrique sinking the bottom 6.

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm curious to see how they handle Philp. Even though he's had a great camp, Ryan's also been strong in his own right. Hamblin also hasn't been bad.

Imo the best approach is sending him down and giving him big minutes in Bakersfield for 6 weeks or so to get his legs back to withstand the grind of the entire season. Limited minutes on the 4th line or in the PB don't help with that.

In any case, he's done an outstanding job making me forget about McLeod and I'm nowhere as concerned about an injury to Henrique sinking the bottom 6.
This is a perfectly fair take. As far as my own opinion is concerned, what I would like to see is Perry sent down, and a lineup that looks like this:

Nuge-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Lavoie/Podkolzin-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Philp-Ryan/Lavoie

with one of Ryan/Lavoie/Pod being the 13F. With that said, I really can't see them sending Perry down, so I think your scenario makes sense, with Philp getting essentially a conditioning sting in the AHL so we don't lose Lavoie on waivers. Not much point in sending Ryan down, we agree on that.

Edit: Forgot to address Hamblin. I really like the player and think there might be a good 4C there (I liked him last season as well) but I'm not sure he'll get that opportunity tbh.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

I’d send him down and centering the top line in Bakersfield, with savoie on his wing

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
This is a perfectly fair take. As far as my own opinion is concerned, what I would like to see is Perry sent down, and a lineup that looks like this:

Nuge-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Lavoie/Podkolzin-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Philp-Ryan/Lavoie

with one of Ryan/Lavoie/Pod being the 13F. With that said, I really can't see them sending Perry down, so I think your scenario makes sense, with Philp getting essentially a conditioning sting in the AHL so we don't lose Lavoie on waivers. Not much point in sending Ryan down, we agree on that.

Edit: Forgot to address Hamblin. I really like the player and think there might be a good 4C there (I liked him last season as well) but I'm not sure he'll get that opportunity tbh.
Hamblin and Philp are waiver exempt. Above you forgot that Kane is taking a roster spot, he is on IR, not LTIR.

Understand Oilers like Perry's leadership but his roster spot is putting us into a bind. If at any point Oilers want to call up Savoie then he too needs to be on the opening roster so that his bonuses do not count if he were to get called up.

So many moving pieces. There is no way to not expose Lavoie unless you expose Ryan or Perry or start the season with Kane on LTIR. I too would like Perry sent down but it probably won't happen, if it does you can fit Lavoie, if you put Kane on LTIR after the season starts (to accrue cap) then you can have Philp on the team.

Another solution is to start the season with only 6 D. Risky but then you can have 14 forwards and still start the season with 900k ish cap space.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
No room at the Inn I guess? He looked better than I expected TBH.

I don't like it. This team needs depth and especially experienced depth that can contribute in a variety of roles. This group played 100+ games last year and they'll need to do it again to win a Cup. That's a lot of hockey, which means a lot of injuries, load management, and line matching to account for. Perry shouldn't be a regular everyday guy and we're not sure Podkolzin or Lavoie are there yet, so why not hedge your bets with a proven top nine winger?

I think this bites us come deadline time and we're forced to pony up a pick for a similar type of player from our rapidly dwindling stockpile of them. This is the first real decision of the Bowman/Jackson era I don't love and if this goes hand in hand with no real changes on the right side of our D to enter the year, that's two misses for a would-be contender.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't like it. This team needs depth and especially experienced depth that can contribute in a variety of roles. This group played 100+ games last year and they'll need to do it again to win a Cup. That's a lot of hockey, which means a lot of injuries, load management, and line matching to account for. Perry shouldn't be a regular everyday guy and we're not sure Podkolzin or Lavoie are there yet, so why not hedge your bets with a proven top nine winger?

I think this bites us come deadline time and we're forced to pony up a pick for a similar type of player from our rapidly dwindling stockpile of them. This is the first real decision of the Bowman/Jackson era I don't love and if this goes hand in hand with no real changes on the right side of our D to enter the year, that's two misses for a would-be contender.
Yeah, okay.

• Haha
Reactions: VeteranPresence

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hamblin and Philp are waiver exempt. Above you forgot that Kane is taking a roster spot, he is on IR, not LTIR.

Understand Oilers like Perry's leadership but his roster spot is putting us into a bind. If at any point Oilers want to call up Savoie then he too needs to be on the opening roster so that his bonuses do not count if he were to get called up.

So many moving pieces. There is no way to not expose Lavoie unless you expose Ryan or Perry or start the season with Kane on LTIR. I too would like Perry sent down but it probably won't happen, if it does you can fit Lavoie, if you put Kane on LTIR after the season starts (to accrue cap) then you can have Philp on the team.

Another solution is to start the season with only 6 D. Risky but then you can have 14 forwards and still start the season with 900k ish cap space.
It feels like we are picking between Philp and Lavoie as an extra forward. I'd think the smarter pick is Philp as an right shot center who seems to be good at faceoffs. The bottom six is about versatility

But there is something appealing about having Lavoie, especially with him as a natural fill-in player for Perry as RWs. Lavoie replaces the size and shooting ability and I just love the idea of Perry mentoring Lavoie.

Thomas Tatar

Perry signing becomes even more confusing. He is taking up a roster spot blocking other players. If you lose Lavoie on waivers because you wanted to keep a 40 year old Perry- it will a monumentally poor mismanagement of assets
I am also trying to rationalize it. Like obviously he is a voice in the room. And I think playing him with young guys is great from a mentoring perspective. But why so much money? I’m still reeling over losing Holloway, some of Perry’s money could have went to him.

I watched a bunch of Oil Drop episodesu of the playoffs (it was hard to watch the Florida series), and Holloway was a central interview figure. He meant a lot to those guys and he gelled so well and he scored in big moments when we needed a goal.

Sadly, we will regret losing him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Perry signing becomes even more confusing. He is taking up a roster spot blocking other players. If you lose Lavoie on waivers because you wanted to keep a 40 year old Perry- it will a monumentally poor mismanagement of assets
Imo it makes sense if you view him as like a player-coach and mentor, and a guy who doesn't block a young player because he's old enough that he understands that he isn't playing a full schedule. If you have a prospect that is a bit raw still, then having them play the full 82 could be bad too.

I'm sure we also signed that with the understanding that he might be sent down and called up a couple of times even

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I am guessing the Perry resigning is based on two things:
1) the team wanted as many guys back as possible
2) the leadership core wants him back

I just hope Jackson (and Bowman) have had some conversations with him if he’s not good enough to make it. Hopefully they didn’t guarantee him a spot.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

1727719398658.gif

• Haha
Reactions: McDoused

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I am guessing the Perry resigning is based on two things:
1) the team wanted as many guys back as possible
2) the leadership core wants him back

I just hope Jackson (and Bowman) have had some conversations with him if he’s not good enough to make it. Hopefully they didn’t guarantee him a spot.

One thing that shouldn't be discounted is that in the McDavid era every single time we had a "glue" player that was more or less a dressing room mascot, the team has gone backwards after losing said player.

It makes no sense, and I still am not sure the validity of it, but the results are results. Hendricks and Gagner (the first go around) were cited as reasons the team was flat the next year. Maybe the calculus was that they didn't want that to happen again with the possibility of both Perry and Gagner moving on.

Ridiculous if true, but a possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad