Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

Expecting a minimum of five to six months.

That's the worst timeline of all because it's so close to the end of the season that the temptation to use the cap space on a dman but unless Kane and the doctors are willing to commit to insurance fraud no GM in his right mind would take the risk. If they do a trade especially this far out, the league would not be happy.

They should have pushed his surgery until end of Oct, it clearly flaunts the rules and is pretty shady but would have been huge for shaping the roster early, which is better than at the TDL.

Assuming they can't do nothing with LTIR, what players could you guys dump from the offense to clear cap if a deal for a dman comes up before enough cap is accrued?

I mean you would still score a ton without one of Skinner or Ardvidson, do you think if the defense is playing really bad that moving a guy you just signed to fill a need elsewhere would be considered?

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
That's the worst timeline of all because it's so close to the end of the season that the temptation to use the cap space on a dman but unless Kane and the doctors are willing to commit to insurance fraud no GM in his right mind would take the risk. If they do a trade especially this far out, the league would not be happy.

They should have pushed his surgery until end of Oct, it clearly flaunts the rules and is pretty shady but would have been huge for shaping the roster early, which is better than at the TDL.

Assuming they can't do nothing with LTIR, what players could you guys dump from the offense to clear cap if a deal for a dman comes up before enough cap is accrued?

I mean you would still score a ton without one of Skinner or Ardvidson, do you think if the defense is playing really bad that moving a guy you just signed to fill a need elsewhere would be considered?
I mean it's minimum 5-6 months recovery . I'm sure we can fit him in for 1 game at the end like Vegas did with stone or something along those lines.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
They’re giving themselves as many options as possible. Who knows what’s going to happen between now and when he’s ready to come back, they could have another ltir candidate, they could accrue enough cap to upgrade and bring him back before playoffs. They also have the option to send him to Bako for a conditioning stint, get him some game action if he has to stay on ltir until playoffs.
The thing is tho if he's healthy enough to play with two weeks left you have to activate him and the league has already said they will be playing close attention.

I also don't think you can just send him on a conditioning stint that conviently lasts until the seasons over. They would make it so his stint would end before the seasons over.

With Stone last season Vegas either got extremely lucky with the timing, and we're able to prove he wasn't ready or maybe he only came back because it was the playoffs, or they committed fraud lol. But the league wasn't happy regardless.

Honestly tho aside from Anderson or some Hronek type situation where he wasn't on the market pops up, who available is even worth the headache? Might as well accrue space and make the best trade you can in what looks like a depressing group of rentals.

• Haha
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I mean it's minimum 5-6 months recovery . I'm sure we can fit him in for 1 game at the end like Vegas did with stone or something along those lines.
Fair enough. Especially if a guy like Rasmus is on the table but it's still a risk especially if Kane really wants to return and recovery goes well but ya it's gotta be tempting.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The thing is tho if he's healthy enough to play with two weeks left you have to activate him and the league has already said they will be playing close attention.

I also don't think you can just send him on a conditioning stint that conviently lasts until the seasons over. They would make it so his stint would end before the seasons over.

With Stone last season Vegas either got extremely lucky with the timing, and we're able to prove he wasn't ready or maybe he only came back because it was the playoffs, or they committed fraud lol. But the league wasn't happy regardless.

Honestly tho aside from Anderson or some Hronek type situation where he wasn't on the market pops up, who available is even worth the headache? Might as well accrue space and make the best trade you can in what looks like a depressing group of rentals.

They're not going to say right now that his time for return lines up exactly with the end of the regular season, lol.

What they're saying now (5-6 months MINIMUM) is basically exactly what you would say if you're planning on basically LTIRing the guy for the entire season.

They will drop it around January or so that that rehab will require an extra month.

To be honest it's gonna be tight, players with adductor surgery (single adductor, let alone double adductor + abdominal surgery + hernia surgery) end up missing the entire season. Francouz basically retired after adductor surgery.

There are options like Chychrun or Zub or who knows what else would be available. Even a TJ Brodie, I got time for a player like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

TB12

Apr 5, 2015

You have so many bad takes that are just full of assumptions. Maybe you keep your opinions to your own board, Oiler hater.

LOL at "Vegas got lucky with Stone's timing". If you think that was luck I have some ocean front property in Vegas to sell you. "Luck", my ass.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You have so many bad takes that are just full of assumptions. Maybe you keep your opinions to your own board, Oiler hater.

LOL at "Vegas got lucky with Stone's timing". If you think that was luck I have some ocean front property in Vegas to sell you. "Luck", my ass.
Watch the Oilers get similarily "lucky" this year.

Abdominal surgery alone can take up to 2 years to regain full strength in, lol, there's a lot of leeway they can use to say "player isn't 100% yet".

I'll be honest even if Kane is back for the playoffs, I wouldn't be expecting like a star player. The amount of surgery he's having is enormous, honestly his best career prognosis is to make sure he is 110% before coming back because if he comes back and immediately reinjures himself, that's probably curtains for his career.

He'll be "guy looking for a PTO" at someone's training camp in 2 years if this recovery doesn't go well for him. Rushing back to reinjure yourself isn't in his best interest.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Without Kane our forwards group doesn't look all that deep.
Our 4th line is now our 3rd line.
Podkolzin, Ryan, Perry not much of a 4th line.
we could use a gritty waivers pickup at start of the season
Our 3rd line from the end of last season is now...our 3rd line, that didn't change although I can understand some skepticism of Janmark and the first half of last season Connor Brown being more like 4th liners although I think the Brown we saw in the second half and the playoffs is more representative of the player he is now that he fully recovered from injury.

I think Podkolzin might surprise. There's a player there, a fresh start might have very well been the elixir he needed to get his career on track.
I wouldn't be surprised if he elevates to the 3rd line at some point eventually and Janmark plays in his more proper 4th line role.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Actually no that's not how it works. He just has to be not 100% and we will be okay. It's not really hard to say a guy isn't 100% healthy and not play regular season, but be play in the playoffs. Guys often play at less than 100% all the time in the playoffs because they are willing to risk injury when the games matter.

But I'm really not going to concern myself with it because who the hell knows when a timeline of 5-6 months is given in professional sports. Could heal quickly and be 4 months, could go poorly and be 7 months.

Our 3rd line from the end of last season is now...our 3rd line, that didn't change although I can understand some skepticism of Janmark and the first half of last season Connor Brown being more like 4th liners although I think the Brown we saw in the second half and the playoffs is more representative of the player he is now that he fully recovered from injury.

I think Podkolzin might surprise. There's a player there, a fresh start might have very well been the elixir he needed to get his career on track.
I wouldn't be surprised if he elevates to the 3rd line at some point eventually and Janmark plays in his more proper 4th line role.
Sounds like the key for Pod is to simplify things. He's talked about how he's over thought things in the past only for the play to have gone on without him.

Now the problem is going to be if he stops thinking and reacts in a bad way that ends up being just as bad has thinking too much.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Without Kane our forwards group doesn't look all that deep.
Our 4th line is now our 3rd line.
Podkolzin, Ryan, Perry not much of a 4th line.
we could use a gritty waivers pickup at start of the season
I’m gonna go against the mob and agree with you. Although I actually love the top 3 lines. But for months now I’ve been thinking the 4th line might be shit.

I just feel like both Ryan and Perry could fall off a cliff hard.

I want a really safe 4C with some jam. If Ryan and Perry need to be scratched I’d actually be ok with Podkolzin - 4C - Lavoie. A younger 4th line with some size and a real desire to establish themselves in this league.

Right now it’s Ryan at 4C I guess, maybe Pederson? Maybe im wrong but that could be improved upon without spending much.. It’s possible they don’t want too many contracts and are waiting to see how camp goes, maybe there’s guys out there on their radar as backup plans.

Any of our top 3 Cs goes down and we’ll suddenly be screaming for more NHL quality centers.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
One could almost say the same thing! :sarcasm:
giphy.gif

Reactions: PULSATING and North

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I mean you could just stay on the Nucks board, do you think that's a possibility or is your obsession with the Oilers just too much to keep you away?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Why do you think Kane and the Oilers chose to announce that he would be having surgery on the first day of training camp instead of earlier the off season?

They’re timing his recovery to the end of the season, and given that he’s a player in his mid 30’s who will be returning from some extensive surgical repairs, it’s not unreasonable to think it could take him awhile to be back at 100%. We don’t even know if he’ll be ready for the beginning of playoffs, it’s very possible he could be out past the end of the regular season.

If the Oilers do game the system though I look forward to you crying about it. Until that happens though why don’t you stop worrying about who’s injured on the Oilers and start worrying about your perma injured goalie, at least you’ve got the same built in excuse for when your team loses to the Oilers again.

Reactions: nabob

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That is the most toxic fanbase in the league by far. Every chance they get on X they are just up in Oilers business non stop. It's wild.

When they lose they are incredibly obsessive, vindictive, and don't forget.

They are still deeply obsessed with the Bruins and Brad Marchand almost 15 years since they lost to them in the Final. Anyone here still have a complex about the Hurricanes? Actually going a step further, does anyone here even have a complex about the Panthers despite losing to them three months ago?

It's ridiculous behaviour.

Ad

Upcoming events

• AZ Alkmaar vs IF Elfsborg
    AZ Alkmaar vs IF Elfsborg
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,065.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bodø/Glimt vs FC Porto
    Bodø/Glimt vs FC Porto
    Wagers: 5