Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Stone suffered the lacerated spleen at the end of February. He didn’t miss an entire season with it. He missed 2 months. The precedent has not been set where an injury with a 2-3 month recovery lasts an entire season.

If the Oilers try and game the system they better make sure they are doing a good job of it. Because the league will gladly bring the hammer down on Edmonton when they looked the other way for league darling teams.

ADCA6C0B-DAC8-400B-BC65-178BB3FC419B.gif

“LaCeRaTeD sPlEeN”

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Hard to know what the timeline is weird. Kind of a weird time to bring it up though. But never really can tell with Stauffer.

From years of reading his "codes", it sounds like management are committed to bringing in an established RD and are probably being aggressive about it. The "at some point" indicates to me that the team that currently has the coveted player(s) may have agreed on a deal in principal but wants to wait further into the season to see what eventuates. It's bad optics for the other team's fanbase and lockerroom to "sell" before the season starts even if they aren't serious contenders. Imagine if we had traded Ales Hemsky a few weeks before the start of one of the bad years.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Because it creates excitement today, for something that many would consider likely to happen before or at the TDL? “At some point” is super vague.
Hmmm I don't think so. I think something is up in the air. I remember what Seravalli said 2-3 weeks back. "Oilers may not even wait until training camp to make a move" on the Kevin Karius Show

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I feel like they would have been prioritizing LD more if the RD add was imminent.

They 100% have to move Kulak to fit a RD in salary wise and having an injured Nurse and Dermott only on a PTO makes that seem unlikely to me.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I feel like they would have been prioritizing LD more if the RD add was imminent.

They 100% have to move Kulak to fit a RD in salary wise and having an injured Nurse and Dermott only on a PTO makes that seem unlikely to me.

I don’t think Nurse is really hurt much if he’s skating. He probably just isn’t playing near the end of preseason since we have 8 games for some reason.

Guess we will see.

Reactions: McDoused

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don’t think Nurse is really hurt much if he’s skating. He probably just isn’t playing near the end of preseason since we have 8 games for some reason.

Guess we will see.
It's always hard to really judge what an injury report means if the games are meaningless. It seems likely that Nurse is good enough to play but there could be some risk of reaggrevating the injury and he could spend the preseason doing extra rehab and maybe muscle building and catching up to any lost training in general

I'd assume he was injured all through the last rounds of the playoffs so it was always playable

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

It's been confirmed on Oilers Now that Nurse will be starting the season healthy. He will just start camp a little bit later

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I think an argument could be made the Oilers win the cup if they have home ice advantage over Florida in the finals. 2-1 at home in that series, 1-3 on the road.
Disagree.

I don't think you can ever make an argument like that, for any team.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
... err ... cryptic ... really?

Where else would the management and head coach be? All of Jackson, Knoblauch and Bowman have been in the organization just over a year at the longest and a month at the shortest. Makes sense they would want and need direct eyes on the future hope of the organization whether a prospective NHL roster option Savoie or recent 1st round pick move up O'Reilly or potential future team depth or move-out options in deals. Know your organization first and foremost with a largely new management and head coach.

There's no secret the Oilers right defense is a huge question mark. Why it's being speculated they might PTO or sign a veteran free agent to fill the obvious roster hole on a deep playoff aspirational team. They should and no doubt are exploring all available means to address this roster deficiency potentially in the short-term or by trade deadline means.

Sometimes the obvious is just well obvious.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Disagree.

I don't think you can ever make an argument like that, for any team.
The Oilers were the 2nd best home team in the NHL last season. They were a slightly above average road team. I don’t think the Oilers drop two straight at home against Florida to start that series and from there who knows.

I mean it’s all just speculation at a certain point. What can’t be denied is the Oilers were a much better home team than they were a road team. It would benefit them to have that advantage throughout the playoffs.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
The Oilers were the 2nd best home team in the NHL last season. They were a slightly above average road team. I don’t think the Oilers drop two straight at home against Florida to start that series and from there who knows.

I mean it’s all just speculation at a certain point. What can’t be denied is the Oilers were a much better home team than they were a road team. It would benefit them to have that advantage throughout the playoffs.

I'm not sure how the past would have been different, but our playoff home record was 8-4 and our away record was 7-6, so hopefully they can get home ice advantage for this year's playoffs. Every small advantage adds up.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I was just watching Dylan Holloway highlights and noticed something interesting. Holloway only scored 6 goals last regular season. The goals were as follows:

1. Holloway scores to put the Oilers up 4-0 over Seattle. The puck bounces off the end board and on his stick in front of the net.
2. Holloway scores to put the Oilers up 4-1 over Columbus. Holloway stuffs away the rebound while he's alone in front.
3. Holloway scores to put the Oilers up 4-3 against Detroit. He puts away a rebound where the goalie has no chance in front of the net.
4. Holloways scores to put the Oilers up 5-1 over Vegas. Goalie leaves the puck behind the net to Holloway and Holloway does a wrap around.
5. Holloway scores to put the Oilers up 4-0 over San Jose. Holloway is alone out front with a sick pass from Henrique.
6. Holloway scores on the powerplay against the Avs when the game was 5-0 avs.

So 5 of his 6 goals were when the game was already out of reach. He only scored 1 meaningful goal during the regular season. Also the types of goals he scored weren't really because of his physical play or speed. It was because he was standing in front of the net.

I think we are all suffering a little recency bias and only remember how well he played against LA and Vancouver in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I was just watching Dylan Holloway highlights and noticed something interesting. Holloway only scored 6 goals last regular season. The goals were as follows:

1. Holloway scores to put the Oilers up 4-0 over Seattle. The puck bounces off the end board and on his stick in front of the net.
2. Holloway scores to put the Oilers up 4-1 over Columbus. Holloway stuffs away the rebound while he's alone in front.
3. Holloway scores to put the Oilers up 4-3 against Detroit. He puts away a rebound where the goalie has no chance in front of the net.
4. Holloways scores to put the Oilers up 5-1 over Vegas. Goalie leaves the puck behind the net to Holloway and Holloway does a wrap around.
5. Holloway scores to put the Oilers up 4-0 over San Jose. Holloway is alone out front with a sick pass from Henrique.
6. Holloway scores on the powerplay against the Avs when the game was 5-0 avs.

So 5 of his 6 goals were when the game was already out of reach. He only scored 1 meaningful goal during the regular season. Also the types of goals he scored weren't really because of his physical play or speed. It was because he was standing in front of the net.

I think we are all suffering a little recency bias and only remember how well he played against LA and Vancouver in the playoffs.
Fair points. But there's other ways to look at his production and trending. On a bad Oilers team to start the season he was 0 points and -3 in October with 12:07 toi (his 2nd highest monthly ice-time). His production 5 points (3 G 2A) came in April on 13:06 toi.

He build on that late season surge and confidence to deliver a solid playoff in which he moved up the line-up with earned time on the second line with still managed ice-time averaging only 11:30. 285.8 of his 287.7 total time on ice were at EV. His 6 playoff goals tied him for 6 on a Cup Finalist veteran team. He outproduced the next youngest roster forward McLeod who is 2 years older. More goals and 1 point back of Foegele who is six years older. In the hardest phase of competition, the youngest roster guy largely kept his head above water.

Lots of ways to skin the cat with numbers. Don't get me wrong, I hope the player doesn't reach his potential now that he made the decision to move on.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

Since 2014 the Oilers are 19-17 at home and 18-20 on the road. It's pretty much a complete wash.

Could they have won if they had home ice? Sure. Could they have lost all the same as they did? Sure. There's a million things we could point to and think "Hey if that went another way they could have won".

Reactions: Duke74

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Since 2014 the Oilers are 19-17 at home and 18-20 on the road. It's pretty much a complete wash.

Could they have won if they had home ice? Sure. Could they have lost all the same as they did? Sure. There's a million things we could point to and think "Hey if that went another way they could have won".
Scoring the first goal probably mattered more then having home ice. Florida was able to play their game since they either had the lead or the game was tied for the entire game.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Fair points. But there's other ways to look at his production and trending. On a bad Oilers team to start the season he was 0 points and -3 in October with 12:07 toi (his 2nd highest monthly ice-time). His production 5 points (3 G 2A) came in April on 13:06 toi.

He build on that late season surge and confidence to deliver a solid playoff in which he moved up the line-up with earned time on the second line with still managed ice-time averaging only 11:30. 285.8 of his 287.7 total time on ice were at EV. His 6 playoff goals tied him for 6 on a Cup Finalist veteran team. He outproduced the next youngest roster forward McLeod who is 2 years older. More goals and 1 point back of Foegele who is six years older. In the hardest phase of competition, the youngest roster guy largely kept his head above water.

Lots of ways to skin the cat with numbers. Don't get me wrong, I hope the player doesn't reach his potential now that he made the decision to move on.

Agreed. My point is that the offer sheets cost us potential production not actual. We don't have to replace the production we lost from last year. Unfortunately we just wont see these players potentially break out on team friendly deals.

So those saying the Oilers will be worse on paper than last year, are probably wrong. We just wont see the progression we were all hoping for.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Agreed. My point is that the offer sheets cost us potential production not actual. We don't have to replace the production we lost from last year. Unfortunately we just wont see these players potentially break out on team friendly deals.

So those saying the Oilers will be worse on paper than last year, are probably wrong. We just wont see the progression we were all hoping for.
There's Podkolzin who could fit that bill. He's only 3 months older than Holloway and their numbers are honestly not all that different. Holloway just has more hype.

Reactions: McDoused and Duke74

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Of course any number of things could have changed the outcome.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

You're using time periods where the team had an inferior line up and a year where there weren't fans in the stands (which is a big reason why this last year was significant).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad