Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I dont understand why youd wait this long to get surgery this couldn't have been something they didn;t know middle of May.
Could be to allow other things a longer time to heal or maybe to try and help us with the cap since he's soldiered through some very bad injuries and could use some rest to come back fresh for the stretch drive an playoffs?

Reactions: Duke74 and McDoused

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I dont understand why youd wait this long to get surgery this couldn't have been something they didn;t know middle of May.

This was touched on over the summer on a podcast. Basically these pro athletes and NHL insurance companies are extremely particular with which surgeons they use and those doctors are typically on their summer holidays as well for these months. Sometimes it takes a while to book in. They aren't just booking into the public hospital for Dr. Joe to operate on them.

How's it work if Nurse is on IR as well for a prolonged period of time?

If you're under the cap limit, you accrue the capspace over the course of the year.

Players on IR still count against the cap. Their status on IR has no cap benefit.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Could be to allow other things a longer time to heal or maybe to try and help us with the cap since he's soldiered through some very bad injuries and could use some rest to come back fresh for the stretch drive an playoffs?
It may very well have been both. Give him longer to heal and then if he is good to go great. If not having him as a potential LTIR allows them the cap flexibility to make changes in season.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
…Sometimes it takes a while to book in. They aren't just booking into the public hospital for Dr. Joe to operate on them.

If your waiting in the public system in Canada for an operation your going to need 1-3 years. Kanes contract would literally expire if he was in our vaunted “free” public system.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Another stupid comment, where the f*** did I say anything about an enforcer? Kane pots 25 goals in a bad year and Nurse hasn’t fought in years but you lose both those guys and this team has no intimidation whatsoever.

Go watch women’s hockey ffs.
Where did I say I think we should lose both guys?

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
If your waiting in the public system in Canada for an operation your going to need 1-3 years. Kanes contract would literally expire if he was in our vaunted “free” public system.

To be fair.

Public health care is taken care of by each province. They get federal funding, but each province decides how to prioritize and add additional funding.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It's a Catch 22. If Spurgeon is healthy then MN will not be looking to trade him unless they are blown away by an offer, and they also wouldn't be willing to retain on his contract unless they are REALLY blown away by the return. I don't see what EDM could offer them in this case.

If Spurgeon declines sigificantly, then MN would be looking to move him, but in that case, why would EDM want him?
Is Minnesota looking to compete anytime soon? Doesn't seem like they have any direction. Even if Spurgeon, he would be a piece for a trade.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's a variety of reasons. Doctor availability as others point out is one, but the other key is if a doctor is telling a guy there is a chance it can heal on its on then some players will avoid the surgery.
Is Minnesota looking to compete anytime soon? Doesn't seem like they have any direction. Even if Spurgeon, he would be a piece for a trade.
Who the hell knows what they are doing. Although this is the last year for their heavy buyout penalties I believe. So 13 or 14mil of extra space next year could change things.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Timmins for Lavoie?
It's an interesting one. I somehow don't think Lavoie is an Oiler much longer. Gonna be tough for him to crack this lineup and I think this time around someone has takes him off waivers, so I'd like to get something for him.

I just don't know if Timmins cracks our roster either though.

Reactions: McDoused

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Didn't Marino have a connection with Chiarelli? IIRC, any chance he had of signing with the Oilers went out the door when Chiarelli was fired.

I believe this is correct. It is one of the dangers of guys going the college route. If they are top end players you probably don't have to worry because they want to sign ASAP. But it's the guys who need four years that are dicey. In that case a US citizenship can add to the risk.

Marino was Boston area kid who ended up at Harvard.

The greater Boston hockey community is very tight/loyal, I wouldn't call it insular, but there are so many nearby opportunities to play, get an education, eventually play pro, or coach, etc... many kids just never even consider the idea that they'd ever need to leave New England.

So it's never surprising to me when you see a college kid find a loophole or leverage point to get them back on the East Coast where they can choose from 10 teams that are a short shuttle flight to home.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Marino was Boston area kid who ended up at Harvard.

The greater Boston hockey community is very tight/loyal, I wouldn't call it insular, but there are so many nearby opportunities to play, get an education, eventually play pro, or coach, etc... many kids just never even consider the idea that they'd ever need to leave New England.

So it's never surprising to me when you see a college kid find a loophole or leverage point to get them back on the East Coast where they can choose from 10 teams that are a short shuttle flight to home.

This website is horrible with all the ads and pop-ups, but it appears Marino had connections to the Penguins management team. His plan was to play out his 4 years at Harvard (where he was comfortable, like you said), become a free agent, and then jump to Pittsburgh, where his family knew Stevens. Oilers traded him for a 6th to receive something instead of nothing.

Any connection to Edmonton beyond his rights was lost when Chiarelli was fired. In retrospect, the author also claims if the Edmonton media made Marino looking to bolt a larger story, the Oilers could have had more leverage.

Last edited:
Reactions: bucks_oil

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
It's an interesting one. I somehow don't think Lavoie is an Oiler much longer. Gonna be tough for him to crack this lineup and I think this time around someone has takes him off waivers, so I'd like to get something for him.

I just don't know if Timmins cracks our roster either though.
Connor TImmins could become a #6. Then, if he doesn't turn out, we always have Stecher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad