Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Agreed. Acquiring a rental at the deadline is much more plausible now that Ceci has been moved. The problem is that there aren't a whole lot of rentals available. If the plan is to acquire someone with term (like Ekholm) means that another contract would have to be moved out.

Unfortunately, only two players fit those criteria- Evander Kane and Brett Kulak. You might be able to unload Kane at the deadline but he still has a 16 no trade list. Letting Kane heal all year just to deal him at the deadline doesn't seem like the plan in place.
No major arguments from me. I'd just add that the rental and even players with term market can be unpredictable. Certain pre-season "playoff teams" will flounder and unexpected RD options on pre-season "lottery" teams will emerge. Oilers management, of course, will be monitoring all of these options closely.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Bud, I keep saying we have no idea who it's going to be. We have no idea who will be available. So I'm calling out the idea that there won't be options out there.

I didn't say Ty Emberson IS the answer. I said he COULD be.

We all have concerns about the hole on the right side beneath a likely Norris Candidate and above a few decent options on the 3rd pair. I'm just more optimistic than you are that it will be addressed
I agree with all you said. I also think Emberson is a wildcard here. All he has to do is do what he has been doing at each level of hockey he has played at to be VERY useful. With how good the Oilers' defensive structure has made some guys look here, he reportedly has a good hockey IQ and can even excel here.

As for the other option acquired, I hope we don't hear about until it happens. The more obvious the player, the more other teams would know and the higher the cost. If every team knew Ekholm was available, there is no way his cost would have been as low as it was.

I say lets go with what we have aside from maybe another PTO and adjust as we go.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Bud, I keep saying we have no idea who it's going to be. We have no idea who will be available. So I'm calling out the idea that there won't be options out there.

I didn't say Ty Emberson IS the answer. I said he COULD be.

We all have concerns about the hole on the right side beneath a likely Norris Candidate and above a few decent options on the 3rd pair. I'm just more optimistic than you are that it will be addressed

I guess I'm just getting myself riled up because we don't think the same way. I'm looking at this as a problem that needs solving.

For me, trying to solve a problem, asking questions, planning and researching who is available is due diligence and isn't considered negative. The Oilers have realistic hurdles that they need to overcome. On the flip side, not having plan isn't optimistic, its negligence.

I would categorize myself as cautiously optimistic. I think there is a solution here, I just don't know what it is. Jackson and Bowman are smarter than I am and have said that they have gone through various scenarios. So obviously they have someone or a group of players in mind that they are targeting, with a plan in place.

If the plan is to see if Emberson can fill that role, that just means we need to make a new plan when that plan fails. Maybe I'm just not that high on Emberson but expecting him to be a top 4 defenseman when he's never proven it, to be unrealistic.

If that fails, we will need to make another plan.

so-you-make-plans-that-fail-failure.gif

@bobbythebrain

So you said this was an 'poor excuse' for his play...yet, he's still having issues until now. Just pointing this out that he CAN improve, so the guy needs his rest.

Nurse when healthy and confident can be a positive player for the team. I think that's why he's so frustrating. He will be +4 one night and the -4 the next game.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
That dipshit wanders over here every once in a while to seethe and fish for reactions, it's pathetic
damn

what did I miss?

How much accrue cap space are we going to get from Nurse and Kane on regular IR? That's gotta be a lot

its only a plus if it happens at the end of the season.

if nurse and Kane are healthy before the end of the season they must come back and cap savings goes bye bye. Itswhy we chose to get rid of Ceci so we can start the season compliant so we can accrue space over the season.if you are in LTIR space you don't accrue space, you just get relief until the players are back

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree with all you said. I also think Emberson is a wildcard here. All he has to do is do what he has been doing at each level of hockey he has played at to be VERY useful. With how good the Oilers' defensive structure has made some guys look here, he reportedly has a good hockey IQ and can even excel here.

As for the other option acquired, I hope we don't hear about until it happens. The more obvious the player, the more other teams would know and the higher the cost. If every team knew Ekholm was available, there is no way his cost would have been as low as it was.

I say lets go with what we have aside from maybe another PTO and adjust as we go.
Every team was aware in December or January that he might potentially be available. It's up to GM's to be making the calls

That and while maybe fans don't know things it would be pretty odd if GM's aren't aware when higher end players are available. I'd go as far as if you are a GM and teams don't know that a key guy like that is available then you should be fired.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I guess I'm just getting myself riled up because we don't think the same way. I'm looking at this as a problem that needs solving.

For me, trying to solve a problem, asking questions, planning and researching who is available is due diligence and isn't considered negative. The Oilers have realistic hurdles that they need to overcome. On the flip side, not having plan isn't optimistic, its negligence.

I would categorize myself as cautiously optimistic. I think there is a solution here, I just don't know what it is. Jackson and Bowman are smarter than I am and have said that they have gone through various scenarios. So obviously they have someone or a group of players in mind that they are targeting, with a plan in place.

If the plan is to see if Emberson can fill that role, that just means we need to make a new plan when that plan fails. Maybe I'm just not that high on Emberson but expecting him to be a top 4 defenseman when he's never proven it, to be unrealistic.

Nurse when healthy and confident can be a positive player for the team. I think that's why he's so frustrating. He will be +4 one night and the -4 the next game.

In the regular season he can be anywhere from a 2m to a 9m dman on any given night.

But I’d argue in the playoffs its like a 1.5m to a 5.0m dman.

But yeah his consistency is so frustrating.

Reactions: McDoused

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

That's how you should always look at the most significant roster hole you have IMO.

This is no more of a hole today than it was in June, though.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
damn

what did I miss?

its only a plus if it happens at the end of the season.

if nurse and Kane are healthy before the end of the season they must come back and cap savings goes bye bye. Itswhy we chose to get rid of Ceci so we can start the season compliant so we can accrue space over the season.if you are in LTIR space you don't accrue space, you just get relief until the players are back
I'm not talking about LTIR. I'm talking about regular IR. If the Oilers put Kane and Nurse on IR, we start accruing cap space near the end of the season and that's where we have the cap space for a 8M player if there's double retention

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

yeah thats fine and all but you are assuming the oilers management doesn't have a plan that the available options today will be the same as the deadline. You are making a lot of assumptions and getting upset over them.

commie

Jul 30, 2005
Heck, Sean Walker would have been free last offseason but now he's unavailable. Who is this year's Walker? Who can potentially become available?

Some teams to watch out for, Ottawa, Seatle, and Buffalo, if they stink the joint coming out of the gates and miss the playoffs again, they may be incline to blow things up.
Zub, Borgen, or Jokijaru may become available, while previously thought as not available.
These are just some examples of what can change during the season.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
yeah thats fine and all but you are assuming the oilers management doesn't have a plan that the available options today will be the same as the deadline. You are making a lot of assumptions and getting upset over them.

He just said Oilers management has a plan lol

He is just discussing stuff on a discussion board

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I'm not talking about LTIR. I'm talking about regular IR. If the Oilers put Kane and Nurse on IR, we start accruing cap space near the end of the season and that's where we have the cap space for a 8M player if there's double retention
isn't the answer still 0?

IR players still count towards the cap no?

He just said Oilers management has a plan lol

He is just discussing stuff on a discussion board
but the plan isn't his and he appears to be getting upset about it.

Reactions: joestevens29

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I literally just said the opposite. The Oilers management have a plan, so what is it?

I'm just going to put myself in a timeout and come back later when fans actually want to discuss what the Oilers might do to fix the RHD problem.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
isn't the answer still 0?

IR players still count towards the cap no?

but the plan isn't his and he appears to be getting upset about it.

Idk man. He’s discussing things on a discussion board about a team hes passionate about. He just wants to see the team succeed. About the same as 90% of people on here. I don’t really see his posts as negative personally.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Some teams to watch out for, Ottawa, Seatle, and Buffalo, if they stink the joint coming out of the gates and miss the playoffs again, they may be incline to blow things up.
Zub, Borgen, or Jokijaru may become available, while previously thought as not available.
These are just some examples of what can change during the season.
Isles, Pitt, CBJ, NSH, PHI, Utah, WSH, NJ, Stl, Minny all teams with either new GM's or if they stink it up could be looking at changes. Not necessarily blow it up, but teams that could be looking to tinker with their rosters.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
@bobbythebrain

So you said this was an 'poor excuse' for his play...yet, he's still having issues until now. Just pointing this out that he CAN improve, so the guy needs his rest.

If you think his needless rims and reverses were a byproduct of an injury, then I highly suggest that next time "Bob" from the CRA calls to tell you that illegal activity has been detected on your social insurance number...you comply with all his questions.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They do which is why we can't acquire players until closer to the deadline once we accrued cap space from Kane and Nurse sitting on IR
This isn't a thing. There is season opening IR that doesn't account towards the cap, but that's for two-way players you plan on sending to the minors.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Being on IR or no IR changes nothing.

Just allows you to call up players.

If they do that, they actually lose cap space

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Every team was aware in December or January that he might potentially be available. It's up to GM's to be making the calls

That and while maybe fans don't know things it would be pretty odd if GM's aren't aware when higher end players are available. I'd go as far as if you are a GM and teams don't know that a key guy like that is available then you should be fired.
I respectfully disagree. There have been occasions in the past of GMS saying they didn't even know a player was available when asked for comments on potential mores for their team. The good GMs are proactive but not all are.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If you think his needless rims and reverses were a byproduct of an injury, then I highly suggest that next time "Bob" from the CRA calls to tell you that illegal activity has been detected on your social insurance number...you comply with all his questions.
You’re aware that physical injuries can also effect your mental game.

Same way players that are fatigued don’t always make the best plays

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The Oilers "plan", if I had to guess, is to go into camp with these guys and see if they can get by with Emberson at 2RD. Ceci is not hard to live up to, but if it's apparent they have a critical problem during/after preseason, they'll be looking to add prior to the season. That's where Schultz/Shattenkirk/the waiver wire stuff could happen.

Then around the deadline, they'll look to turn that cap space they prioritized over Broberg and Holloway to shore it up. Which might come in the form of a big upgrade, a marginal upgrade or an aging vet - depending on what's available and what it costs.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
More of them get traded closer to the deadline and how are the Oilers going to trade for one now or in the summer with minimal cap space? Which RHD were traded this offseason?
What "huge risk" are the Oilers taking? From the team that went to the Finals, most of without Broberg on the roster, they went from Ceci and Desharnais to Emberson and Brown.

It's not the disaster that some are painting it out to be. It's not ideal but they can make due until closer to the deadline and, in fact, I see a little more upside with this group with Emberson having some growth potential that Ceci didn't.
The biggest issue is replacing Broberg long term, that was a hit, but in the short term they're fine.
John Marino was traded for two 2nd round picks at the draft. We could have fit him in at the expense of signing Skinner.

We could have signed a guy like Matt Roy and kept Ryan McLeod instead of signing Skinner+Henrique (plus say signing a guy like Daniel Sprong who signed for less than $1m).

There were options out there to address the backend. The Oilers prioritized the forward group instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad