Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Of course he's going to sign a short term deal...there is no other option. They are going to steal from him for two or three years so Luke can get paid. That's what's happening.

"steal from him" lmao jfc man

how about he should have played better if he wanted to be paid more? he sucked since the playoffs started 18 months ago.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm trying to think of what the better alternative would be. Giving Mercer a big contract now, meaning less money to address to depth issues and potentially a Luke extension down the road? Is that the preferable outcome here?

Thankfully players report tomorrow so we can move on to some new manufactured drama.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think it's a lot more consequential than a couple of hundred thousand....we wouldn't be hours before training camp opens with no deal for couple of hundred thousand.

I think this more about position himself to not get screwed twice... he's getting screwed this time no matter what....but if he has to compete for dollars with Nemec and or Nico in the next ho around he's going to get screwed twice
He screwed himself when he was dogshit all year.

Mercer was our 10th best forward last year. Palat was better, Nico, Jack, Haula, Bratt, Toffoli, McLeod, Lazar, Meier. All were better than Mercer

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm trying to think of what the better alternative would be. Giving Mercer a big contract now, meaning less money to address to depth issues and potentially a Luke extension down the road? Is that the preferable outcome here?

Thankfully players report tomorrow so we can move on to some new manufactured drama.

I can't wait to complain about the line combos in preseason.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

You know the better alternative, everyone knows the better alternative...a better alternative would've been not signing Tatar and paying Mercer ~6x6.

Thankfully Tomorrow? You're assuming he's going to be in camp tomorrow? It's 6:30pm the night before camp and no reports of a deal.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
You know the better alternative, everone knows the better alternative...a better alternative would've been not signing Tatar and paying Mercer ~6x6.

Tomorrow? You're assuming he's going to be in camp tomorrow? It's 6:30 and no reports of a deal.
Mercer 6x6 lmao.

After the season he had? And his lack of leverage?

Wanting to be friends with your players and "do right by them" is how you end up wasting a core like Dubas did because you got bent over and f***ed in negotiations and didn't use your leverage.

Dawson Mercer type assets are the ones you play hardball with. Mercer's value COMES from his cheap contract due to the leverage we have. Other than that he's a fairly replaceable player.

Reactions: Barry Tallackson

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Mercer going to make millions but still being stolen from

1726612777770.png

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
If there was some sort of bargain to be worked out by walking him straight to UFA, I'd do it honestly. Kick the can down the road, our window is now, and still within his range of RFA years. By then the cap will be higher, we will know what the future will hold especially if we get the D boys locked up. It's a win win, if we can't afford to extend him one year from UFA, we wouldn't be able to a year prior for his first big contract buying up UFA years anyways. I'd have to imagine there is money to be saved by saying this is the last contract you will sign until you are a full FA, instead of, shut up for a few years and we will still control you.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If there was some sort of bargain to be worked out by walking him straight to UFA, I'd do it honestly. Kick the can down the road, our window is now, and still within his range of RFA years. By then the cap will be higher, we will know what the future will hold especially if we get the D boys locked up. It's a win win, if we can't afford to extend him one year from UFA, we wouldn't be able to a year prior for his first big contract buying up UFA years anyways. I'd have to imagine there is money to be saved by saying this is the last contract you will sign until you are a full FA, instead of, shut up for a few years and we will still control you.
We don't have the cap space to get him a contract for 6 years. I'm sure Mercer's team would prefer that.

I'd bet the question right now isn't money it's how short of a deal they can get. Dawson's next deal will be arbitration eligible the quicker he can get to that the better... short of a long term deal.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
We don't have the cap space to get him a contract for 6 years. I'm sure Mercer's team would prefer that.

I'd bet the question right now isn't money it's how short of deal they can get. Dawson's next deal will be arbitration eligible the quicker he can get to that the better short of a long term deal.
Thought it was 5 years. And I thought someone posted the term was basically set now they are talking dollars.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Thought it was 5 years. And I thought someone posted the term was basically set now they are talking dollars.
Ive seen a lot of nonsensical reporting where the "insider" states "I'm hearing it's going to be a 2 or 3 year bridge deal"....No shit Sherlock. They don't have the money/space for anything else.

Yeah 5 takes him to 27/UFA but it still doesn't matter they're not getting him for 5 years for less than 5 million that's silly...5 years is around 6.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think it's a lot more consequential than a couple of hundred thousand....we wouldn't be hours before training camp opens with no deal for couple of hundred thousand.

I think this more about position himself to not get screwed twice... he's getting screwed this time no matter what....but if he has to compete for dollars with Nemec and or Nico in the next ho around he's going to get screwed twice
It's almost certainly a few hundred thousand.

The comps for an RFA case like Mercer are pretty concrete. I wrote a post a couple months ago outlining many comparable RFA cases. 0.45-0.6 PPG post-ELC forwards receiving bridge deals mostly come in at a pretty standard range.

A lot of RFA contracts go pretty late. It's the way it is.

The way to position himself to "not get screwed" on his third contract...is to play really well. There's not really anything else to it. If he puts in some strong seasons, he'll have a lot of leverage for a big contract approaching UFA.

Exactly the right approach. Bridge deal straight to UFA, then cut him loose (he's not a "core" player). Keep him as cheap as possible while they are contending, and once he needs a big raise, move on.

It's the ideal situation for the club.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

The comps for an RFA case like Mercer are pretty concrete. I wrote a post a couple months ago outlining many comparable RFA cases. 0.45-0.6 PPG post-ELC forwards receiving bridge deals mostly come in at a pretty standard range.

The way to position himself to "not get screwed" on his third contract...is to play really well. There's not really anything else to it. If he puts in some strong seasons, he'll have a lot of leverage for a big contract approaching UFA.

Exactly the right approach. Bridge deal straight to UFA, then cut him loose (he's not a "core" player). Keep him as cheap as possible while they are contending, and once he needs a big raise, move on.

I bet we eventually hear it's about years not dollars at all. ... maybe not "at all" but more about the term than dollars. It's in Mercers best interest for shorter deal now given the circumstances.

His third deal will have arbitration rights so getting a fair deal will be much more likely.

Right now I'd be looking for 1 or 2 years 3.75. pretty easy deal for everyone.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
You know the better alternative, everyone knows the better alternative...a better alternative would've been not signing Tatar and paying Mercer ~6x6.

Thankfully Tomorrow? You're assuming he's going to be in camp tomorrow? It's 6:30pm the night before camp and no reports of a deal.
I was referring to players reporting so we can talk about them, but please keep beating this dead horse about how Mercer, an RFA with no arbitration rights coming off a down season, is getting f***ed over by mean old Tom Fitzgerald, just so he can save some money to pay that scrub Luke Hughes in a few years. Never in the history of the NHL has a player in Mercer's situation had to sign a bridge deal instead of a long term contract. If I were him I'd immediately demand a trade to a team that won't treat him so unfairly!

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada

Not gonna see him for awhile. Even he signs soon he will have to wait for his visa. Gotta wonder if he makes the trip to prague

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Ive seen a lot of nonsensical reporting where the "insider" states "I'm hearing it's going to be a 2 or 3 year bridge deal"....No shit Sherlock. They don't have the money/space for anything else.

Yeah 5 takes him to 27/UFA but it still doesn't matter they're not getting him for 5 years for less than 5 million that's silly...5 years is around 6.
5x6.

Why are we paying a replaceable guy with no leverage that walking him straight to UFA after a terrible season.

That's Quinton Byfield money, and he CLEARS Mercer.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Short term always made too much sense for Mercer. Give incentive to move to center and pick up his game.

If he becomes a 70pt center he'll get his bag and the fans/team will be happy about it.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024

I disagree Mercer isnt.. or more, cant be a core piece

Core pieces dont have to just be stars - you need core pieces throughout

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Short term always made too much sense for Mercer. Give incentive to move to center and pick up his game.

If he becomes a 70pt center he'll get his bag and the fans/team will be happy about it.
How the f*** is Mercer going to become a point producing center behind Jack and Nico, let alone a 70 point center? Unless Jack moves to wing that's virtually impossible....

Christ, Nico has been in the league 7 years and crossed the 70 point mark once in his career.

Or do you expect a 3C to produce 70 points? :laugh:

Not gonna see him for awhile. Even he signs soon he will have to wait for his visa. Gotta wonder if he makes the trip to prague
I hope that's not the case?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
How the f*** is Mercer going to become a point producing center behind Jack and Nico, let alone a 70 point center? Unless Jack moves to wing that's virtually impossible....

Christ, Nico has been in the league 7 years and crossed the 70 point mark once in his career.

Or do you expect a 3C to produce 70 points? :laugh:
You just said Nico did it in one sentence and then think its laughable to think possible in the next?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You just said Nico did it in one sentence and then think its laughable to think possible in the next?
Huh? I think you misunderstood what I was saying...Nico did it once as a top 2 center for 7 years....How is Dawson going to do that behind Nico and Jack as a center? From the 3 center spot is nonsensical. Stupid to even suggest actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad