Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Time to go get Borgen.
This is an idea I could get behind if he’s available. I wonder what Seattle plan is because looks like they’re almost 1.6M over the cap with a 23 man roster and not a lot of clear options for waiving. Unless they have someone starting on ltir they’ll likely be running a 21 man roster or making a trade.

Problem is we’d be putting ourselves in the same position and would likely have to find a 3rd party to take some of his salary but I could see both teams being open to a Brown Borgen swap if Seattle does need to shed salary.

I also agree with your previous point and think Brown will surprise a lot of people in that #6 spot next to Kulak. I don’t think he’s as bad as the analytics crew makes him out to be and I’m betting there will be a lot of changed opinions and he’s going to endear himself to fans.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Larsson resigning with the Kraken.
fantastic, great player, but the people hoping he would come here again...Glad to put those rumours to rest.

We only have 170k in cap space. In an unrelated question, kinda, does Savoie need to clear waivers to be sent down?
We can still sign them to PTO and see what they have for training camp and cut them if need be.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
So assuming signing McDavid again is a sure thing.. I hope they do it as soon as McDavid is eligible.

Draisaitl signs and you start hearing about players taking Edmonton off their no trade list. Sign McDavid way earlier if you can, it would make free agency easier assuming we have any space.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
So assuming signing McDavid again is a sure thing.. I hope they do it as soon as McDavid is eligible.

Draisaitl signs and you start hearing about players taking Edmonton off their no trade list. Sign McDavid way earlier if you can, it would make free agency easier assuming we have any space.

Ya you’ve got to think a July 1st 2025, noon announcement of McDavid’s 8 year extension is going to up our negotiating power for free agency. Without him signed, there’s that doubt that can creep in for someone debating a contract

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Another RD off the market. Finding one is brutal.

That’s not a bad deal for them but its been a bad offseason for Francis and the Kraken. That team is going to be stuck in mediocrity for awhile. The one fluke year where they made the playoffs I think has set that team back imo. Good for us I guess.

I doubt it's going to get any better come trade deadline. The best RHD on a team that won't be competing for a playoff spot with an expiring contract is, well, probably Cody Ceci.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I also agree with your previous point and think Brown will surprise a lot of people in that #6 spot next to Kulak. I don’t think he’s as bad as the analytics crew makes him out to be and I’m betting there will be a lot of changed opinions and he’s going to endear himself to fans.
Three years ago he was not really a viable 3rd pairing option on Ottawa, one of the worst teams in the league without much at all at RHD. Not sure what has changed in the proceeding two years other than he has gotten older. I'd like to be proven wrong, of course, but not holding my breath.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Ahhhhh
Puckpedia has Hamblin on the non roster players which is probably more accurate

Hamblin's a safe bet to start on the farm, same with Philp; even if those two are my favourites for the 4th line centre role. The main reason is both are waiver-exempt, so having them on the farm maximizes the team's depth.

Though odds are the Oilers will keep one of Lavoie or Pederson up as the 13th forward. The team isn't going to go into the season with only 12 forwards and needing Ryan and Perry to play every game. So that 170k is closer to reality than Puckpedia's 945k.

Where things could get spicy is if they waive one or both of Ryan and Brown, and replace them with Pederson/Lavoie/Hamblin/Philp and Kemp. That would save up to 350k against the cap (bringing them up to a little over half a mil in cap space), without much falloff in on-ice talent.

Personally I think the team keeps Kemp over Brown coming out of camp (no one is claiming a 3 year deal), and Ryan is given a few months before being replaced in December.

Reactions: Reasonable Oil Fan

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Why not Shattenkirk or Schultz? Ugh even Stauffer is thinking its Dermott.

I may vomit
I never understood why someone would get pressed about a PTO? What does it cost us?

If he sucks and we waste one of our 50 player contracts on him sure, but giving a guy a try-out who is connected to all of Knoblauch, McDavid, and Jackson is neither surprising nor outrageous.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Three years ago he was not really a viable 3rd pairing option on Ottawa, one of the worst teams in the league without much at all at RHD. Not sure what has changed in the proceeding two years other than he has gotten older. I'd like to be proven wrong, of course, but not holding my breath.
He had less then 100 NHL games when he was Ottawa, he’s coming up on 300 now so experience for one. Second, both Ottawa and Arizona are terrible teams, Edmonton is a much better team, much better defensively and he would be playing with a consistent partner in Kulak who is a very strong 3rd pairing defender himself.

I don’t think there will be much of a difference between the results he brings vs what Desharnais did in the same role.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Why not Shattenkirk or Schultz? Ugh even Stauffer is thinking its Dermott.

I may vomit

What does a 35 YO Shattenkirk or a 34 YO Schultz bring to the party that Emberson, Stecher, and even Connor Carrick don't? Depth on the right side isn't an issue, it's quality on the 2nd pairing.

I'm not a fan of Dermott as the #7, but down on the farm filling the same role as Carrick? Sure, why not. He gives you a call-up option that has 330 games of NHL experience.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Schultz, Shattenkirk, Dermott, Giordano etc. None of these guys matter imo.

Hopefully Emberson/Stetcher/Brown can get it done till at least the deadline.
Dermott sucks, but do we really need what Shattenkirk or Schultz bring? Giordano is done, its time for him to hang up the skates. Shattenkirk too, but he's not older than Jesus (by pro athlete standards, still younger than me).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This is an idea I could get behind if he’s available. I wonder what Seattle plan is because looks like they’re almost 1.6M over the cap with a 23 man roster and not a lot of clear options for waiving. Unless they have someone starting on ltir they’ll likely be running a 21 man roster or making a trade.

Problem is we’d be putting ourselves in the same position and would likely have to find a 3rd party to take some of his salary but I could see both teams being open to a Brown Borgen swap if Seattle does need to shed salary.

Even if we waive Josh Brown or send him back to Seattle in the deal, we still are over the cap by adding Borgen right now. That's the add we make later this year after the Kraken fall out of playoff contention.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Ya you’ve got to think a July 1st 2025, noon announcement of McDavid’s 8 year extension is going to up our negotiating power for free agency. Without him signed, there’s that doubt that can creep in for someone debating a contract
I wouldn't doubt if the base of Mcdavids next contract is already agreed upon with the final touches being worked on after the playoffs.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Even if we waive Josh Brown or send him back to Seattle in the deal, we still are over the cap by adding Borgen right now. That's the add we make later this year after the Kraken fall out of playoff contention.
I mentioned that in my post and said we’d likely have to find a third party to take a portion of Borgen salary.

I agree that it would be better to make this deal in the new year once we’ve accrued some cap but timing is the problem. The Kraken likely have to make a trade before the season starts or they could probably sneak under by running a 21 man roster which I doubt they want to do for an extended period. So unless they have someone starting on ltir that I’m not aware of they will likely try and move someone before the season starts.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I think the reason we hear about these RH options is that they are players that have previously played up the line up, and there might be more confidence in the vet playing 2nd line minutes than Stecher, Brown, Carrick, Emberton. That puts one of these guys on the 3rd pair which would be more ideal.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
So I have to admit I was only inspired to this from a Steve Dangle tweet that ended up on my timeline, but would Connor Timmins possibly make sense as a trade pickup on the right side? Sounds like they’re signing Haakanpa so they’ll have an overflow of dmen at the NHL level and might be looking to move someone. Timmins seemingly can’t stay healthy but is productive when he is and was a highly regarded prospect coming out of junior at least…..

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I feel like Brown is going to surprise people.

The idiots on Twitter that pretend to know about analytics have people down on him with the "worst player in the NHL" garbage based on simple team analytics like xGF%.

He was their D zone guy. It shouldn't be a surprise that players had worse numbers with him than when they got an offensive push with top6 guys away from him.

I don't have high, high hopes for him, but I agree that he's likely to be better than people think.

I think you're right that this is a case of almost nobody watching him for any amount of time, but they saw a 0% on a chart and determined that he was the worst player in the NHL.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nick Robertson signing for that amount makes Holloway’s deal that much more laughable.
Different players. Kailer Yamamoto still doesn't have a contract and he's proven a lot more offensively at this level than Robertson has.

Holloway plays a quicker, more physical game and could still carve a role as a third line checker. Robertson is a guy that has to score to keep his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad