Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I've never even heard of this Wanner kid before. Drafted 212 overall? Would be cool if he could turn into something eventually.
I've watched him since his last 2 years of Junior. Great kid and great defensively and loves to hit. But, at the same time, he has great hockey IQ and his offensive game has gotten better and better. He has a good first pass too. His skating is very good as well. He fits the mold of the quality defensive dman we are seeing now.

Paul Coffey wanted us to draft him

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Deshairnais #2

From reports he is a better skater than VD, but obviously not as big. Has more offence to his game than VD as well from reports. Not saying he'll be better, just rather that is what is being reported. I've watched exactly zero games of his in my life, so I know nothing about the player other than what I have read.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
From reports he is a better skater than VD, but obviously not as big. Has more offence to his game than VD as well from reports. Not saying he'll be better, just rather that is what is being reported. I've watched exactly zero games of his in my life, so I know nothing about the player other than what I have read.

Just took a look at his stats on hockeydb and was reminded of Broberg's points this last year in the AHL. Man it sucks to lose him. Again, I can't see how you could have matched that contract, but I really do think Broberg is going to become a good top-4 guy for St. Louis.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm a little surprised they haven't inked a single PTO yet. Not so much for the right side, but the left.

I suggested it the other day, and I'm liking the idea of bringing back Niemelainen more and more.

He knows the team and system; and with Vinny and Broberg (plus Ceci) out the door, his size looks a lot more needed that it did just 6 months ago. Plus his physicality would be more than welcome.

Imo that's a bit of a need for the Oil, a 6'5+ mammoth that can manhandle the opposition (and take a regular shift, so not Josh Brown). Even if Vinny lacked a proper physicality shift to shift, that is one element he could bring after the whistle: Grabbing two guys out of a scrum and holding them back.

An engaged Nurse could/should be that guy, but an extra body that can play that role would be nice.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
I've watched him since his last 2 years of Junior. Great kid and great defensively and loves to hit. But, at the same time, he has great hockey IQ and his offensive game has gotten better and better. He has a good first pass too. His skating is very good as well. He fits the mold of the quality defensive dman we are seeing now.

On top of all that, he is tracking quite nicely when compared to another prototypical SAH defensemen, Ryan Graves:

Graves 18/19- 55 GP, 22 pts (QMJHL)
Wanner 18/19- 55 GP, 23 pts (WHL)

Graves 19/20- 0.78 PPG in the Q, +17
Wanner 19/20- +23 and 0.68 PPG in the WHL, which is a harder league to score in historically

Graves 20/21- 0.28 PPG as a rookie in the A
Wanner 20/21- 0.25 PPG as a rookie in the A

Graves needed three more years of AHL time and a trade before he was an NHL regular, so hoping Wanner can get there a bit sooner. A good benchmark will be this season, as Graves had 30 points and led his AHL team in scoring from defensemen in his second pro year.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Wanner is a good example of a guy who had his draft year derailed due to Covid, and ended up under scouted.

17 games at the WHL level, plus 5 more in AAA doesn't give you much chance to make an impression.
Plus were scouts even allowed in buildings for his games that season? Most restrictions didn't loosen until spring 2021 and Moose Jaw didn't make the playoffs.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Lots of posters also don’t seem to understand the veteran number requirement for pre season. And we’ll be doing a split squad so PTO’s are handy for that
The nice thing is the requirement to be a veteran is pretty lax. They've got Hamblin, Caggiula, Carrick and Delia down in Bako that count, for example.

A quick look has them at 15 forwards, 8 defensemen and 3 goalies that are "NHL veterans".

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm a little surprised they haven't inked a single PTO yet. Not so much for the right side, but the left.

I suggested it the other day, and I'm liking the idea of bringing back Niemelainen more and more.

He knows the team and system; and with Vinny and Broberg (plus Ceci) out the door, his size looks a lot more needed that it did just 6 months ago. Plus his physicality would be more than welcome.

Imo that's a bit of a need for the Oil, a 6'5+ mammoth that can manhandle the opposition (and take a regular shift, so not Josh Brown). Even if Vinny lacked a proper physicality shift to shift, that is one element he could bring after the whistle: Grabbing two guys out of a scrum and holding them back.

An engaged Nurse could/should be that guy, but an extra body that can play that role would be nice.
I feel like Brown is going to surprise people.

The idiots on Twitter that pretend to know about analytics have people down on him with the "worst player in the NHL" garbage based on simple team analytics like xGF%.

He was their D zone guy. It shouldn't be a surprise that players had worse numbers with him than when they got an offensive push with top6 guys away from him.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I don't really see the point of getting so worked up about any PTO ... it's a try out.

If the player sucks as you want to claim, it'll be evident in pre-season and they'll be cut, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If you can't play and contribute at this level it's not like you can some how hide it.

Exactly. Guys like Sutter and Virtanen were smart gambles, but they didn’t work, and we cut them. Versteeg would have paid off if Calgary didn’t snipe him. There’s no downside to trying.

Lavoie being there is interesting to me. It’s a make or break year so it’s a good sign he’s here putting in the effort

I don’t hate the idea, but I’d rather a safer bet like Dermott as well

Reactions: McDoused

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Take a regular shift, that kinda rules Neimalainen out then.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Why do I keep thinking the PTO is for overrated Dermott? We need puck movers and not players like him

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Seravalli on ON says DeAngelo not coming to Edmonton, no interest from the Oilers.
Considering his age and what he was in his prime he should be a top target. It seems like he let the distractions he caused to get the best of him

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Another RD off the market. Finding one is brutal.

That’s not a bad deal for them but its been a bad offseason for Francis and the Kraken. That team is going to be stuck in mediocrity for awhile. The one fluke year where they made the playoffs I think has set that team back imo. Good for us I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad