Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So apparently we talked to Giordano. He is almost 41 years old.

I do wonder if (and that's a giant size if) they are leaning that direction, but they don't want to announce a signing/PTO because of the Gaudreau tragedy and want to at least wait until after the funeral, as it would become like a sports story in Alberta and they might be sensitive towards that.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
This is completely off topic, but I saw an article about Petr Nedved, so I looked him up, trying to remember when his brief stint with the Oilers was. I have no memory of his 2nd stint though...
I met Nedved when he was a kid. He came over to Canada to play in the Mac Tournament and defected. He became friends with some family members in Edmonton. He was a fantastic talent. Like you I had forgotten about that second stint.

Reactions: Myride

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This is completely off topic, but I saw an article about Petr Nedved, so I looked him up, trying to remember when his brief stint with the Oilers was. I have no memory of his 2nd stint though...

I liked Nedved but he got in his own way sometimes. HE came off as a guy who was more interested in the money side of hockey then the on ice product.

side note. The oilers in 1990 draft(Nedved draft) had the famous draft of not a single player drafted by the oilers made the nhl. 11 draft picks and not a one made the nhl. Scott Allison who we took at 17 was hampered by injuries. The other north american guys we took were all out of hockey within about 5 years. All the Europeans we took played 10+ years in Europe. No idea why none came over accept for Keijo Sailynoja. I met him years ago(at one of the world championships) and he said he never had any intention on coming over due to family and other reasons. He thought about it but never seriously

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Yes it is. I'd say in today's market he is probably a $7-7.5M defenseman. But he will always be tied to that contract unless the team wins and he plays great.

$7-7.5 million dmen don't get demoted in the playoffs.
And let's be totally honest. Nurse didn't get scratched cuz of his contract. Ceci did cuz of his. That game prior it was Nurse who literally orchestrated Ceci into a handful of those giveaways

Reactions: Heavy Dee

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
So with Shattenkirk interesting in the Oilers, he might be a fit with Nurse. He's a Barrie style player, but with more experience and a bit better defensively, the Blueline like this might not be too bad

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Shattenkirk
Kulak - Emberson
Stetcher

Josh Brown RD/RW as like a floating tough guy type
Shattenkirk can get f...ed. He refused to waive to come to Edmonton and now he can't find a job of course he wants to come.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
$7-7.5 million dmen don't get demoted in the playoffs.
And let's be totally honest. Nurse didn't get scratched cuz of his contract. Ceci did cuz of his. That game prior it was Nurse who literally orchestrated Ceci into a handful of those giveaways
$7-7.5M today would be the cost of a #3 defenseman. Nurse is still a legitimate #3 defenseman.

Reactions: Duke74

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Ekholm, Nurse, Kulak

Unless we move on from Kulak, where does Gio play?

Problem is the next 3 LHD in the system have a combined 38 games played and are all trainwrecks defensively. If something happens to the main 3, it's a hole they're going to struggle to plug.

I notice Niemo still isn't signed anywhere, I wouldn't be opposed to tossing him a PTO for a look in camp.

I can think of worse things than a #7 that can keep his head above water defensively and brings great size plus physicality. The big issue with Niemo is his health, but that's not as much of a concern as a #7/8 that's just going to see spot duty.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
So with Shattenkirk interesting in the Oilers, he might be a fit with Nurse. He's a Barrie style player, but with more experience and a bit better defensively, the Blueline like this might not be too bad

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Shattenkirk
Kulak - Emberson
Stetcher

Josh Brown RD/RW as like a floating tough guy type

Shattenkirk is closer to a #7 than a #4.

I'm not against signing him, but we need to aim higher for a second pairing RHD.

Maybe they're hoping Emerson emerges

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So it looks like we will have 945k in cap space to acrue even with 13 forwards + 7D. Both Puckpedia and Capwages now such it as such.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I think Gio belongs in the glue factory (for more than just his age), the argument for adding him is as other posters mentioned, they simply don’t have any NHL experienced LD for a callup.

I don’t mind the idea of Shattenkirk or Schultz but they have lots of “maybes” to try out at RD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad