Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Show me a good playoffs? He was victimized in the Play In series, and just incase you try, DO NOT cite minutes played as an argument.

Nurse has been abysmal in every playoff series he's played. No exaggeration needed.

Also, just go back watch the Van series and thar "perfect defensive" team game win.
Van choked us out on the board that series and game. Ekholm adjusted by using the boards less and chipping to Bouch.
Bouchard adjusted by flipping it up the middle.......Now go rewatch Darnell. He just kept using the boards over and over...except in that particular game Van had trouble settling pucks and taking advantage. So we get the win and Darnell gets credit for being part of that "perfect game", despite giving Van over a handful of chances to punish us.

I'm not exaggerating I just don't have blinders on
Nurse had a good series against the Jets.

He hasn’t been bad in every playoff series he’s played

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So with Shattenkirk interesting in the Oilers, he might be a fit with Nurse. He's a Barrie style player, but with more experience and a bit better defensively, the Blueline like this might not be too bad

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Shattenkirk
Kulak - Emberson
Stetcher

Josh Brown RD/RW as like a floating tough guy type

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Nurse's playoffs have been a problem overall.

The play-in is phony bullshit, I don't think anything about that entire playoff is real or matters. I do think Nurse was the best Oiler in the 2021 series against the Jets, but, like, we got swept so what does that really mean anyway? I guess it's proof of concept that he could play like 45 minutes into overtime taking literally every second shift and be a positive.

I cut him some slack in 2022 because he got half-crippled right before the playoffs. He would not have played any of those games if they weren't playoff games, and it was clear he was immobile due to injury - especially against the Avalanche.

2023 and 2024 were not good. Except if you look at the WOWY and see that all of the metrics shoot through the roof when double-agent Cody Ceci wasn't also on the ice. Not to say he wasn't problematic in his own right at times, but when your d-partner gets all of the pucks put into his corner and loses the puck to forecheck more than any other defender on either team... it's a hole to crawl out of.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So with Shattenkirk interesting in the Oilers, he might be a fit with Nurse. He's a Barrie style player, but with more experience and a bit better defensively, the Blueline like this might not be too bad

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Shattenkirk
Kulak - Emberson
Stetcher

A guy who no one even wants to sign on a PTO in 2nd week of Sept is WILLInG to come here now..

Whoop d doo

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom and AM

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Unfortunately, Crosby would be more likely to land in Colorado to play with MacKinnon than Edmonton.
Yeh I wouldn't push too hard to get Sid out of Pittsburgh like Toronto media is. He'd be going straight to Colorado and would make our competition harder. It'd also set another precedent that star players should leave their hown towns which we don't want in relation to McDavid.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Nurse's playoffs have been a problem overall.

The play-in is phony bullshit, I don't think anything about that entire playoff is real or matters. I do think Nurse was the best Oiler in the 2021 series against the Jets, but, like, we got swept so what does that really mean anyway? I guess it's proof of concept that he could play like 45 minutes into overtime taking literally every second shift and be a positive.

I cut him some slack in 2022 because he got half-crippled right before the playoffs. He would not have played any of those games if they weren't playoff games, and it was clear he was immobile due to injury - especially against the Avalanche.

2023 and 2024 were not good. Except if you look at the WOWY and see that all of the metrics shoot through the roof when double-agent Cody Ceci wasn't also on the ice. Not to say he wasn't problematic in his own right at times, but when your d-partner gets all of the pucks put into his corner and loses the puck to forecheck more than any other defender on either team... it's a hole to crawl out of.
in 2022 he was good in the first 2 series before playing the avalanche.

He was also good against the kings in 2023.

Oddly enough his best series last year was against Florida, but I put that more on puckluck than anything, because him and broberg got absolutely destroyed in scoring chance share.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
The game winning cup clinching goal scorer of the 24-25 Oilers Stanley Cup victory has arrived.
That goal he got coming off the bench to get that McDavid feed was a beauty.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Shattenkirk
Kulak - Emberson
Stetcher

As long as we don't go over the cap or use up LTIR...he'd have to come real cheap. REAL cheap.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
A guy who no one even wants to sign on a PTO in 2nd week of Sept is WILLInG to come here now..

Whoop d doo
You think he wouldn't pass up a chance at a cup? Maybe he's like a bunch of others here that will take a pay cut and buy in?

Hmmm possible.

Contract Status​

Cap Hit of $3,900,000 to 2022-23
Cap Hit of $1,050,000 to 2023-24 (UFA)

Oilers at 945,833 in cap space.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Unfortunately, what you have described is a $9M+ defenseman right now.

The reality with Nurses is that he is mostly a positive contributor and when he is on the ice 5 vs 5 the Oilers almost always come out at least neutral but often ahead.

I am going to give you what I am sure will be a controversial stat but one I have looked at over the years. Take a look at the number of games each year that a defenseman ends up with a -ve overall. In Nurse's case over the last three years he has been a negative 60 times. Here are the numbers for some of the top defensemen in the league on some of the better teams:

Josi 73/229=31.9%
Hedman 74/236=31.4%
Makar 60/188=31.9%
Heiskanen 67/227=29.5%
Nurse 60/234=25.6%
Pietrangelo 78/ 217=35.9% (I actually don't think he is still a top defenseman.)
Adam Fox 59/232=25.4%
Quinn Hughes 65/236=27.5%

The thing with Nurses is that his errors are so noticeable that they burn into memory and they often ending up in goals against. But what is going to be less notable is that most of the time he is actually a pretty solid contributor. Now do these numbers prove anything profound, I can't make that claim. But what I thing they do show is that I suspect that if he was the disaster that some on here see him as there is no way that he could come out neutral or better so often.
Nurse is fine. The 9m though is abit rough.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Shattenkirk
Kulak - Emberson
Stetcher

He’s 35. I’d pass.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Seravelli said on his podcast they're trying to bring him in on a PTO but he's refusing PTO at the moment

I wonder what he wants for a contract. If he’d take league minimum you’d think it would be easy enough to just sign him and if he doesn’t make the team, you waive him and he either gets claimed, or becomes a solid callup option.

Friedman says Kevin Shattenkirk wants to come to Edmonton and a lot of players are taking Edmonton off of their no trade lists.
He believes McDavid is staying for sure

You’ve got to think the only guys who wouldn’t at this point are guys who just want to coast out the rest of their career somewhere warm, and don’t care about winning

Whoop d doo

How do you know no one is willing to sign Shattenkirk to a PTO? He could very well have contract offers but is only willing to go to a contender

Yes it is. I'd say in today's market he is probably a $7-7.5M defenseman. But he will always be tied to that contract unless the team wins and he plays great.

Agreed. In a world where Severson makes 6.25, Faulk makes 6.5, Zadorov makes 5.0, etc, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with Nurse’s contract if it started with a 7.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Nurse is a very good Dman who has given some bad performances. Last year he had reached a good level while we were on that 16 game streak to save the season.

Whatever you believe about Nurse, I say you can choose what you believe so why not take the positive spin on him? There is no option to trading him so imo that is the rational take.

The optimistic view on Nurse is that we have not found the right partner for him ever since Barrie's game lost a step. If a player doesn't have a good fit, it will hurt them not just statistically but also in terms of them developing bad habits.

So yes I will harp on this until our team finally does it. Get a real top 4 Dman in the 2nd pair RD spot. If we get a legit Dman there and then Nurse is still bad, then I will say that Nurse is the problem, and that there is no optimistic interpretation of him. As of now, the rational take on him is that we are wasting him.

So sure, try Shattenkirk or Schultz but I'm not holding my breath. As placeholders they are okay. The playoffs are what matters so we better get someone established and great.

We seem to have endless ability to find millions to add forwards. One more top 4 D shouldn't be such a chore to discover

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Totally and I would shocked if he was over $1M (even that seems high)
I definitely think we should make sure whoever it is is buriable. So that's 1.125 unless that number has risen lately. But I agree with you in that every 100k matters. You'd think PTOs will take what they can get (although maybe some bottom feeders are offering decent cash but they want a good team)

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Shattenkirk is interesting.. haven’t watched him too much for a few years but if he can skate I know he’d be NHL caliber and reliable enough.

As far as Crosby, god it would be a dream to have him join the Oilers. He would definitely choose Colorado though and part of me would love to see it, except I’m sure they’d f*** us over and win the Cup.

Maybe if we had some Olympics the last few damn years McDavid and Crosby would be buddies, winning two golds together.. stupid NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad