Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Some talk today about the captain skates last year wearing the guys down a bit going into the season.

I actually don’t think it was a bad idea, it worked for the Canucks who did the same thing. Maybe some guys just went too hard, I know Ekholm was basically competing in the gym with Hamblin instead of his usual routine and got hurt.

I think for the guys that played deep in the playoffs, especially the guys that played big minutes, don’t rush it. But the new guys, or role players, I love seeing them so eager to skate.

I’m not counting on Savoie to even play this year but man I have a great feeling about this kid. Really wanna see him play with top 6 regulars in the pre season.
These guys are pro athletes at peak performance. Crazy to suggest a few casual skates in September will make these guys tired to start the season/into the season

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
These guys are pro athletes at peak performance. Crazy to suggest a few casual skates in September will make these guys tired to start the season/into the season

They weren't just casual skates. Per this article from Spector, straight from McDavid:

“Definitely, last year taught us that you can't win the Cup in September and October. But you can certainly put yourself in a tough spot.”

“I went with a little bit of a different strategy this summer,” he said. “In years past, it's just been very volume heavy, Very go, go, go. Throw everything at the wall and hope something sticks. That strategy, as well as it's worked for me, I think about the beginning of last year.

“I was just very tired and fatigued from a long summer of training, and was not feeling very good on the ice. And it translated.”

The lesson?

“You don't necessarily need to peak Sept. 18, but you need to peak for Oct. 9 when the first game is,” he said. “This summer I took some time off the ice, rested a little bit. I was working hard off the ice, but I didn't go on the ice until August. Five great weeks on the ice, and I'm feeling good and ready to roll again.”

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What Darnell Nurse “situation”?

Kneeordano at 40 is not better than our #9 D and I don’t even know his name.

I was gonna say Ceci, but we traded him.

This whole "captains" skate was overblown.

A majority of the players have started skating and going into camp at the same time every year, this is just the year that the "captains skate" story blew up.

Draisaitl is already back in Edmonton skating.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Short of a miracle trade where we could move Nurse, stay as good or get better, and not have to sell basically every good asset we have to do it, the solution is going to be internal.

There is a player there, but Nurse and the team both have to change their approach to fix things. Nurse needs to recognize his faults and work hard to stop them, the team needs to manage him different until he’s proven he can handle a 25+ minute role again.
Exactly. I want him gone too, but that's not really going to happen right now, so you make due. The emergence of the Ekholm-Bouchard pairing helps take the pressure off, now it's up to coaching and management to find the other spots where they can help him to be more effective overall.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I was gonna say Ceci, but we traded him.

This whole "captains" skate was overblown.

A majority of the players have started skating and going into camp at the same time every year, this is just the year that the "captains skate" story blew up.

Draisaitl is already back in Edmonton skating.
From what I'm gathering from McDavid's comments is he trained too hard last summer. I mean at the end of 22-23 there was talk about how mad he was and that he was going straight into training. Even freak of nature's like McDavid need some sort of break.

Although personally I rather him have not even commented on something like that. Just leave the past in the past and talk about the future

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Nurse will surprise all of you haters this year and you will be glad we have him.

I can honestly see this happening.

The last 3 playoffs have all gone poorly for Nurse, but the team's solution has always been to just run him back out there with Ceci. It's been the definition of insanity.

This is the first time since fall 2021(!!!) that Nurse will have a partner that accelerates faster than a Lada driving uphill. Emberson and/or Stecher don't need to be miracle workers, they just need to be able to play a Kulak-like game, with quick puck retrievals and clean first passes.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Oiler fans breathe..

Frank Seravalli said on the Kevin Karius Show this morning that the Oilers are after Justin Schultz. They are still talking to him. Oilers do NOT have interest in Deangelo
Why would that make Oiler fans breathe? Schultz was pretty bad last year and is getting long in the tooth.

These guys talked about... Schultz, DeAngelo and Barrie prior to his Flames PTO aren't needle movers at all. All 3 need PP time to be effective which they won't get here and are negatives at even strength. Maybe for camp competition sure or as insurance just in case Bouchard gets injured but otherwise, none of these guys are what the Oilers need.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

McDavid overtrained in the summer and the captains skates were pretty intense from what I heard. McDavid, McLoed and Ekholm all were injured pre-training camp at them.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Dude what are you talking about? If we move Nurse, our defence is

Ekholm Bouchard
Kulak Emberson
Stecher Brown

Does that strike you as Cup quality?

Nurse gets paid way too much but he’s still a good defenceman even if he has faults. He’s not a 9 mill Dman but we can’t do anything about his salary anymore.

He had a bad season but he can have a comeback season. If the guy was making 6.5-7 million, a lot of people in Edmonton would be kissing his ass. Complaining won’t fix this or odd ideas of playing him at forward or forcing McDavid to trade him.

Dude isnt wrong. And Nurse has been a bonafide tire fire in EVERY playoffs, it's way beyond 1 bad season

The Oilers don't need Nurse to make the playoffs and it's proven he is a liability 90% of the time post season.

The OPs logic is sound

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Why would that make Oiler fans breathe? Schultz was pretty bad last year and is getting long in the tooth.

These guys talked about... Schultz, DeAngelo and Barrie prior to his Flames PTO aren't needle movers at all. All 3 need PP time to be effective which they won't get here and are negatives at even strength. Maybe for camp competition sure or as insurance just in case Bouchard gets injured but otherwise, none of these guys are what the Oilers need.
what the Oilers need is a right handed version of Ekholm. Unfortunately, every team needs two of those and will never part with them unless you significantly overpay. We got unbelievably lucky to get Ekholm.

IMO, we try out as many options as we can so see if one fits adequately. We have to hope that one of Shultz, Emberson, Stetcher or Brown develops a chemistry with Nurse. Kemp is a longer shot but he should be given a chance as well. My money is on Emberson.

I would play Nurse in every preseason game so that every option gets a look

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Dude isnt wrong. And Nurse has been a bonafide tire fire in EVERY playoffs, it's way beyond 1 bad season

The Oilers don't need Nurse to make the playoffs and it's proven he is a liability 90% of the time post season.

The OPs logic is sound
Nurse switches to prevent defense the second the playoffs start. He isn't very good at it.

Ceci was just the wrong partner for Nurse... we might have won the cup if Knoblauch didn't insist the Oil go back to that pairing early in the series. Why did he do that? They got hemmed in time and time again. Against a team that was noted for having an elite forecheck!

Hopefully Emberson can help get some added value from Nurse. That's a big ass ask from a player with 30 games experience. If not, they need to keep looking for the right partner. Adam Larsson isn't the guy for the job IMO.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I was kind of surprised looking at GA/60 rate 5 vs 5 for Schultz. Over the last 8 years it has ranged from a high of 2.78 (Washington 2021-22) to a low of 1.96 (Washington 2018-19) and his median xGA/60 is 2.3. Ceci with Edmonton has averaged around 2.60 GA/60 with a median xGA/60 of 2.68.

You can't read too much into this of course but it does not seem like Schultz has been bleeding goals against while he has been on the ice. On the flip side Schultz's 5 vs 5 offensive numbers are definitely better than Ceci. One aspect where there is a big difference is in IPP. Schultz over the last three years has been in on over 40% of the goals scored when he was on the ice 5 vs 5 and 60% last year which is actually quite good for a defenseman. Ceci tends to be in on low 30% of the goals scored when he is on the ice.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

The OPs logic is sound
Another thing that is sound is sniffing glue, but we don't go saying it's the best thing around. There is more logic that Nurse can have a bounce back year vs he gets worse, especially when he has been dealing with a nagging injury the last 2 years.

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Another thing that is sound is sniffing glue, but we don't go saying it's the best thing around. There is more logic that Nurse can have a bounce back year vs he gets worse, especially when he has been dealing with a nagging injury the last 2 years.
Is this nagging injury his brain? Because last time I checked, a core injury doesn't impair ones hockey IQ.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
what the Oilers need is a right handed version of Ekholm. Unfortunately, every team needs two of those and will never part with them unless you significantly overpay. We got unbelievably lucky to get Ekholm.

IMO, we try out as many options as we can so see if one fits adequately. We have to hope that one of Shultz, Emberson, Stetcher or Brown develops a chemistry with Nurse. Kemp is a longer shot but he should be given a chance as well. My money is on Emberson.

I would play Nurse in every preseason game so that every option gets a look
Of course but that's just not feasible. I'd settle for a steadying presence for the 2nd pair which is why I don't see any of these talked about PTO options as a good option outside of some warm bodies for camp to create competition.
One could argue that Nurse functions better with a puckmover to lessen the puck carrying load on him which is where the mistakes occur but I'd argue stronger that Nurse needs less chaos alongside him, somebody who can settle his game down.

DeAngelo is an interesting case. By the numbers, you see a guy that has put up big numbers for a few seasons but then you see that the Rangers moved on from a 24 year old Dman who played almost 20 minutes a might put up 53 points with a +12 then the Canes moved on from a 26 year old Dman who put up 51 points and a +30!!!! both organizations that know the value of Dmen and you realize that there's way more than meets the eye when it comes to this player.

With that said, a PTO certainly can't hurt. If the off the ice stuff checks out and the leadership group is ok with bringing him in, I'd prefer DeAngelo to the other options simply because there's more upside and a puck moving element with him that the others don't offer.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Reactions: McHelpus

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Nurse will surprise all of you haters this year and you will be glad we have him.
I sincerely hope so.

What are the odds Emberson only plays 49 games this season while he needs 50 games for the Oilers to retain his rights?
I'm thinking he's going to have a really good chance to make 50 with the coach's familiarity. It's the age old trust who you know mentality. Plus if he fits as advertised, it could be a win win for everyone.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
What are the odds Emberson only plays 49 games this season while he needs 50 games for the Oilers to retain his rights?
My guess is they give him 10 games. If he looks good or like something they can work with, he fairly easily gets 50 games. If his first 10 are terrible, I think they waive him to try and send him down.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I sincerely hope so.

I'm thinking he's going to have a really good chance to make 50 with the coach's familiarity. It's the age old trust who you know mentality. Plus if he fits as advertised, it could be a win win for everyone.
Of course Nurse has a chance to improve, he's a tremendous athlete but he's got the wrong attitude. Hopefully every journalist in the Nation and beyond making it crystal clear that his contract is a detriment to the Oilers chances at success moving forward is the steel-toed boot up his entitled ass he needs to recognize then correct the obvious shortcomings in his game.
My guess is they give him 10 games. If he looks good or like something they can work with, he fairly easily gets 50 games. If his first 10 are terrible, I think they waive him to try and send him down.

The second I heard Emberson needed 50 games played this season for the Oilers to retain his rights as an RFA the fact won't escape my mind.

It's the responsibility of every poster on this forum to make it crystal clear to the Edmonton Oilers organization that playing this guy 50 or more games needs to be a priority. He'll gain invaluable experience while the Oilers retain a long term asset if they do right by the player.

He should play the first 50 games of the season if healthy. After that if they want to sit him they can consider it.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

"Nagging injury" has to be the lamest excuse nowadays. Remember when Yakupov and Puljujarvi were "struggling" cuz of "nagging "injury"?

2 years ago he definitely was hurt post season, you could see it in his board play, however.....

You're the one sniffing glue if you chalk up his consistent bad decision making these playoffs to an injury. That's just cliche and lazy. Try harder

Reactions: Stauf4Prez

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Of course Nurse has a chance to improve, he's a tremendous athlete but he's got the wrong attitude. Hopefully every journalist in the Nation and beyond making it crystal clear that his contract is a detriment to the Oilers chances at success moving forward is the steel-toed boot up his entitled ass he needs to recognize then correct the obvious shortcomings in his game.

The second I heard Emberson needed 50 games played this season for the Oilers to retain his rights as an RFA the fact won't escape my mind.

It's the responsibility of every poster on this forum to make it crystal clear to the Edmonton Oilers organization that playing this guy 50 or more games needs to be a priority. He'll gain invaluable experience while the Oilers retain a long term asset if they do right by the player.

He should play the first 50 games of the season if healthy. After that if they want to sit him they can consider it.
That is actually insane that you suggest that. If he shits the bed completely in the first 10 games then no, he shouldn’t get another 40 only to retain him. If he is good enough, keep playing him. If he isn’t, then the 50 game threshold should be WAY down the list of priorities. Number one is finding someone that is an asset and not a liability.

Reactions: On The Prowl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad