Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I prefer Shattenkirk of those 3, he had the best results on paper last season, he did it on a strong team and in an offensively biased role, but the core of his game is intelligence and passing which tends to hold up better with age.

Barries I want least his game is largely based on puck rushing, I think that element of his game is effectively dead cause he lacks the speed for it and he is weak on d-zone puck retrievals. I think the book on him is you dump it in his corner and get the puck back without much resistance.

Schultz I'm a little curious if Coffey is the guy to resurrect his career, but he's a guy that needs a pretty extreme o-zone bias to justify his spot and how terrible his goal differential was despite that is very worrying.

I don't know about 3 times as good, but he is the guy I want, I think he is underrated and one of the better value propositions around.
It all depends on the contract. I could see Barrie and Schultz signing cheap. I suspect that Shattenkirk might want more. The last thing they want to do is to go the bonus route unless they know that they have a significant discount in the bag for both Draisaitl and Bouchard which at this point they do not.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I like the idea of Barrie on a PTO. He was well liked in the room. The team lost some guys they were close to, so some familiarity could be nice. I don't see anyone else who's really any better anyways - and it's just a place holder until the deadline.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
All,

Staples mentioned D’Angelo as someone to look at. I can’t remember, but isn’t he a bit of a head case? (D’Angelo, not Staples….thats a debate for another thread) I know the troops here will educate me ;):thumbu:

Thanks in advance
Is Dangelo signed in the khl for next season?

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
If Letang is traded to Montreal, I could see the Oilers grabbing David Savard at 50%. Ideally we would get another team involved and have it at 75% so that we are still accruing cap space.

I'd also like Jake Evans. Both are UFAs so it's only a matter of time before they are traded.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think they'll give Barrie a PTO and that'll be that. We'll make a trade closer to the deadline or on the deadline.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Barrie is nothing without PP time. He won't be getting any here. Shattenkirk and Schultz can actually play even strength. Either of those two should be our targets

To be honest in a limited regular season role, Giordano is probably better than all of these guys still. His advanced defensive metrics are better than all of them.

Reactions: McWeber

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Not sure I see the logic of targetting a defensive liability that needs copious amounts of PP time to bring positive results.

Barrie, Jultz, Shattenkirk, and Klingberg all scratch an itch that isn't really there. Nor are they going to get a spot where the Oil can really shelter them. It sorta worked in 2021/22 with Barrie and Bouchard, but as we saw in 2022/23 it can quickly go off the rails.

Of the the bottle of the barrel UFAs, Lindstrom's the only RHD that makes some sense.

Though I admit, I also want to see Kemp get a long look in camp. It wouldn't surprise me to see him quickly steal the big, physical, defensive defenceman role from Brown, and push his way into the lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: stewy04 and jukon

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Barrie is nothing without PP time. He won't be getting any here. Shattenkirk and Schultz can actually play even strength. Either of those two should be our targets
Actually Barrie's 5 vs 5 numbers with the Oilers were decent to good. In a small sample size he did quite well with Kulak who he might actually fit well with at this point in his career. The key will be can Emberson surprise and handle that second pairing RHD slot.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
It all depends on the contract. I could see Barrie and Schultz signing cheap. I suspect that Shattenkirk might want more. The last thing they want to do is to go the bonus route unless they know that they have a significant discount in the bag for both Draisaitl and Bouchard which at this point they do not.
II thought we were talking about PTO's to challenge Stecher for his spot in camp, I'd have trouble justifying anything above $1M for any of those 3 there is very much a reason all 3 are still sitting in free agency.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
II thought we were talking about PTO's to challenge Stecher for his spot in camp, I'd have trouble justifying anything above $1M for any of those 3 there is very much a reason all 3 are still sitting in free agency.
I agree that is what we are talking about and I suspect that Barrie and Schultz would fit that bill. However I don't see this happening with Shattenkirk. The guy has never really indicated a desire to play in Canada. If he was willing to take that money without a bonus I think he would have been signed. This is why I said it depends on the contract. If he was then yes, he'd be an excellent choice.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
With Broberg gone, I wonder if David Jiricek would be a longshot possibility if one of these RDs work out and CBJ isn't able to mend fences.

Them not qualifying Boqvist was a move, but when that talk comes out that a prospect isn't happy with the situation, sometimes it's difficult to turn back the clock.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
With Broberg gone, I wonder if David Jiricek would be a longshot possibility if one of these RDs work out and CBJ isn't able to mend fences.

Them not qualifying Boqvist was a move, but when that talk comes out that a prospect isn't happy with the situation, sometimes it's difficult to turn back the clock.
I think that ship has sailed.

Columbus is super shallow at RD now. Things would have to be really ugly behind the scenes to move Jiricek.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think a PTO would be pretty silly. They've got plenty of bodies for camp. Focus on snagging another Emberson on waivers like San Jose did if you want to add someone.

For instance, a guy like Kaedan Korczak likely doesn't make Vegas this year and he's waiver eligible now. Josh Mahura or Cale Fleury or going to hit waivers in Seattle. There's Ronnie Attard in Philly. Ian Mitchell and Alec Regula in Boston. Sam Malinski in Colorado.

I don't know why they really need another defenseman right now with Stecher and Brown being there to swap between #6D and #7D, but there's going to be a ton of bodies on waivers better than the corpses of Schultz and Barrie.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think a PTO would be pretty silly. They've got plenty of bodies for camp. Focus on snagging another Emberson on waivers like San Jose did if you want to add someone.

For instance, a guy like Kaedan Korczak likely doesn't make Vegas this year and he's waiver eligible now. Josh Mahura or Cale Fleury or going to hit waivers in Seattle. There's Ronnie Attard in Philly. Ian Mitchell and Alec Regula in Boston. Sam Malinski in Colorado.

I don't know why they really need another defenseman right now with Stecher and Brown being there to swap between #6D and #7D, but there's going to be a ton of bodies on waivers better than the corpses of Schultz and Barrie.
Between Stecher, Brown and Emberson I think the D slots will be filled. I dont see why Stecher/Emberson cant fill in for 2nd/3rd pairing on the right side with how they performed last year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Between Stecher, Brown and Emberson I think the D slots will be filled. I dont see why Stecher/Emberson cant fill in for 2nd/3rd pairing on the right side with how they performed last year.
My worry is that none of the 3 can fill the spot next to Nurse. If Emberson does that well then we are a better team than we were last season on the blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad