Rumor: Rumors & Proposals: "Looking for a trade to happen, making stops along the way."

In the spirit of Cloned's poll threads, what is highest on your offseason Oilers wish list?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd like to see Benson in the Kahun spot but I loce the look of that. Coleman-Krejci might be prohibitively expensive as 3rd liners though.
I mean maybe, but it's why you have McLeod and Bouchard on the roster to balance. Plus they can always play up.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
As much as I'd love all these UFA's to sign here, the reality is, Edmonton isn't an attractive place for UFA's to sign.

- Yes we have McDavid and Drats, but we really aren't close to winning a cup, so the veterans chasing a cup likely go elsewhere.
- I'm sure a ton of these NHL'ers would much rather go to somewhere warm.

UFA's are only signing here if we overpay them or give them long term deals that no one else is offering. Rakell, Coleman, Goodrow, Hyman, Hamilton, Schwartz are all guys I'd love to see here, but are all players on other teams radars. They aren't signing here unless we pay them like 15/20% more than the rest of the market.

I could see us making a play for 1, maybe 2 of those type of guys, but it'll cost us. I think we're more likely to see us signing your less sought after guys.

I think the Oilers are a LOT closer to winning a cup than many of us think. The difference between a good team, which the Oilers already are, and a great team, isn't that far apart. It's 2-3 players usually, and in Edmonton's case the team is lucky enough that those 2-3 are role players mostly. They aren't looking for the Kings and Aces, they already have those for the most part. They are looking for the 9s, 10s, and Jacks. NHL players are a pretty cocky bunch, you have to be to be in their shoes, and I think there are plenty of them who would look at Edmonton's roster and think they were the final "piece of the puzzle" to go on an extended run.

Honestly, if I told you that Yams has a bounce back season next year, they re-signed RNH and he went back to the player he was in 2018/19 and 2019/20, that 1 of Holloway or McLeod came in and provided a little spark, and that Bouchard played good and worked on the top-PP, would any of that surprise you, or seem crazy? All of that would come from internal growth and wouldn't include bringing in anybody new. Yes, the stars have to align a little bit, but what I just proposed isn't nearly as crazy as saying "Holloway came in and scores 100+ points as a first line C". There are plenty of teams that are still looking for that light-years jump from an internal player to become a legit 1st line star, because they don't have Drai (let alone a McDavid). We have McDrai, and I'm pretty confident that we have an at least passable #1 D in Nurse, all in their primes. We need to fill in around the edges now.

Historically, I'm one of the most negative posters on this board, and have been for years and years and years. But I don't see the reason for panic here, I think we have the core that can win it all. Yes, we have had 2 disappointing playoff losses after really solid seasons, but I would argue that both of those series were "strange" for their own reasons, especially the Jets series. If we replay that Jets series another 100 times, I think we win 65 of them.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
So all hope is lost, probably best to give McDavid and Draisaitl a chance to be successful elsewhere. I mean that's probably a silly take, but it does help temper expectations.
I'm just saying we're likely not going to see all these big guys come over lol.
I think a more realistic scenario is we sign 1 or 2 good names, promote a couple guys from Bakersfield. If we can prove next year our team can compete I think we'll be more attractive for better guys to sign the year after.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I mean maybe, but it's why you have McLeod and Bouchard on the roster to balance. Plus they can always play up.

Depends how long they sign for. Nurse and Puljujarvi will need substantial raises soon. I can see one of Krejci/Coleman but not both, and honestly there are probably cheaper options that might be similarly effective. One of those options is likely internal (Holloway).

X-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Holloway/Y-Y/Holloway-Kassian/Khaira
Benson-McLeod-Archibald

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm just saying we're likely not going to see all these big guys come over lol.
I think a more realistic scenario is we sign 1 or 2 good names, promote a couple guys from Bakersfield. If we can prove next year our team can compete I think we'll be more attractive for better guys to sign the year after.
Totally, it's so much easier to say, there's no hope so why try.

This team wasn't perfect, but they also weren't a horrendous team, maybe things aren't as bad as players outside the organization might thing. If Barrie gets paid that will also interest others looking for a one year bump.

Like FFS, the Oilers' division next year is Vegas, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Anaheim and San Jose, you know, not a super deep divison.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Depends how long they sign for. Nurse and Puljujarvi will need substantial raises soon. I can see one of Krejci/Coleman but not both, and honestly there are probably cheaper options that might be similarly effective. One of those options is likely internal (Holloway).

X-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Holloway/Y-Y/Holloway-Kassian/Khaira
Benson-McLeod-Archibald
Coleman is definitely looking for a longer deal, but Krejci for 1 year can be fit.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I get the feeling Holland is going to try and sign players he's familiar with first, like Glendenning and Mrazek. I have no other basis for this aside than just gut feeling.

I'm more than okay with both to be honest but I'm hoping Grubauer makes it to free agency. If Kahun stays, maybe Draisaitl and him can convince Grubauer to change allegiances.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I keep looking at the list of forwards, it's going to be an interesting year. There are alot of names of guys who have been effective NHL players.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I get the feeling Holland is going to try and sign players he's familiar with first, like Glendenning and Mrazek. I have no other basis for this aside than just gut feeling.

I'm more than okay with both to be honest but I'm hoping Grubauer makes it to free agency. If Kahun stays, maybe Draisaitl and him can convince Grubauer to change allegiances.

I feel like Glendening would be a pointless signing. We need an upgrade at 3C, not another 4C. We already have at least 3 players who can play 4C adequately (Khaira, Shore, McLeod). I wouldn't mind Mrazek though - a Mrazek-Smith tandem with Skinner hopefully challenging as some point and Koskinen shot into the sun would be something I could live with.

Reactions: iCanada

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Easy answer is nothing, but goals are by far the most difficult thing to generate. When you're looking at the bottom six, the Oilers need to add a player capable of making an impact.

I'm not saying they don't.

I'm saying focus on guys like Goodrow that have made an impact while playing reliable hockey and not guys like Turris who give you some offensive impact at the cost of horrendous defense that cancels out that offense.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
The worst part of the depth is that it's so bad that there's basically no trickle down effect when you add to the top of the roster. Like normally when you add a top6 winger, everyone else gets knocked down a rung and they end up playing where they should.

To me, the Oilers could add two top six LWers and a top six RWer and they'd still be looking for a legitimate third line quality LWer and C for the third line.

I agree, but I also think Holloway and McLeod ameliorate things a little.

I think bare minimum we need two top 6 wingers and a 3C, presuming you have one of Holloway / Yams take a top 6 spot. Then you also need a #1 goaltender and a #2 LD.

That's 5 guys in like 20 million in cap space. Doable, but wicked tight.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm not saying they don't.

I'm saying focus on guys like Goodrow that have made an impact while playing reliable hockey and not guys like Turris who give you some offensive impact at the cost of horrendous defense that cancels out that offense.
Not in disagreement, but Turris was a small gamble that just didn't pay off. His inability to generate offense was a much bigger disappointment than his ability to prevent goals being given up.

He's a player I expect to work hard this summer to salvage what's left of his career.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Grubauer also shat the bed in the playoffs. I'm scared of him

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I feel like Glendening would be a pointless signing. We need an upgrade at 3C, not another 4C. We already have at least 3 players who can play 4C adequately (Khaira, Shore, McLeod). I wouldn't mind Mrazek though - a Mrazek-Smith tandem with Skinner hopefully challenging as some point and Koskinen shot into the sun would be something I could live with.

I disagree and think Glendenning would be a huge help. He was 60+% in face off wins. That would have come in handy against Winnipeg when the team couldn't win a draw in their own zone to save their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium