Rumor: Rumors & Proposals: "Looking for a trade to happen, making stops along the way."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

In the spirit of Cloned's poll threads, what is highest on your offseason Oilers wish list?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What does everyone think of Mike Hoffman?

Maybe offer him some more term to bring that number down. So maybe 4x4?

Still capable of scoring 30 goals and 60-70 points.

I worry about 4 years for the Hoff, but I'd be okay with that dollar amount. He can score, but he's not a driver, so he could be good on wing with McD or Drai.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
That's fine, they get a shot on PP1, with 2 great passers out there. If Nuge leaves, it covers that.

I think it would help change up the powerplay and keep it near the top of the league. McDavid could feed Hoffman on the left or Drai on the right for the powerplay.

Also, Hoffman has 47 even strength points over the past 3 seasons, which is okay (good for 55th in the NHL). That's not AMAZING but its definitely not terrible. Also, it's hard to not see him pop in a few more playing with McDavid. Don't get me wrong he's played with some great 2-way forwards but his numbers would increase with McDavid.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
We absolutley have to sign at least a couple of UFA's this summer. A one year deal for Krejci should be a no brainer for us. I can't imagine he chooses Edmonton though. We've been passed over far too many times for me to expect that, ha ha. I would want him for the 3C role if we signed him.
?? - McDavid - Pulujarvi
?? - Draisaitl - Yamamoto/??
??/Holloway/McLeod - Krejci - ??/Yamamoto

I would offer him more than $5 Million on a one year deal. If he wants a multi year deal I am less enthusiastic.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think it would help change up the powerplay and keep it near the top of the league. McDavid could feed Hoffman on the left or Drai on the right for the powerplay.

Also, Hoffman has 47 even strength points over the past 3 seasons, which is okay (good for 55th in the NHL). That's not AMAZING but its definitely not terrible. Also, it's hard to not see him pop in a few more playing with McDavid. Don't get me wrong he's played with some great 2-way forwards but his numbers would increase with McDavid.
Absolutely, he's also a guy who knows what he is, so if it's a tight game and they want a better defensive forward on McDavid's wing, he would likely understand as well.

Reactions: McDoused

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I don't trust Holland to not go nuts..

Guy was gonna give Markstrom ALL THE MONEY

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Move Kassian, Neal & Kosk, let RNH walk.

1LW: Hall/Hyman/Saad
1/2RW: Palmeiri
2/3LW: Tatar/Coleman
3C:Tierney/Laughton/Patrick/Kadri/Stastny/Cizikas/Wennberg/Krejci
3LW: Goodrow

#1RHD: Jones/Hamilton/Barrie/Dumba
#2LHD: Martinez/Gostisbehere/Murray

1A/1B G: Anderson/Rask/Mrazek

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's pretty bad. Kassian and Archibald are both bottom line guys. Archie can move up. Kassian can some days, but that's a problem in itself. I expect Khaira to not be qualified. He makes too much to be a 4th liner. I'm not sure what I expect Holland to do with Kahun, he's still inexpensive so I can see him back, but I don't know where he fits.

Oh, and let's not sell the farm for Seth Jones. We need more than a rental.

EDIT - Forgot McLeod in my earlier layout. That was an error, I have added him as 4C.
That's fair on Khaira, I thought he might be qualified to be traded out East (that's sort of what I expect for Kassian as well)

Kahun was actually pretty good last year, 9 goals in the shortened season, the issue is he's not a fulltime top-6 forward, but as a bottom-6 forward who can provide spot duty in the top-6, I think he would accel for this team going forward.

No worries on McLeod, making him 4C seems like the simplest idea, he can play his way up the lineup, though I would still add someone like Glendenning to add depth and support.

Edit: As for selling the farm for a rental, I don't see it that way, but without the possibility of extension I would only offer so much for Jones.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
So that's not true? IT's not odd that 3 teams have let him go even after some very good seasons? I can't say much on Hamilton since I don't see him play much. I'll be happy if we get him but Canes fans really hate him (which is what I'm scared of )
It’s absolutely not true. Good players switch teams for various reasons. 2 of the 3 times Hamilton moved is because of money.

Chris Pronger played on 4 teams and was moved for various reasons as well.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Oh come on Beerfish, this fanbase is incredibly pessimistic. The years of hope leading to nothing have turned us collectively into a bunch of complainers.

Oh, no, no no no. You have it 100% backwards.

If you look at the naysayers vs the sunshine squad the sunshine squad wins out easily. Especially at the time a move has been made. The fan base is moderately more critical than they used to be.

Go back and look at thread on almost every move this team makes and they are all praised when they happen, even the absolutely worst moves imaginable are praised.

Reactions: barry halls

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Speculation of Hyman getting 6x6?

Id rather trade for Nylander.

Where did this come from?

I like Hyman as he 49 even strength goals over the past 3 seasons (165 games) and +48 over those games. Thats just under 0.3G/GP.

That's better than guys like Point, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Barkov, Landeskog, Svechnikov, etc.

Having said that he's been playing with great players and has injury issues. Anything that doesn't start with a 4 will be bad.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
If Hyman gets 6X 6, it had better not be from us. That's this years Lucic contract.

Except worse. Lucic at least was a premier power forward with cup winning experience. Hyman has a career high 41 points, Lucic had 50 his first year in Edmonton.

Hyman is a better version of what they want from Chiasson. Except if anyone watch the playoffs, like Chiasson, Hyman was set up for multiple grade A chances right around the net by Marner and failed to do anything with them.

North

Jun 25, 2009
You're right, a lot has to depend on how much Svech will get on his new contract, Dougie's asking price, and who they lose in the ED.

The ED being the bigger wildcard of the 3.

Isn’t the rumour that Dougie is asking for around 8 mill per if not more?

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Let's wait until after Holland makes his moves to be pessimistic about them.

Why? Holland hasn’t earned our optimism. His work as an Oilers GM has been just ok. His more recent Red Wings years were mediocre. People can be glass half full or glass half empty when looking at this GM, either approach is justified.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Oilers gotta fork out the cash or players to upgrade. Jones or Hamilton with Nurse = best pair in the NHL.
Really don't think we need a Jones or a Hamilton. I think all that does is hamstring the team even more.

That's just the McDrai situation on the top pairing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The bottom six didn't score a whole lot more in 16/17, but they were vastly better defensively. That's been the team's issue in the past few seasons. The scoring is below average, but the defense is waaaaaay below average.

McLellan used McDrai in more defensive situations which helped the bottom six a lot. I don't know if they'll be able to find good enough bottom six players to get back to breaking even like they did in 16/17 with the way Tippett uses them.

Exactly, which is why I said that they don't necessarily need plus scorers in the bottom 6, they just need more reliability. Even with someone like Ryan Strome at 3rd line center, this team would be miles better with a break even 3rd line if they had McDavid and Draisaitl running two consistent scoring lines in the top 6 which is why a top 6 winger is the priority, in addition to 3rd line center.

Hell, I feel like the Winnipeg series even with the rag tag group at winger they had this season would have taken on a different complexion if Tippett didn't stubbornly stick to the McDrai line leaving all the other lines dry, not DRY but dry. That's the key for long term success, those two remaining split, and a 3rd line that merely breaks even so the forward group doesn't need a complete facelift. Fill those two key spots, top 6 winger and 3rd line center, and it changes the complete look of the forward group.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Isn’t the rumour that Dougie is asking for around 8 mill per if not more?
I had Dougie ranging from 7-8.5M from my earlier post.

The point I was making with that particular post was that, it'll open up more cap space for Carolina if Seattle takes Skjei instead of Foegele. So there's a big swing on Carolina's cap space depending on what Seattle does.

No doubt some team might over spend 8M+ for him.

Maybe he'll take a cheaper deal to stay in Carolina if he likes playing there. :dunno:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
We absolutley have to sign at least a couple of UFA's this summer. A one year deal for Krejci should be a no brainer for us. I can't imagine he chooses Edmonton though. We've been passed over far too many times for me to expect that, ha ha. I would want him for the 3C role if we signed him.
?? - McDavid - Pulujarvi
?? - Draisaitl - Yamamoto/??
??/Holloway/McLeod - Krejci - ??/Yamamoto

Yeah I see the forward lines with the addition of Krejci as:

??? - Mcdavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Drai - Yamamoto/???
??? - Krejci - Yamamoto/???
Archibald - McLeod - Kassian

Edit: Leaving out Holloway until we know what we've got in him. Start in the AHL?

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oh, no, no no no. You have it 100% backwards.

If you look at the naysayers vs the sunshine squad the sunshine squad wins out easily. Especially at the time a move has been made. The fan base is moderately more critical than they used to be.

Go back and look at thread on almost every move this team makes and they are all praised when they happen, even the absolutely worst moves imaginable are praised.
And when nothing is happening, all we get is complaints. That is a textbook example of pessimism.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Btw you guys weren't kidding about Dougie Hamilton on the Canes board. They really don't like him... at all

Its probably similar to our board with Barrie. I think people like Barrie but they are scared of that next contract.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why? Holland hasn’t earned our optimism. His work as an Oilers GM has been just ok. His more recent Red Wings years were mediocre. People can be glass half full or glass half empty when looking at this GM, either approach is justified.
I just don't see the point in complaining about something that hasn't happened yet.

Reactions: North
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad