Prospect Info: Jesse Kiiskinen -RW

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Reading scouting reports on Kiiskinen is encouraging that he is for sure not a throw away prospect and we actually got a potential player.

He was 17 when drafted and young for his draft year. Got a taste in liiga as a Draft Eligible and played all year there as a D+1 apart from 8 games where he had 21 points for the U20 team. He scored 4g6a in 38 games with the Pelicans last year.

Wings need wingers and this guy is probably the 2nd or 3rd best winger prospect in the system now behind Mazur and maybe Buch.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

Not a great skater but he gets to where he needs to be.

I like the tenacity in his game.

He might only be a B prospect but I'm not mad at essentially moving Gibson for this guy. Kiiskinen seems like a decent gamble as a bottom 6 forward.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I rate Gibson and I’m entirely hoodwinked by the Walman deal so I’m going to cope by convincing myself that this guy is the next, idk, Artturi Lehkonen?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I rate Gibson and I’m entirely hoodwinked by the Walman deal so I’m going to cope by convincing myself that this guy is the next, idk, Artturi Lehkonen?

Maybe. If he can develop into a 15-15-30 guy that can be a pain in the butt, forecheck hard and kill penalties then he'll be a solid pickup for the Wings.

I like what I've seen from this guy in the draft year stuff I posted but remember that he's still a total longshot, same as Gibson is. Kiiskinen is very young and hasn't even turned 19 yet. We've got another 3 years before we need to sign him and can give him a lot of developmental runway.

Does anyone know what his expected role is next year in Liiga?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Does anyone know what his expected role is next year in Liiga?
Well he has a good chance to grab a big role, HPK is a piss poor team, players are playing on food salary.

Here's a couple line projection from finnish forum made by HPK fans.
Rautiainen-Topping-Tuulola
Huttunen-Lundell-Skinnari
Ruokonen-Päivärinta-Kiiskinen
Sinkkonen-Järvelä-Toivonen/Savolainen

Skinnari - Topping - Tuulola
Rautiainen - Lundell - Kiiskinen
Janhonen - Korhonen - Huttunen
Ruokonen - Päivärinta - Sinkkonen

Kiiskinen-Topping-Tuulola
Skinnari-Lundell-Rautiainen
Janhonen-Päivärinta-Huttunen
Ruokonen-Korhonen-Aaltonen

Skinnari-Lundell-Kiiskinen
Päivärinta-Järvelä/Janhonen-Huttunen
Ruokonen-Korhonen-Aaltonen/Sinkkonen.

So top-6 role seems to be the consensus right now, it shouldn't be too tough task to beat Rautiainen, Skinnari and Huttunen but Tuulola might be tough nut to crack. 2nd or 3rd line winger at the U20 Worlds.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Well he has a good chance to grab a big role, HPK is a piss poor team, players are playing on food salary.

Here's a couple line projection from finnish forum made by HPK fans.
Huttunen-Lundell-Skinnari
Ruokonen-Päivärinta-Kiiskinen
Sinkkonen-Järvelä-Toivonen/Savolainen

Skinnari - Topping - Tuulola
Rautiainen - Lundell - Kiiskinen
Janhonen - Korhonen - Huttunen
Ruokonen - Päivärinta - Sinkkonen

Kiiskinen-Topping-Tuulola
Skinnari-Lundell-Rautiainen
Janhonen-Päivärinta-Huttunen
Ruokonen-Korhonen-Aaltonen

Skinnari-Lundell-Kiiskinen
Päivärinta-Järvelä/Janhonen-Huttunen
Ruokonen-Korhonen-Aaltonen/Sinkkonen.

So top-6 role seems to be the consensus right now, it shouldn't be too tough task to beat Rautiainen, Skinnari and Huttunen but Tuulola might be tough nut to crack. 2nd or 3rd line winger at the U20 Worlds.

Thanks for the input. What would be considered a successful season for a top 6 winger in Liiga? I don't follow that league nearly as closely as the SHL or the NL.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Thanks for the input. What would be considered a successful season for a top 6 winger in Liiga? I don't follow that league nearly as closely as the SHL or the NL.
In HPK 25-30 points i guess, last seasons leading scorers for HPK scored 23 points. So 20-25 would be good numbers. Oliver Kapanen might be good comparison, he scored 27 points in 55 games in his D+2 year

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Per EP (the source I'd trust the most on keeping tabs on measurements) they have Gibson at 6'3" 203lb and Kiiskinen at 6' 192lb. Kiiskinen was drafted at 17, so he had some growing left to do. Still might at only 18yo.
Per Hockeydb.com the measurements I wrote were from there .

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If there is one thing Detroit needs is more small wingers. What a shitty trade
The moves today make no sense unless something follows. Trade a promising and well developing RHD for a second and an underwhelming undersized winger who didn't exactly tear apart the Liiga, and dump a decent defenseman like he was a 38 year old with a 2 year, 6 million dollar contract.

Just absolutely head scratching, and if it's just to resign Ghost and go into next season with the same roster then Yzerman needs to be jettisoned.

Reactions: Go Wings

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This Kiiskinen <> Gibson trade had nothing to do with Walman.

It was just a prospect swap.

Think Kiiskinen was 2nd youngest and played 2nd most games (38 games) of Liiga-rookies. Pelicans was just strong team where could not fit to scoring role. Situation at HPK could totally change this next year.

But good indicator is that rare 18-year old is that good defensively, to be used at Bottom6 role.

Only Emil Hemming, 2024 draftee, was younger than Kiiskinen, played 40 games, scored 1 point more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad