Rumor: Rumors & Proposals: "But it was not, an interesting day" - the narrator

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will it be an interesting (Fri)day in Oil Country?

• Sources say it could be

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • Sources say nothing imminent

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • Sources say tarot cards are my sources

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Sources say "ask again later".

Votes: 63 47.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Why can't Ken Holland do the same? Why is it dollar in dollar out, Karlsson unlikely until summer, and being minor moves that will do f*** all like Ghostbear or Lafferty? God forbid some fans want our GM to be more proactive and assertive rather than hold back and be a passive f***ing GM.

The gullibility is what I don’t understand. Obviously Holland isn’t going to spell out to plans just to appease HF spares.

Dubas says he isn’t trading 1sts for rentals then blows his brains out for Ryan O’Reilly. Clarke says “why would I trade for Mike Comrie?” then immediately does so. It’s almost as if GMs aren’t obligated to be open books.

Stauffer says unlikely until summer, Gregor says they made an offer on Karlsson. Whose word are you taking as gospel there?

You’re acting as if Gostisbehere and Lafferty are Oilers, which doesn’t even make sense if you’re whining about missing out on O’Reilly and Acciari.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
They think it scales and extrapolates if given the added ice time and against better competition. PJ is the advanced stats little darling goldenboy despite his Blown Shots / 60 and Falling Down Like A Newborn Giraffe is far above expected.
You and i are from a business background and I understand how to look at and deal with anslytics

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I said right from the beginning of the year that playing with a reduced roster will bite this team in the ass. Holland could easily have addressed this by waiving JP since it should be abundantly clear to anyone that he won't be an Oiler in 2023-2024. If he gets claimed you now have $3M in cap space that you don't have to spend assets to try and manufacture. If he does not then he becomes easier to trade and you can recall him if needed.

The theory that they are holding him because Grier wants him as part of the Karlsson deal makes little sense. Were that the case trade him to SJ for futures right now. Or better yet make the Karlsson trade and be done with it.

As to the whole JP/Yamamoto war the reality is that both need to be gone to improve the team by at the latest the end of next year but preferably before. That $6.1M in cap space can be far better spent in places where there is real need.

Holland doesn’t seem to possess the sense of urgency to make a major in season move. He needs the off season to do major signings or trades. Even then his patience with PJ has really hurt this team when he should have let him walk in the off season.

We nearly cratered the season last year waiting for Tippett to be canned. This year we are a wildcard team only because Calgary and Minnesota can’t get their shit together either.

I’ve really no faith Holland can pull off the double retention deal it will take to bring in an impact player nor will pay the price for a Lafferty to improve the PK.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I said right from the beginning of the year that playing with a reduced roster will bite this team in the ass. Holland could easily have addressed this by waiving JP since it should be abundantly clear to anyone that he won't be an Oiler in 2023-2024. If he gets claimed you now have $3M in cap space that you don't have to spend assets to try and manufacture. If he does not then he becomes easier to trade and you can recall him if needed.

The theory that they are holding him because Grier wants him as part of the Karlsson deal makes little sense. Were that the case trade him to SJ for futures right now. Or better yet make the Karlsson trade and be done with it.

As to the whole JP/Yamamoto war the reality is that both need to be gone to improve the team by at the latest the end of next year but preferably before. That $6.1M in cap space can be far better spent in places where there is real need.
With regards to the reduced roster it's absolutely flabberghasting that we've had multiple games this season where we've had to run 17 player rosters. It is some of the worst cap management in NHL history. I can't remember the last time a team was forced into dressing this many short manned lineups to start the games. Literally can't even ice a full lineup which puts completely unnecessary strain on players and coaches both deployment wise and chemistry wise. No flexibility to mix and match lineups, no option to rest or bench players, overplaying or overmatching players, having to line blender from minute 1 etc.

Oct 15, 2017
With regards to the reduced roster it's absolutely flabberghasting that we've had multiple games this season where we've had to run 17 player rosters. It is some of the worst cap management in NHL history. I can't remember the last time a team was forced into dressing this many short manned lineups to start the games. Literally can't even ice a full lineup which puts completely unnecessary strain on players and coaches both deployment wise and chemistry wise. No flexibility to mix and match lineups, no option to rest or bench players, overplaying or overmatching players, having to line blender from minute 1 etc.
It's even worse because it's like this for subpar players lots of nights. It's not like we are running short with absolute studs in the lineup.

I'm quite shocked at how little information local reporters actually provide. Everything comes from either. Pierre, Frank or Elliot and really anything that local reporters put out is usually debunked. How does that make any sense? Sometimes I think the oilers are actually troll spec with what he puts out. It's usually not even close to what the oilers do

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Have to think Kane is giving his list asap after his two rumoured favorites to be traded to pulled the trigger on other deals before waiting to see if he is actually available.

For 3 months I could see him really just going to any contender at this point with his commentary.

Reactions: 29292929

Oct 15, 2017
Oilers need EK for this roster construction to flourish. The bottom six isn't built to defend. The defense is built to defend by transitioning the puck up to a forwards quick. The only issue is this here and no make a pass so they get hemmed in. For some reason lots of the media think that getting someone who cross checks hard in front of the net will solve that issue. It won't. The weather issues happen when they have complete control of the puck in their own zone and can make a simple pass to their forwards and then other team takes it back in. And then you have an entire shift of the 97 or 29 stuck in their own end. Trying to just skate the puck out themselves .Having some brute man would not have helped them be Colorado Colorado one because they got the puck out of theirselves so efficiently and so quickly oilers didn't even have time to recover.

Right now you can get Patrick Kane for a second that a prospect. And how's the time to strike? Because it's top two teams that you want to go to have already picked up big players. If Holland got Patrick Kane has a rental and get EK they were completely change everything. The Oilers right side Nobody is scoring. It's essentially a black hole of production other than Derek Ryan if he's a center.

So as of now the orders have a bottom six who can't play hard to defend well an entire right side forward group who can't score. And a decor can't make a 5 foot pass level of trespass to get it to there. Quick strike forward s in 29+97.

Last edited:
Reactions: Homesick

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Boeser RW @50% 3.325m
For
Yamamoto RW, 3.1m
Neimelainen LD .762*
2024 1st

Sam Lafferty C 1.15m
For
Foegele LW 2.7m
2023 2nd

Karlsson RD @40% 6.9
For
Barrie RD 4.5m
Puljujarvi RW 3m
2023 1st
2025 1st
Xavier Bourgault

Money Out 13.3
Money In 11.3

Hyman-McDavid-Boeser
RNH-Draisaitl-Kane
Kostin-McLeod-Holloway
Janmark-Lafferty-Ryan

Nurse-Karlsson
Kulak-Ceci
Broberg-Bouchard
Desharnais

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The gullibility is what I don’t understand. Obviously Holland isn’t going to spell out to plans just to appease HF spares.

Dubas says he isn’t trading 1sts for rentals then blows his brains out for Ryan O’Reilly. Clarke says “why would I trade for Mike Comrie?” then immediately does so. It’s almost as if GMs aren’t obligated to be open books.

Stauffer says unlikely until summer, Gregor says they made an offer on Karlsson. Whose word are you taking as gospel there?

You’re acting as if Gostisbehere and Lafferty are Oilers, which doesn’t even make sense if you’re whining about missing out on O’Reilly and Acciari.

Don't care. Make a trade to improve the team or Holland can f*** off.

Reactions: Hockeylife2018

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Boeser RW @50% 3.325m
For
Yamamoto RW, 3.1m
Neimelainen LD .762*
2024 1st

Sam Lafferty C 1.15m
For
Foegele LW 2.7m
2023 2nd

Karlsson RD @40% 6.9
For
Barrie RD 4.5m
Puljujarvi RW 3m
2023 1st
2025 1st
Xavier Bourgault

Money Out 13.3
Money In 11.3

Hyman-McDavid-Boeser
RNH-Draisaitl-Kane
Kostin-McLeod-Holloway
Janmark-Lafferty-Ryan

Nurse-Karlsson
Kulak-Ceci
Broberg-Bouchard
Desharnais
I love it, there's still space to add a veteran defenseman as depth like Holden or Braun

Reactions: Homesick

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Finally mcdavid shows some emotion in his post game interview. I really wish he had a mean streak to him, if anyone could force Hollands hand it would be mcdavid and him saying something like make a move or move me type of demand. Shit would hit the fan.......

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
We have 6 games before the trade deadline, and have 4 losses in our last 5 games, with 3 of them being decided by 1 goal. 2 of those games could have been won if our PK wasn’t completely abysmal.

Holland needs to do something immediately. It doesn’t have to be a Karlsson type move, but even something seemingly minor like not having Desharnais out there on the PK is inexcusable with how bad it’s been lately, and how it’s cost us at least 2 points in this last stretch. As frustrating as it is, we’re still fighting for a playoff spot and we don’t have the luxury of a wait and see approach.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
Finally mcdavid shows some emotion in his post game interview. I really wish he had a mean streak to him, if anyone could force Hollands hand it would be mcdavid and him saying something like make a move or move me type of demand. Shit would hit the fan.......
What did he say? I missed this.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
It's even worse because it's like this for subpar players lots of nights. It's not like we are running short with absolute studs in the lineup.

I'm quite shocked at how little information local reporters actually provide. Everything comes from either. Pierre, Frank or Elliot and really anything that local reporters put out is usually debunked. How does that make any sense? Sometimes I think the oilers are actually troll spec with what he puts out. It's usually not even close to what the oilers do
Yeah these 17 player lineups usually mean the same 6 guys get ran into the ground (McDavid/draisaitl/Hyman/rnh/nurse/Ceci) and hurts their performance/consistency due to workload.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
So have we all calmed down and got off the ledge of the building? I'm gonna guess all that raging last night was too much drinking. Now let's see if the Oilers do something today. Gonna enjoy my day, despite the few that wanna get their panties in a bunch.
I would suggest it wasn’t enough.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
On a side note double retention seems to be less expensive than we initially anticipated. Minnesota double retaining 25% on ror only yielded them a 4th round pick. Obviously it's only a half season compared to say 4 seasons with Karlsson, but I'm wondering if you could get away with only playing a 2nd round pick for, say, 1.5 million retained 4 years. Then again dumbas was able to dump a worse player than Kass in Mrazek for less draft capital so that could just be negotiation gap.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm starting to think Holland is allowing leaks of all kinds of misdirection and is why most media guys are saying contradicting things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad