Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Trade Deadline Thread 2.0, Trade Deadline 4/12 3PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
They've also shown to have far fewer weaknesses on their current rosters. Notice how neither one of them is trading for a scoring winger? They're not concerned about the team's ability to produce primary offense. They're focused on shoring up their depth so they're not a one or two-line attack going deep into postseason.

'Renting' Taylor Hall isn't going to help with the Oilers' depth issues. Their checking lines will still routinely be outscored. The defensive depth will still be poor and still be one injury away from being a complete gongshow. The PK will still be a struggling unit and the team will still be losing draws at a significant rate.

Throwing draft picks at Hall is akin to putting lipstick on a pig. It mirrors what the team did when Hall was here the first time, trying to outscore the humorous flaws the team constantly had instead of taking the time to address them all.

If this is a "developmental year", then the Oilers should be selling their pending UFA's (Barrie) and playing younger players (Bouchard). At least that's a strategy.

Going into the playoffs and standing pat would be a mistake. I don't think that's what they're going to do even if the media thinks it's the right thing to do.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I feel like some of these old Gms just keep the excuse to stand pat as job security for another year- you can't screw up by not making themove, while young guys like Dubas have to try and prove themselves. So they are much more creative and have some risk tolerance.

Exactly. Dubas has been super creative with what he's done with the leafs. I'm not gonna blast on Holland yet since the deadline doesn't end until tomorrow.

This is the year to not worry about draft picks given the uncertainty of the draft. I don't really care if the Oilers aren't picking until the 4th round if it means getting a player who can help McDavid and Draisaitl now.

Agreed. Get McDrai some help now. These draft picks won't help the team for a couple of years. Tired of the 'patience, every year' crap.

The Oilers have 2 MVP top elite talents. Best player in the world. They have Nurse emerging as a #1.

We are trying to get support players here while some of our players cannot do dik all to help the big guys. Just wasting away.

I never understand this fettish with keeping a ton of draft picks when your window should be opening. What are they going to do during this window? When will we see most of or any of these players? in 4 years? 5 years?

I am not talking about going after some big rental. I am saying use picks/prospects, etc if you can land a solid supporting player.

It's insane that we have the top 2 scorers in this league for years, Nurse playing how he is now, etc, and a lot of people cry over DRAFT PICKS.

THANK YOU. But but draft picksssss, who gives a shit.

Reactions: Echodek

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Toronto spending all its picks.

I am not sure that this is the right year to go all in given the uncertainty of the covid, etc.

like they have not played any American teams. How can they be sure they are not going to get waxed?

Reactions: Samus44

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

So we might just have a chance to beat them now....

SF8MzIP.gif

Thanks Cowtown!

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The Oilers have 2 MVP top elite talents. Best player in the world. They have Nurse emerging as a #1.

We are trying to get support players here while some of our players cannot do dik all to help the big guys. Just wasting away.

I never understand this fettish with keeping a ton of draft picks when your window should be opening. What are they going to do during this window? When will we see most of or any of these players? in 4 years? 5 years?

I am not talking about going after some big rental. I am saying use picks/prospects, etc if you can land a solid supporting player.

It's insane that we have the top 2 scorers in this league for years, Nurse playing how he is now, etc, and a lot of people cry over DRAFT PICKS.

Chia messed everything up by trading draft picks and signing over priced veterans during Mcdavids first 2 seasons. That wasn’t the time to try and compete for the Cup. We have a pretty decent prospect pipeline now so it shouldn’t hurt the team to trade the 1st for the right player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad